Sligo businessman says he had ‘no choice’ but to file for bankruptcy

RetiredProvo

Sligo businessman and former Renua candidate at the last GE says he had ‘no choice’ but to file for bankruptcy.

https://www.oceanfm.ie/2017/11/09/sligo-businessman-says-he-had-no-choice-but-to-file-for-bankruptcy/

Finbarr Filan, who is a prominent Sligo businessman and proactive in many commercial regeneration incentives in Sligo appears to have followed his brother Shane by filing for bankruptcy. An interesting read in the Sligo Weekender where he claims the debt burden is an ever increasing problem in this state.

When you proclaim the virtues of a free market neo liberal capitalist system and then get caught up in its whirlwind exhaust fumes in the form of a glorified " pass the parcel " ponzi scheme that the Irish property market was and is, you really should take your beating and call it as it is.

max99

These boys make me sick... Hiding away their fortune abroad, in various family members
bank accounts, and ever so slyly declaring 'bankruptcy'. I mean FFS..
Don't believe a word of it...
These pair are just laughing at the rest of us..
Those of us that 'actual taxpayers'. Up in the morning at 6, for the daily grind & commute, and to read this is actually nauseating....
What's that saying again ? ''Tax is only for the small fellas''

Eoin Coir

Look at Ivan Yates, went to Wales for a years as bankrupt tourist,back and flying on media here, drawing big Dail pension too.

Fractional Reserve

These boys make me sick... Hiding away their fortune abroad, in various family members
bank accounts, and ever so slyly declaring 'bankruptcy'. I mean FFS..
Don't believe a word of it...
These pair are just laughing at the rest of us..
Those of us that 'actual taxpayers'. Up in the morning at 6, for the daily grind & commute, and to read this is actually nauseating....
What's that saying again ? ''Tax is only for the small fellas''
So you have proof this ?

popular1

Look at Ivan Yates, went to Wales for a years as bankrupt tourist,back and flying on media here, drawing big Dail pension too.
well i was just thinking the same
i was watching the tonight show and he had a few guests including joan burton
the two of them talking away as if the last ten years never happened, both not a want on them

Analyzer

Could he not get a taxpayer funded debt write down from AIB ?

And then another one ?

And then a state contract ?

And then another one ?

And pay taxes in Malta ?

Jack O Neill

like to bring back the debtors prison would you ?

he had a business venture that failed , he chose the best bankruptcy route available to him and is now out of bankruptcy

he tried , he failed , people like you never try or just live off others handouts

hollandia

The fact his brother was in Westlife is a much bigger scandal. Should do time for that alone.

fat finger

like to bring back the debtors prison would you ?

he had a business venture that failed , he chose the best bankruptcy route available to him and is now out of bankruptcy

he tried , he failed , people like you never try or just live off others handouts

No. Wrong. Yates is taking his pension from the hard earned taxes of hard working Irish people here in Ireland. He and his fellow bankrupts should follow Irish bankruptcy procedure the way they should follow every other rule and regulation we have here. If he doesn't like that then he could always féck off back to Wales and see what kind of pension he could get over there, are you getting my drift here?

Lúidín

Ivan Yates was a personable radio presenter doing that double-act on morning Newstalk but the evening whinge against the lower orders and sucking up to his boss is positively vomitorious.

blokesbloke

One benefit for Ireland from Brexit would be that could stop when we leave. They can only do it because Ireland has to recognise a bankruptcy from any EU state, so people came here because our laws on bankruptcy are laxer.

You're welcome! :rolleyes:

New Threads

Most Replies