• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Sister of Erin Gallagher has now killed herself.

Crazy horse 6

The teenage sister of a schoolgirl who committed suicide less than two months ago has died.

Shannon Gallagher, 15, who paid emotional tributes following 13-year-old Erin's death, was found dead in Co Donegal last night.

It is believed she had also killed herself.

The Donegal VEC, which runs Finn Valley College in Stranorlar, which both girls attended, said they were "trying to find the words and response to the tragedy".

"The school would still be in crisis mode," chief executive Shaun Purcell said.

The Gallagher family, from Ballybofey, were said to be "completely distressed" by the tragedy.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/sister-of-tragic-suicide-girl-erin-gallagher-found-dead-3325276.html

Suicide is now (and has been for some time) out of control in this nation. We really need to take a long hard look at the society we want and the one we are creating for certain sectors of our people. This is just so tragic and sad i am lost for words.

Last edited by a moderator:

tigerben

Lord, thou art hard on mothers:
We suffer in their coming and their going;
And tho' I grudge them not, I weary, weary
Of the long sorrow---And yet I have my joy:

Patrick Pearce.

My heart is breaking for the parents, they are carrying a heavy burden. RIP

Happytolearn

It makes me so fearful for all bullied teenagers. What a dreadful dreadful situation - This is becoming an epidemic. My heart goes out to the family.

revolution

My heart goes out to her parents,losing 2 kids to suicide must be soul destroying.
RIP

I've noticed that almost all UK coverage of the nurse who committed suicide contained a useful link.

Here's the Irish version:

Samaritans branches in Ireland | Samaritans

It might be an idea to include it in OP's on the subject.

pierrepoint

The unimaginable sorrow the family must be going through. It's impossible to even imagine how to comfort them. My heart goes out to them.

Hewson

People need to concentrate their efforts at supporting the parents and any other siblings now. Emotional support, physical presence and making time to be available for all of them is vital. There's an enormous depth of psychological pain following a suicide for the family left behind. To have that agony compounded many times over by a second death simply cannot be captured in words.

It can kill the strongest of characters.

Northtipp

It makes me so fearful for all bullied teenagers. What a dreadful dreadful situation - This is becoming an epidemic. My heart goes out to the family.
This story is very sad and you are correct. It's a bit heartening( hard in the middle of this story) but there are initiatives going on around the country. The kids are seem to be leading man themselves.here's but one example. it is hard to see the govt coordination though.

@pinkdsy0

Trampas

An appalling tragedy and one that makes it very difficult to discuss in any depth without adding to that family's great sorrow.

GDPR

Puts all little troubles into perspective.

There are no words for what that family are going through.

Happytolearn

This story is very sad and you are correct. It's a bit heartening( hard in the middle of this story) but there are initiatives going on around the country. The kids are seem to be leading man themselves.here's but one example. it is hard to see the govt coordination though.

@pinkdsy0
I agree that it's important to remember that the majority of kids would never be involved in bullying. If the initiatives are coming from the kids themselves they'll surely be more effective. (I'm not sure the link was right - brought me to a Russian baby clothes company)

Old Mr Grouser

"all bullied teenagers" - Sorry, HTL, I think there may be more to this than is in plain sight.

There's a real epidemic, and it's particularly bad in some places. It seems to be a particular problem in parts of Donegal.

The authorities need to have the drains up.

L'Chaim

My heart goes out to that poor family. I can't imagine what they must be going through right now. Accidents or illnesses that result in death can be coped with in time, but two suicides in a few months and both girls so young. The poor family must be beside themselves with grief and shock.

DSW1916

Very sad and shocking news - heart goes out to the parents of the two kids!!

General Mayhem

It's beyond contemplating tbh.

Could I very respectfully suggest that the thread title be changed and the girl given her own name, Shannon, rather than 'sister of Erin'?

Ribeye

One of the saddest things iv ever heard,

willow68

I'm pretty hardboiled, but I cried for these children and their parents. May the surviving family find the strength from somewhere to go on. What a tragedy. Deepest sympathies with the Gallaghers.