Sisters of Charity close school and sell; school buildings converted to apartments.

nakatomi

In 1998 the sisters sold off a school due to diminishing numbers attending , and possibly they needed the money , the site of 15 acres was sold for IR£ 9 million and a major apartment complex was built.
Some of the existing buildings were converted to apartments , this included the large classroom block facing onto Mill town road.
Was this classroom block built with state aid?

Dublin secondary school to close

The Convent | Projects | OMP Architects London, Dublin, Cork

Does this have lessons for us before we put €300 million into the new maternity hospital?

Last edited:

Levellers

You can bet your life the Sisters of Charity will make money from the new maternity hospital.

The smell of corruption is nauseating.

ger12

Major high tech hospital group campus vs small school with "diminishing" numbers.

Eh ....

Emily Davison

Nakatomi, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure the Dept of Education had a 'lien' on it. Perhaps a triple lock even. (triple lock is a joke, btw)

The Field Marshal

You can bet your life the Sisters of Charity will make money from the new maternity hospital.

The smell of corruption is nauseating.
Im delighted to see the Sisters of Charity making money.

The stench of envy and begrudgery is truly revolting.

Mushroom

In 1998 the sisters sold off a school due to diminishing numbers attending , and possibly they needed the money , the site of 15 acres was sold for IR£ 9 million and a major apartment complex was built.
Some of the existing buildings were converted to apartments , this included the large classroom block facing onto Mill town road.

Does this have lessons for us before we put €300 million into the new maternity hospital?
Indeed it does: the lesson is clear: if the NMH ever runs out of pregnant women, then those bloody nuns may sell it!

So my advice is that we should all keep on having consensual unprotected heterosexual sex. It's the only sure way to outwit those evil nuns.

nakatomi

Indeed it does: the lesson is clear: if the NMH ever runs out of pregnant women, then those bloody nuns may sell it!

So my advice is that we should all keep on having consensual unprotected heterosexual sex. It's the only sure way to outwit those evil nuns.
Perhaps it will do, our fertility rate is one of the highest in Europe., we could easily follow Germany, plus the wide spread introduction of home births and GP health centres might reduce the need for such a large maternity hospital.
If the price is right the nuns will sell.

Our only private maternity hospital was sold for 65 million to a developer,
Last baby to be born in days as Mount Carmel prepares to shut down - Independent.ie

There will be nothing to stop this happening to the new maternity hospital, or indeed St Vincents as a whole.

nakatomi

Major high tech hospital group campus vs small school with "diminishing" numbers.

Eh ....
The demand did decrease but now it is increasing, it is a pity the state could not hold onto buildings it paid for.

Milltown School Initiative

There was a pretty deliberate campaign to decrease the numbers so the nuns could sell on.

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail1994032200022?opendocument

Good to see Frances fitzgerald giving out about church patronage 20 years ago.

Last edited:

wombat

The demand did decrease but now it is increasing, it is a pity the state could not hold onto buildings it paid for.
The same could be said about the Harcourt st railway line but the state owns more than enough empty buildings as it is.

The_SR

I assume this is deeply ironic? A man who believes the current Vatican CEO is an imposter cannot support a group of nuns making profit from flogging land once used for good and spending it on themselves surely? That would be quite the mental reservation. Or just mental.

Stentor

Good post. Too real for many citizens (see below).

During the (snort-giggle) Tiger years, I had the opportunity to observe, at rather close quarters, these shenanigans.
Oh yes my fellow citizens. It is not just the Gilligans and the Kinehans that CAB and Revenue need to be hunting.

There are more target-rich environments for them both to hunt in. They want to. Well, Revenue do. CAB? Not sure.
Maybe CAB are compromised. I don't know. I have names. Oh yes my fellow citizens. Bad news for the anti-Christians at the RCC, SPUC and of course the Paedo enablers at IONA. The internet is your new God. The internet is going to send you to the Auto da Fe you sons of bitches. Nice and slow. Like a fat pig on a roasting spit. Your dripping fat will butter our bread. When we have consumed you, nobody will even remember you.

Watch it happen. I drink your salty tears IONA. Die grey head! Die and roast in your own hell. Free at last!

Last edited:

Stentor

Old grey head. You and your kind are dying. Who will defend the faith when you are all cold in the grave?

Your are revolted by the reflection of yourself. Funny.

My father is approximately your generation. You are a lepton to his Jupiter.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies