• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Sligo County Council Election 2009

essexboy

Don't think anyone has been officially nominated yet, but probably the usual crew.
Rumour in Drumcliffe Area that a local Garda will have retired by 2009 and may throw his hat in the ring for FF.

new face

Confirmes so far

Gerry farry Greens N Leitrim
Alwyn Love Lab Dromore West

Looking for nominations

Kieran ODowd FF Tubber
D Mulvey FG Dromore West

R

Red Revolutionary

Re:

essexboy said:
Don't think anyone has been officially nominated yet, but probably the usual crew.
Rumour in Drumcliffe Area that a local Garda will have retired by 2009 and may throw his hat in the ring for FF.
If thats who I think it is, what a nutjob.

R

Red Revolutionary

I cant see Devins running again, and if he does he wont get in.
Likewise Eammonn Scanlon will find it hard getting in.
I presume Henry will fancy her chances this time around.
Perry will be in again.
Bree will be running as an Independant, might squeeze in this time.
Likewise I can see Mc Manus doing better, doubt he will get in though.

essexboy

Red Revolutionary said:
I cant see Devins running again, and if he does he wont get in.
Likewise Eammonn Scanlon will find it hard getting in.
I presume Henry will fancy her chances this time around.
Perry will be in again.
Bree will be running as an Independant, might squeeze in this time.
Likewise I can see Mc Manus doing better, doubt he will get in though.
Scanlon cannot stand in the local elctions as he is now a TD. Which Devins do you mean - Jimmy who cannot stand either or Jude "the Obscure" from Rosses Point (very silent about the water disruption!).

new face

Dont know what Red Revoloutionary is on, but seems to have gone of track.
Hope they can recover from this blip and get back to reality.

With the boundary changes for the locals, many sitting councillors are in trouble.

McGarry Sligo/Strandhill
Sherlock Dromore West
Lundy Tubbercurry

The changes look very interesting for Dromore West
There is 2 distinct areas, 1 North and west of the Ox mountains and the other South of the Mountain.
I believe that Love labour has been campaining in this area since May
He seems to have a very high profile there.

McGarry is the first general election canditate to lose votes in their local area compared to local election.

Lundy has done nothing in The Tubber area and only got in because of poor canditate selection by other parties.

essexboy

new face said:

With the boundary changes for the locals, many sitting councillors are in trouble.

McGarry Sligo/Strandhill
Sherlock Dromore West
Lundy Tubbercurry

There is 2 distinct areas, 1 North and west of the Ox mountains and the other South of the Mountain.

McGarry is the first general election canditate to lose votes in their local area compared to local election.

Lundy has done nothing in The Tubber area and only got in because of poor canditate selection by other parties.
poor canditate selection by other parties

Aidan Calleary's brother is wanted for sex crimes in Arizona - hardly the best recommendation for a candidate - but Aidan was still elected in Tubbercurry.

Sligoboy

new face said:

McGarry Sligo/Strandhill
Sherlock Dromore West
Lundy Tubbercurry

As much as I dislike Mcgarry his seat in the locals is safe enough. He has a strong personal vote and the boundary changes don't affect him from what I can gather. His performance in the GE cant be used as an example to show him in trouble locally. If any thing his vote from his own ward held up reasonably well, there was no significant decrease and certainly not the meltdown that had been predicted. It must be remembered that Labour has been steadily losing votes for well over a decade in GE's in this constituency.

Needless to say there will be no major surprises in the Locals. All current cllrs with the exception of perhaps McManus jnr are fairly certain of retaining their seat. As much as I'd love to see it there will be no major back lash against FF over the Cancer services issue. On that note however the councillors who have been most active on that campaign will most likely increase their vote. Namely Bree, Gibbons, Cawley and to a lessor extent Henry

new face

Dont agree
There are generally 4 or more changes each local election
Dont know much about the borough council

It is hard to imagine any of the following getting reelected

Higgins Sligo strandhill
McGarry Sligo strandhill
Kilgannon N Sligo
Fleming Tubbercurry
Lundy Tubbercurry
Sherlock Dromore west
Barrett Dromore west

It would be a sad reflection on the electorate if any of the above were returned
Mind that same eloctorate put Devins back in the Dail and elected 2 TDs from the same street in only the 4th most populated area in Sligo

RetiredProvo

Sligoboy said:
As much as I dislike Mcgarry his seat in the locals is safe enough. He has a strong personal vote and the boundary changes don't affect him from what I can gather. His performance in the GE cant be used as an example to show him in trouble locally. If any thing his vote from his own ward held up reasonably well, there was no significant decrease and certainly not the meltdown that had been predicted. It must be remembered that Labour has been steadily losing votes for well over a decade in GE's in this constituency.
No chance of McGarry even running let alone getting the nod from labour this time round. His personal vote was based on free pints he served up in Harlo's and a few stokes he pulled for people in the area while a Cllr.
His GE vote will dissapear like last winters snow in his own area with the scandal that surrounds him. Even the local Pub football team felt a little embarrassed when he presented them with sponsered jerseys for a tournament in the last few months.
If SF play their cards right they could get a second candidate in by the skin of their teeth here but McManus won't allow that. Too late anyway, not enough time to give a S'hill candidate, who is waiting to be asked enough time to build a profile. Quota last time was just 1,065 STV's, very achievable in the current economic climate and demographic change in Sligo / S'hill.

new face

If the cancer campaign group decide to put canditates forward, where will they be.
I presume it will be FF seats they are after.
North Sligo
J Devins
Kilgannon

West Sligo
J Queenan

Sligo/ Shill
Higgins

Tubbercurry
Lundy
Colleary

Ballymote
Baker
Sherlock

Higgins, Sherlock, Lundy,and Kilgannon could be easy targets

essexboy

new face said:
If the cancer campaign group decide to put canditates forward, where will they be.
North Sligo
J Devins
Kilgannon

West Sligo
J Queenan

Sligo/ Shill
Higgins

Tubbercurry
Lundy
Colleary

Ballymote
Baker
Sherlock

I agree that Kilgannon is in danger; he scraped in the last time and has a serious charisma deficit. But surely P. Barry is also in danger - he is a poor canvasser and the composition of the area has changed.

Gerrry

Website
www.sligowhiplash.com
essexboy said:
new face said:
North Sligo
J Devins
Kilgannon

West Sligo
J Queenan

Sligo/ Shill
Higgins

Tubbercurry
Lundy
Colleary

Ballymote
Baker
Sherlock

I agree that Kilgannon is in danger; he scraped in the last time and has a serious charisma deficit. But surely P. Barry is also in danger - he is a poor canvasser and the composition of the area has changed.
Patsy Barry will not retain his seat.

He wont be running again

Queenan will be safe enough. The increase from three seater to four seater and lack of SF candidate will secure it for him.

Baker could well be in trouble as his vote will drop. Many of his own workers will never vote for him again

essexboy

Gerrry said:
essexboy said:
new face said:
North Sligo
J Devins
Kilgannon

West Sligo
J Queenan

Sligo/ Shill
Higgins

Tubbercurry
Lundy
Colleary

Ballymote
Baker
Sherlock

Patsy Barry will not retain his seat.

He wont be running again

Queenan will be safe enough. The increase from three seater to four seater and lack of SF candidate will secure it for him.

Baker could well be in trouble as his vote will drop. Many of his own workers will never vote for him again
A P. Barry worker told me that he intends to stand again, rumours notwithstanding.

new face

SF will have a canditate in D West, Hallinan who polled well last time.
He is based in the Easkey area.
Now that the rumour mill is operational again about McGarry ( wanting to join the PDs) surely he is in danger.

NEW LABOUR

Starting to shape up for the locals.
End of this month October should see all selection conventions.

In the field so far are.

Healy SF Ballymote
Love LAB DWest
Conmy FG DWest
Barrett FG Dwest
Mulvey FG DWest

Mulvey is an interesting one. He and his family canvassed for FF all their lives and would have been regarded as staunch FF.
His sister married J Perry and their political beliefs changed overnight.

A bit like McGarry and Labour, whatever way the wind is blowing.
Barrett and Conmy have done nothing in 4 years only support vested interests.

Mr.Ograff

Well we haven't held our conventions yet but I can say who's up for nomination.
Tubber:
Aidan Colleary -Guareented nomination
Jerry Lundy - Guareented nomination
Joe Shannon - Should get the nod from the convention to go. Personally my favourite.
Kieran O'Dowd - I think he may lack experience and not too well known within party

Ballymote:
Martin Baker, 2 more candidates but not allowed say.
Dromore: Joe Queenan, John Clarke two other candidates bt nt allowed say.

All other sitting FF councillers seeking nominations also with one or two newbies.
I heard that Gerry Murray doesn't want to run for FG but party is making him. Tried to get well known people in Gurteen area but couldn't.
Can I get yer predictions for the two areas closest to me.

Tubbercurry:
Gormley: IND
Lundy: FF
Colleary: FF
Fleming: FG
Shannon/O'Dowd:FF
?????: FG

Ballymote
Mc Grath: FG
Baker: FF
?????:SF Is it healy/gilmartin I 4get
Mullaney: FG
Walsh: FG (supposidly running again)
??????:FF (wish I could tell you)
Mulcahy: LAB

I think Gormley, Colleary, Lundy and possibly another FF if FG cant get strong enough candidate in gurteen area

In Ballymote, Mullaney and Baker guareenteed, another FF seat and possibly Mc Grath although he done absolutely nothing in his term and could loose his seat to our 3rd man.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies