• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Sligo setback for anti-abortionists

Thady Quill

The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland has censured OceanFM, the North West’s local radio station, over a broadcast of the programme Sunday Spirit on 8th July 2012, finding that the station breached the rules on Fairness, Objectivity & Impartiality.

What is it all about? Back on 8 July, the morning broadcast consisted of a “discussion” on abortion between a woman from Youth Offence and the presenter.
The programme theoretically discussed whether abortion law in Ireland needed to be changed but both interviewee, and interviewer were as one in rejecting the idea. No effort was made to put forward any contrary arguments. Alas, not all Western residents are disciples of Dana and a complaint was made to the BAI. OceanFM's initial response was that religious programmes were not bound by the rules on Fairness!

The BAI were not convinced referring to the presenter as clearly lacking in fairness, objectivity and impartiality.

A statement regarding the complaint decision will be aired on Sunday, 11th November at the beginning of the programme Sunday Spirit.

Hewson

The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland has censured OceanFM, the North West’s local radio station, over a broadcast of the programme Sunday Spirit on 8th July 2012, finding that the station breached the rules on Fairness, Objectivity & Impartiality.

What is it all about? Back on 8 July, the morning broadcast consisted of a “discussion” on abortion between a woman from Youth Offence and the presenter.
The programme theoretically discussed whether abortion law in Ireland needed to be changed but both interviewee, and interviewer were as one in rejecting the idea. No effort was made to put forward any contrary arguments. Alas, not all Western residents are disciples of Dana and a complaint was made to the BAI. OceanFM's initial response was that religious programmes were not bound by the rules on Fairness!

The BAI were not convinced referring to the presenter as clearly lacking in fairness, objectivity and impartiality.

A statement regarding the complaint decision will be aired on Sunday, 11th November at the beginning of the programme Sunday Spirit.
Wow! Mega victory for the pro-abortion lobby.

Hewson

Abortion is killing.
But as you know from other abortion threads there's 'killing' and there's 'killing.'

Working out the difference is complicated and entirely subjective.

And then we have the 'children's rights' issue to be getting on with . . .

Thady Quill

Wow! Mega victory for the pro-abortion lobby.
> A victory for those who believe in playing by the rules and obeying the law, an alien concept for you lot.
> No more free rides on radio for the Creeping Jesus brigade, even in the West.
> Hopefully, the departure of a presenter who once said of Albert Camus, "I believe he had French connections!"
> Black mark for OceanFM's attempt to retain the local radio franchise

Clanrickard

> A victory for those who believe in playing by the rules and obeying the law, an alien concept for you lot.
> Hopefully, the departure of a presenter who once said of Albert Camus, "I believe he had French connections!"
So why did Ray D'arcy get away with a a whole hour of promoting abortion on his show 2 months back? Double standards.

shoneen

So why did Ray D'arcy get away with a a whole hour of promoting abortion on his show 2 months back? Double standards.
Ray was "on message" - so that doesn't count. It's only when journalists diverge from the pro-choice group-think that there's a problem.

WTTR

Website
www.johnfhiggins.eu
Good man! I see your now carrying the baton

The “creeping Jessuses” utterances of a certain powerful politician at a national convention in Killarney spring to mind. How can one take the National Media seriously when you contrast their behaviour in that case and compare it with their full-blown national coverage of the gaffes they think the Cardinal has committed? Are our national media so naïve that they do not know when the truth is uttered? Only few people have the gift of coming across well at public functions or on TV. The Cardinal, a wise man, a Thinker is for the good of society. He should be listened to and what he says should be openly analysed, talked about and people should not be so self-centred as to feel aggrieved. His ‘Reverse Angle counterparts’ among the Islamic World are treated with the height of reverence. The Islamic people are by and large from a poor society and they therefore recognise where real power comes from! Our national media going for the neck of the seemingly defenceless old cleric is pure naked human nature and aggression! Knowledge and propriety are out the window! Why not treat the powerful man in the same way? They are all big boys! Editorial, Mayo Association Yearbook 2002

Hewson

Even by your own low standards that flow of drivel is poor.

Come on. Up the standard a bit.

Mercurial

But as you know from other abortion threads there's 'killing' and there's 'killing.'

Working out the difference is complicated and entirely subjective.
Not if the difference is based upon non-arbitrary principles.

Hewson

Not if the difference is based upon non-arbitrary principles.
Sorry, Merc, this thread deserves to die.

No engagement from me.

Thady Quill

vladimir

Some of those local stations are poorly informed,and have no standards,it is upto each interviewer to do as (s)he likes.

Thady Quill

Some of those local stations are poorly informed,and have no standards,it is upto each interviewer to do as (s)he likes.
Exactly. This would never have blown up if the local management were not so incompetent and dismissive.

punchdrunk

No to the Culture of Death. No to abortion (the killing of the innocent unborn child)

Eoin Coir

In my experience local radio stations just play to the lowest common denominator. They would never have changed attitudes here in Ireland the way RTE under gaybo and others did. All broadcast mass and the Angelus mostly, death notices, and ceili and country 'n western music. Personally I think they are a joke.
I must add that I am against abortion except in very severe limited cases like rape, incest, abnormalities etc.

punchdrunk

In my experience local radio stations just play to the lowest common denominator. ..
I agree. You find in some of them that quite a lot of pot stirring is used as a means to whip up a responses from listeners. Much of it is tabloid nonsense. Newstalk has gone down the same route sadly.
Unfortunately if you are looking for an in depth analysis of national topics on local stations you will generally be disappointed.

ruserious

Can someone give me a brief reply as to why it is the woman's right to choose?
It takes two to conceive. Why should men not have a say?
If the answer is because a woman carries the child for 9 months, then is it simply a matter of selfishness.