Sir Reg to become Lord Reg...

DerryBee

BBC News - Sir Reg Empey to become a peer

I do not wish to rain on Sir…sorry, Lord Reg’s parade – because I do think that he is a gentleman – but why exactly has he been granted a peerage, aside of course from the fact that he is best pals with David Cameron?

Even though I think that Lord Reg has achieved a great deal in his life I do not think that he warrants a peerage, particularly as he never sat in the House of Commons but I guess becoming a Lord is one way in which to make it into Westminster...:roll:

Surely someone like Peter Robinson - like him or loathe him - is more deserving of a peerage given the fact that he did serve 31 years as an MP for Belfast East and achieved a great deal in his political career at a high level. Come to think of it, does anyone know if John Hume was ever offered a peerage?

Nevertheless congratulations Lord Reg of East Belfast...:D

Last edited:

Just Jack

Gerry Adams is probably more warranting of peerage

Arracht

Mickeymac

BBC News - Sir Reg Empey to become a peer

I do not wish to rain on Sir…sorry, Lord Reg’s parade – because I do think that he is a gentleman – but why exactly has he been granted a peerage, aside of course from the fact that he is best pals with David Cameron?

Even though I think that Lord Reg has achieved a great deal in his life I do not think that he warrants a peerage, particularly as he never sat in the House of Commons but I guess becoming a Lord is one way in which to make it into Westminster...:roll:

Surely someone like Peter Robinson - like him or loathe him - is more deserving of a peerage given the fact that he did serve 31 years as an MP for Belfast East and achieved a great deal in his political career at a high level. Come to think of it, does anyone know if John Hume was ever offered a peerage?

Oh Boy

DerryBee

What can one say when someone comes off with sort of that crap.

Do you vote UUP or DUP?
:roll:

This is why people should not assume that they know the answer to every question because I vote neither for the UUP or the DUP...:roll:

Other than your own prejudice, why do you have a problem with what I wrote?

SevenStars

What exactly has he achieved in his life?

Why congratulate some boot boy being set up with a cushy retirement plan for his services to a rather ugly part of recent English history?

Mickeymac

This is why people should not assume that they know the answer to every question because I vote neither for the UUP or the DUP...:roll:

Other than your own prejudice, why do you have a problem with what I wrote?

Read it again sir:

"Surely someone like Peter Robinson - like him or loathe him - is more deserving of a peerage given the fact that he did serve 31 years as an MP for Belfast East and achieved a great deal in his political career at a high level. Come to think of it, does anyone know if John Hume was ever offered a peerage?

Nevertheless congratulations Lord Reg of East Belfast..."

Disgusting to hear a Doire man heaping praise on these bigots, considering the way their political forefathers treated you folk.

DerryBee

Read it again sir:

"Surely someone like Peter Robinson - like him or loathe him - is more deserving of a peerage given the fact that he did serve 31 years as an MP for Belfast East and achieved a great deal in his political career at a high level. Come to think of it, does anyone know if John Hume was ever offered a peerage?

Nevertheless congratulations Lord Reg of East Belfast..."

Disgusting to hear a Doire man heaping praise on these bigots, considering the way their political forefathers treated you folk.

Firstly, I am not a ‘man’ and secondly, can you please tell me how John Hume is a ‘bigot’, which is an admittedly strange word for you to use given the nature of your own post. In my original message, I was not conveying my own political views rather I was objectively considering the credentials normally associated with individuals who are awarded a peerage, namely the length of service an individual obtains as a political representative at the national level of politics in the House of Commons. Objectively speaking, given the nature of the credentials which warrant a peerage there is little doubt that Peter Robinson will ultimately receive a lordship, and of course I also inquired whether John Hume has ever been offered a peerage because given his immense contribution to politics in Northern Ireland it would be shame if such a figure had not even been offered the position. Also, I do not think that you can argue that Peter Robinson has not achieved a great deal in his political career through his capacity as an MP and Minister. So whilst I believe that Sir Reg Empey should not have been granted a peerage due to his lack of political credentials, you would appear to be suggesting that he does not deserve a peerage because of his ‘political forefathers’, which is an utterly tenuous position to adopt. Never has David Trimble’s message that ‘just because someone has a past does not mean that they do not have a future’ been more relevant. Also, I am not remotely concerned by your ‘disgust’ at the tone of my original message…:D

Mickeymac

Firstly, I am not a ‘man’ and secondly, can you please tell me how John Hume is a ‘bigot’, which is an admittedly strange word for you to use given the nature of your own post. In my original message, I was not conveying my own political views rather I was objectively considering the credentials normally associated with individuals who are awarded a peerage, namely the length of service an individual obtains as a political representative at the national level of politics in the House of Commons. Objectively speaking, given the nature of the credentials which warrant a peerage there is little doubt that Peter Robinson will ultimately receive a lordship, and of course I also inquired whether John Hume has ever been offered a peerage because given his immense contribution to politics in Northern Ireland it would be shame if such a figure had not even been offered the position. So whilst I believe that Sir Reg Empey should not have been granted a peerage due to his lack of political credentials, you would appear to be suggesting that he does not deserve a peerage because of his ‘political forefathers’, which is an utterly tenuous position to adopt. Never has David Trimble’s message that ‘just because someone has a past does not mean that they do not have a future’ been more relevant. Also, I am not remotely concerned by your ‘disgust’ at the tone of my original message…:)

How was I supposed to know you were a Lady:lol: firstly I did not name Hume as a bigot, I was referring to the onionists you mentioned, secondly I did not say Empty should be denied a peerage because of his political forefathers misdeeds, thirdly I believe that such quangos like the house of lords should be abolished forthwith and lastly read a bit about that guy Trimble who you seem to admire.:lol:

Niall Stanage: The chutzpah of David Trimble | Politics | The Guardian

DerryBee

How was I supposed to know you were a Lady:lol: firstly I did not name Hume as a bigot, I was referring to the onionists you mentioned, secondly I did not say Empty should be denied a peerage because of his political forefathers misdeeds, thirdly I believe that such quangos like the house of lords should be abolished forthwith and lastly read a bit about that guy Trimble who you seem to admire.:lol:

Niall Stanage: The chutzpah of David Trimble | Politics | The Guardian

Firstly, I do not personally admire David Trimble but one cannot deny that his quote in regards to the past and future is admittedly a powerful sentiment. In regards to John Hume, I assumed that you were referring to the former SDLP leader in your previous post because you included that section of my initial message in your quote, thereby giving the impression that Hume akin to Robinson and Empey was a bigot: no harm done. I disagree with your view that the House of Lords equates to a ‘quango’ but alas you are entitled to your opinion...:D

SevenStars

John Hume is a bit of a bigot aswell as a someone with a history of collaboration with the occupation forces.

You arent "middle of the road" DerryBee because there is no middle way between support for national liberation and colonial aggression.

DerryBee

John Hume is a bit of a bigot aswell as a someone with a history of collaboration with the occupation forces.

You arent "middle of the road" DerryBee because there is no middle way between support for national liberation and colonial aggression.
God, this is tiresome!...:roll:

Disregarding your black and white comments, I wonder if you have ever heard of the Alliance Party? :D

SevenStars

Disregarding your black and white comments, I wonder if you have ever heard of the Alliance Party? :D
Uh, yeah....Its a Unionist party for Unionists squeamish about the murder of random "Cafalicks"....What of it?

DerryBee

Uh, yeah....Its a Unionist party for Unionists squeamish about the murder of random "Cafalicks"....What of it?
I honestly do not whether ignorance or prejudice has more of a role to play in regards to your comment...:roll:

SevenStars

I think its you a chara who are being deliberately ignorant about the nature of Ulster Unionism which has been open enough about what its about over the years.

Mickeymac

I honestly do not whether ignorance or prejudice has more of a role to play in regards to your comment...:roll:

Whay do onionists/alliance onionists resort to insults when veiws other than their own are expressed, I have came across this many times and on many forums?

fluffykontbiscuits

DerryBee all I will say is dont give up at any point in your believe for a moderate party, SS is the resident troll, ever since the IMF comes in she is afraid she might have to move from under her bridge......;)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies