Sligo Travellers want to rename halting site The Gaza Strip.

Wascurito

A group of Sligo Travellers wants to rename their halting site (currently known as Alma Terrace) as The Gaza Strip, in an act of solidarity with the Palestinian enclave.

One resident told the local radio station, Ocean FM, that the treatment of Palestinians by Israel is similar to how Travellers are marginalized in this country.

As it happens, conditions in this country are Travellers are more than comparable to those for Gazans. Gazans live over 10 years longer than Irish Travellers. Perhaps Hamas might rename a street "Irish Traveller Street" as an act of solidarity.

Spirit Of Newgrange

the Gaza Strip ?

in respect of all the ghost estates should it be ?

The Copper Strip ?

if it was close to Rathkeale, we could call it the 'Ferrari/Lamborghini Strip' ?

if its close to any playgrounds could we call it the 'keep your kids away from here, if you know whats good for you' strip ?

Last edited:

NativeWildCat

Embarrassing. I expect better from the travelers.

storybud1

The Dole for life Strip ?

The Vat and income tax black hole Strip ?

The Lets use the moronic D4 radical left media for attention Strip ?

The Freeway ? (my favourite)

The contribute nothing to society but take everything society offers and then some strip?

The Couldn't Make it up Strip ? sponsored by Intreo and all the Social welfare outfits paid for by the tax paying Irish people that actually work and pay taxes to keep the lights on and are getting fed up with free loading spongers ?

If I left anything out please send on the facts about tax paid and benefits received to Idon'tgiveafook.com ,,

Dearghoul

The Dole for life Strip ?

The Vat and income tax black hole Strip ?

The Lets use the moronic D4 radical left media for attention Strip ?

The Freeway ? (my favourite)

The contribute nothing to society but take everything society offers and then some strip?

The Couldn't Make it up Strip ? sponsored by Intreo and all the Social welfare outfits paid for by the tax paying Irish people that actually work and pay taxes to keep the lights on and are getting fed up with free loading spongers ?

If I left anything out please send on the facts about tax paid and benefits received to Idon'tgiveafook.com ,,
You seem quite cross.

the secretary

Perhaps they would be content to move to the Gaza Strip!

middleground

A group of Sligo Travellers wants to rename their halting site (currently known as Alma Terrace) as The Gaza Strip, in an act of solidarity with the Palestinian enclave.

One resident told the local radio station, Ocean FM, that the treatment of Palestinians by Israel is similar to how Travellers are marginalized in this country.

As it happens, conditions in this country are Travellers are more than comparable to those for Gazans. Gazans live over 10 years longer than Irish Travellers. Perhaps Hamas might rename a street "Irish Traveller Street" as an act of solidarity.
Great to see some solidarity from Irish people. The West of Ireland's awake while the conventional West is told what to think.

Roll_On

I wasn't aware that the Israeli government built houses and gave them to Palestinians for nothing while handing them generous welfare, assigning them protected minority status and refused to prosecute them for any crime at all.

Hitchcock

I wasn't aware that the Israeli government built houses and gave them to Palestinians for nothing while handing them generous welfare, assigning them protected minority status and refused to prosecute them for any crime at all.
A chance to have lash at travellers, it must be Roll-On :roll:

eoghanacht

The wing nut rage warms the cockles of my heart.

Roll_On

On a broader note I do feel sorry for the Irish traveler community. The birth of the Irish welfare state destroyed their way of life, they were a humble people making a modest living from recycling and farm work.

Now that they have ample free cash, free housing, and license to get away with crime they've lost their culture, their work ethic and any/all barriers to expanding their population.

Wascurito

Great to see some solidarity from Irish people. The West of Ireland's awake while the conventional West is told what to think.
They're not so quick to show solidarity with an Irish ethnic minority going by the comments here.

Wascurito

Why would they do that for non-citizens? I don't know what this "refuse to prosecute" thing is about.

On a whole range of measures (lifespan, literacy, unemployment), Irish Travellers are in worse conditions than Gazans.

Roll_On

Why would they do that for non-citizens? I don't know what this "refuse to prosecute" thing is about.
How can you take someone's country by force and make the natives 'non-citizens'?

On a whole range of measures (lifespan, literacy, unemployment), Irish Travellers are in worse conditions than Gazans.
That is their choice, education is free in Ireland and the state actively encourages them into education through several quangos.

Erudite Caveman

You seem to have missed the point. They are suggesting that their halting site is is no different from the Gaza Strip.

Windowshopper

Fair play to them.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies