Sligo County Council Elections 2014

RetiredProvo

The revised Sligo LEA will be tested for the first time on Friday May 23rd.
It sees the county divided into two areas, Sligo and Ballymote/Tubbercurry.

The Sligo area appears the most interesting with now 23 candidates contending 10 seats;

From dissilusioned FF men standing as Independents and dissilusioned FF men standing for FF to an apparent breath of fresh air in the form of young hopefuls like Fis Nua's Higgans, and IND Casserly, it has all the makings of a bit of craic on count day.

FF tried to pull a few strokes in getting some new and not so new faces on their ticket and had to roll back and allow Mr Kilgannon back on the team. More fool him.

FG have put one token new face and a female at that on their team but it will be the same mob who'll take the seats.

SF still don't appear to have learned any lessons and are putting one old face and one not so old face on their team.
One of them will get elected and it'll probably be the BMW driver.

Some other noteable candidates; Bree, the auld campaigner, sure to get in and keep the new County Manager on his toes.
O'Boyle PBP, finally took the plunge and was persueded by RBB and Brian O'B to run as the latter hadn't the balls to.
Cawley, still has the neck to stand and will probably still get elected.
Butler and Gardnier, don't know much about them but they will take some votes from some other candidates.
Cadden, as mentioned above a dissilusioned FF man who is probably better off without them.
And finally, Kebba Cham, who I think is Nigerian will also be standing. He should do well out in Maugherrow where they were always very friendly to foreign visitors right back to the Spanish Armada:D

I haven't mentioned any LP candidates as come next Friday there probably won't be a LP organisation in Sligo.

As for the B'mote/Tubber area, it looks to be heading for the same old same old with 14 candidates contending 8 seats.
Just a matter of rearranging the deckchairs on the gravy train out there if you'll pardon my mixed metaphors.

So there you have it, slag, insult, castigate, berate, commit lible (not recommended ) on P.ie until you heart's content but at least use your vote on Friday May 23rd.

RetiredProvo

iam all for equality
are ye still supporting that fraud pamala itsascam in sligo ?
Thankfully, the vast majority of Sligonians saw Pamela for what she was, a fraud.

Only the likes of a current councillor who is running again for the gravy train, Veronica Cawley and gave Pamela a civic reception supported her.

Still, what do you expect from someone who claimed the highest expenses on the council of €88,771 for 2012/2013.
Pamela cost the tax payer a whole lot more but at least we got rid of her. Hopefully next Friday will do the same for Ms Cawley.

Last edited:

Skeptik

Good turnout in my ward, how was everyone else's experience?

Veronica Cawley could be in trouble word is.
One of the mcgarry's is out and Kilgannon seems to be gone.

Gave Marina Butler a pref, heard good things about her?

elliebee

Good turnout in my ward, how was everyone else's experience?

Veronica Cawley could be in trouble word is.
One of the mcgarry's is out and Kilgannon seems to be gone.

Gave Marina Butler a pref, heard good things about her?
The ballot box was absolutely bursting at the seams in my booth. First time ever there were others there at the same time as me.

Martina Butler was one of mine too.

saab900

Still, what do you expect from someone who claimed the highest expenses on the council of €88,771 for 2012/2013.
Pamela cost the tax payer a whole lot more but at least we got rid of her. Hopefully next Friday will do the same for Ms Cawley.
My abiding recollection of Cawley is her attendance at a conference between Councillors from Northern Ireland and the Border Counties to explore synergies or some such nonsense.

You'd imagine it would have been held in the Slieve Russell or the Killyhevlin in Enniskillen, or somewhere convenient like that.

No chance.

The conference was held in Gibraltar.

Didn't bother Cawley one iota.

elliebee

My abiding recollection of Cawley is her attendance at a conference between Councillors from Northern Ireland and the Border Counties to explore synergies or some such nonsense.

You'd imagine it would have been held in the Slieve Russell or the Killyhevlin in Enniskillen, or somewhere convenient like that.

No chance.

The conference was held in Gibraltar.

Didn't bother Cawley one iota.
In fairness she's not the worst of them. There's a couple of lads who've been there a long time and are masters in the art of maintaining a culture of dependency. Obviously with a view to re-election. I cannot wait to see how they fared.

saab900

In fairness she's not the worst of them. There's a couple of lads who've been there a long time and are masters in the art of maintaining a culture of dependency. Obviously with a view to re-election. I cannot wait to see how they fared.
Can't agree with you there.

I'm old enough to remember her spat with Bree over the halting sites. She certainly wasn't wrapping herself in the Red Flag then.

I wouldn't be on the same page as Bree on many things, but he stuck to his guns through thick and then, which is presumably why he couldn't stay in Labour.

elliebee

Can't agree with you there.

I'm old enough to remember her spat with Bree over the halting sites. She certainly wasn't wrapping herself in the Red Flag then.

I wouldn't be on the same page as Bree on many things, but he stuck to his guns through thick and then, which is presumably why he couldn't stay in Labour.
I don't remember that at all. I understand Bree is very supportive of the travellers in the town

Skeptik

Just after realising I voted the wrong FG candidate :oops:

Meant to put down Cawley (as for why, well he's relatively young and didnt claim much expenses. Also comes across as intelligent enough. Few of the locals reckon he'l find it difficult to get in. No mention if they voted for him though. As per usual with us mannerly, suspicious Irish :D)

I only choose 6. In hindsight I suppose it wouldn't have hurt to put O Boyle down on the prefs and above FG man I inadvertantly made the mistake of numbering. I'd like to see him in but wasn't sure what he was like, I knew his politics but I didnt know much about him, so elected not to bother putting him down, which may have been a bad thing of me to do.

Imagine him, Bree, McManus and Clarke on the council haha! No one would want to be the county manager

mountainy man

I'm in the Ballymote/tubber area and the available candidates were pathetic, very disappointed that there was no candidate that i could bring myself to vote for even the independents were either not independent or were pro life. I deliberately spoilt my vote for the CoCo, better choice in the euros thankfully.

saab900

I don't remember that at all. I understand Bree is very supportive of the travellers in the town
The Council was required to put in place a plan for Travellers accommodation (halting sites).

They picked a few sites, one of which was in Cawley's ward, which she wasn't too pleased about, and threatened to oppose the plan.

Herself and Bree were Labour councillors at the time, and Bree went on record in the Council saying it was a "disgrace" that a Labour councillor would threaten such a thing.

There was much unpleasantness.

Skeptik

I'm in the Ballymote/tubber area and the available candidates were pathetic, very disappointed that there was no candidate that i could bring myself to vote for even the independents were either not independent or were pro life. I deliberately spoilt my vote for the CoCo, better choice in the euros thankfully.
All of your FG councillors with the exception of Dara Mulvey claimed over 65k in expenses. For.......... what exactly? Have to echo your concerns but still ya may as well have put down some IND's even just in the hope ya might mix things up?

Gormley seems to be the best of them down your side.

RetiredProvo

It's all over now only for the counting tomorrow at the Clarion.
Counting won't begin until after lunch as they have to seperate the Local from the European papers, which have to go to Castlebar. And as most of the counters are effecient but current PS workers in the main, they won't be working at break neck speed.

Reports I've heard so far are that 2 boxes in Scoil Ursula topped out at over 60%. St Edwards, high 50's at around 9pm with an hour left.
Same reports from cranmore boxes stating a good solid turnout.
Strandhill, all 3 boxes came in over the 50% mark with a combined final total of near 53%.

An observation made about the pink local ballot paper was its length and people were loath to go right down the list.
This should help Bree but disadvantage O'Boyle and O'Grady who were at the bottom.

Too early to say who's out yet locally but I did hear that in the Europeans, Ming was taking votes all over the place from young and old alike who voted for him as the only one they recognised. Says alot about the current MEP's on the Ballot paper.

elliebee

Just after realising I voted the wrong FG candidate :oops:

Meant to put down Cawley (as for why, well he's relatively young and didnt claim much expenses. Also comes across as intelligent enough. Few of the locals reckon he'l find it difficult to get in. No mention if they voted for him though. As per usual with us mannerly, suspicious Irish :D)

I only choose 6. In hindsight I suppose it wouldn't have hurt to put O Boyle down on the prefs and above FG man I inadvertantly made the mistake of numbering. I'd like to see him in but wasn't sure what he was like, I knew his politics but I didnt know much about him, so elected not to bother putting him down, which may have been a bad thing of me to do.

Imagine him, Bree, McManus and Clarke on the council haha! No one would want to be the county manager
I presume the Cawley guy you're speaking of was the Mayor last year so he'd be fairly well known and I'd have thought could be expected to do reasonably well.

He's already been on the Council with Bree, McManus but not Clarke.

mountainy man

All of your FG councillors with the exception of Dara Mulvey claimed over 65k in expenses. For.......... what exactly? Have to echo your concerns but still ya may as well have put down some IND's even just in the hope ya might mix things up?

Gormley seems to be the best of them down your side.
Of the 3 Ind, 1 ex FF and an ex con, 1 FG reject and a pro life loon (Gormley), there was no one else. Mullaney FG who would be local to me had the third highest expenses at 75k, It is a disgusting racket. I would have voted SF but the candidate sounds well dodgy and it seemed that the party didn't want him either.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom