SJW Watch: School board removes 'chief' from job titles "out of respect for Indigenous peoples"

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
SJW Watch: School board removes 'chief' from job titles "out of respect for Indigenous peoples"

I think this is going way too far. Does the title "Chief" belong to Indigenous peoples?

Is every word going to end up banned for one reason or another?

Toronto District School Board removing 'chief' from job titles out of respect for Indigenous peoples | CTV News

"Canada's largest school board says it is phasing out the word "chief" from senior staff's job titles out of respect for Indigenous peoples.

The Toronto District School Board says it has been working on removing the term from job titles for a few years, and is close to eliminating it completely."

Last edited:

benroe

I think this is going way to far. Does the title "Chief" belong to Indigenous peoples?

Toronto District School Board removing 'chief' from job titles out of respect for Indigenous peoples | CTV News

"Canada's largest school board says it is phasing out the word "chief" from senior staff's job titles out of respect for Indigenous peoples.

The Toronto District School Board says it has been working on removing the term from job titles for a few years, and is close to eliminating it completely."
[video=youtube;YGC3y1BPzwA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGC3y1BPzwA&t=0s[/video]

sgtharper

There just doesn't seem to be any end to this mindless PC crap.

Where did the word "Chief" originate then? I'm bloody sure it wasn't in North America, among the "indigeous peoples".

edg

But chief isn't even an Indian word! The Canadian government sound so bored these days.

Polybius

Indigenous people In Canada are much better off because of the European settlers. The Europeans brought science, literacy, engineering, medicine, agriculture, architecture, philosophy, and democracy. Why do white people constantly need to apolagise for making the world a better place?

Levellers

Indigenous people In Canada are much better off because of the European settlers. The Europeans brought science, literacy, engineering, medicine, agriculture, architecture, philosophy, and democracy. Why do white people constantly need to apolagise for making the world a better place?
And genocide.

Old Mr Grouser

There just doesn't seem to be any end to this mindless PC crap.

Where did the word "Chief" originate then? I'm bloody sure it wasn't in North America, among the "indigeous peoples".
This may be about Effective Communication rather than Political Correctness.

All english-speaking countries now have a problem with people from non-english-speaking backgrounds who've learnt their english off of the televison.

They're literate enough to read the red-tops, they speak english with the local accent and phonetics - and all the slang - and they understand the simple things. But they're totally lost with official terminology and phrases (and the worse thing is that they don't say it).

It's bad enough here in London but it must be a particular bad in Canada with its -English Bilingualist Policy and the large indigenous population.

Ellen Ripley

How? :rolleyes:

silverharp

I read that as the Tonto District School Board

GDPR

Question: How many minutes do they have to the hour in Canada?

Answer: Obviously too many.

blinding

I think this is going way too far. Does the title "Chief" belong to Indigenous peoples?

Bravo !..........Hold on a minute that could be next !

Ellen Ripley

Howya, Chief?

Hope someone doesn't come up with another meaning for "head".

And what about chief bottlewashers, what are they going to do now at all?
I'm on the warpath about it myself.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
This may be about Effective Communication rather than Political Correctness.

All english-speaking countries now have a problem with people from non-english-speaking backgrounds who've learnt their english off of the televison.

They're literate enough to read the red-tops, they speak english with the local accent and phonetics - and all the slang - and they understand the simple things. But they're totally lost with official terminology and phrases (and the worse thing is that they don't say it).

It's bad enough here in London but it must be a particular bad in Canada with its -English Bilingualist Policy and the large indigenous population.

That may be the crux of the matter - people who rely on old Hollywood Westerns to try to understand what words indigenous peoples used for themselves and for positions within their societies.

The sad thing is that non-indigenous people in general (never mind school board administering SJW busybodies) would rely on old Hollywood Westerns to make such decisions in modern society.

Chief was a pre-existing English word, and isn't unique to North American indigenous peoples. It was simply a word used to describe the head person of North American indigenous tribes. Just as it was previously used in other places for people in leadership positions.

There really are too many SJW busybodies worrying about stuff that doesn't need to be worried about.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies