Slopping out appeal to be heard by Supreme Court

silverharp

I hope they win, its petty and vindictive and sexist that basic sanitation wasnt sorted out

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/supreme-court/slopping-out-in-prisons-appeal-to-be-heard-by-supreme-court-1.3552377

The Supreme Court has agreed to hear an appeal by a former prisoner with potential implications for up to 1,000 cases concerning slopping out in prisons.

The appeal will address important legal issues as to what criteria apply for determining whether or not treatment of a prisoner is inhuman and degrading.

The court will also consider whether damages need always be awarded for breach of constitutional rights, an issue with widespread implications.

In a published determination, a three-judge Supreme Court, comprising the Chief Justice, Mr Justice Frank Clarke, Mr Justice John MacMenamin and Ms Justice Iseult O’Malley, said Gary Simpson’s case raised issues of general public importance entitling him to a “leapfrog” appeal direct to the Supreme Court, bypassing the normal route of the Court of Appeal.

The State is not disputing the finding that slopping out, on the facts of Mr Simpson’s case, breached his constitutional right to privacy/dignity.

It wants the Supreme Court to address whether damages must be paid for breach of constitutional rights or whether declarations may be more appropriate in some cases.

Mr Simpson wants the court to overturn the finding of no breach of his right to freedom from inhumane and degrading treatment along with the refusals to award him damages for breach of dignity/privacy or costs.

Herr Rommel

They should all have to slop out the krunts in Irish prisons have a damn easy ride and it's the crime version of 3rd level education.

Analyzer

Prisoners are of a bigger concern than their victims in this country.

Hitchcock

Prisoners are of a bigger concern than their victims in this country.

The 'Analyzer' whose posts are always devoid of 'analysis' :lol: Could you enlighten us on this issue, how have you arrived at this conclusion?

Aindriu

Of course it is inhuman and degrading. It was stopped in the UK over 20 years ago!
The deprivation of liberty is the punishment part of a prison sentence - nothing more.

Herr Rommel

Of course it is inhuman and degrading. It was stopped in the UK over 20 years ago!
The deprivation of liberty is the punishment part of a prison sentence - nothing more.
Prison is a holiday camp for the criminal scum in this country and they should be treated like scum.

Bread and water and four to a cell with one pi55 and sj1tę bucket between the lot of them in a cell should be the bare minimum and maybe a half hour in an open pen to walk around.

Dame_Enda

Even for someone tough on crime I still find this practice humiliating and degrading.

Pizza Man

Even for someone tough on crime I still find this practice humiliating and degrading.
So how much compo do you reckon should be awarded to each rapist, mugger, murderer and miscellaneous scumbag affected by this humiliating practice.

Round your answer to the nearest €10,000 and don't forget to factor in a decent cut for the lawyers involved.

Herr Rommel

If you do the crime do the time.

My attitude would be F em they are prison scum nothing more.

Aindriu

If you do the crime do the time.

My attitude would be F em they are prison scum nothing more.
So you don't believe in rehabilitation of offenders then? Just treat them like scum so they leave prison even more bitter towards society than when they were sentenced? Moronic in the extreme.

Herr Rommel

So you don't believe in rehabilitation of offenders then? Just treat them like scum so they leave prison even more bitter towards society than when they were sentenced? Moronic in the extreme.
The Irish prison system is 3rd level education for this scum and prison should be a deterrent and not a reward as these krunts have free Sky, free gyms, easy access to education and after all that they come out tougher scumbags with a better understanding of how to play the system.

Aindriu

The Irish prison system is 3rd level education for this scum and prison should be a deterrent and not a reward as these krunts have free Sky, free gyms, easy access to education and after all that they come out tougher scumbags with a better understanding of how to play the system.
Bitter much?

Herr Rommel

Bitter much?
That's the best you can do?

I'm a law abiding tax paying citizen of this country and have never once been in any sort of trouble so I'm more than entitled to call out the scumbags and the easy life they have.

Aindriu

That's the best you can do?

I'm a law abiding tax paying citizen of this country and have never once been in any sort of trouble so I'm more than entitled to call out the scumbags and the easy life they have.
Everyone has a right to an opinion, however you clearly misunderstand the purpose of a prison sentence. Would you want TV licence non-payers treated the same was as murderers or rapists in prison? How about men sentenced for breaching family court orders? Still a civil offence. A prison sentence is to protect the population from someone and/or to deprive an offender of their liberty. If you really think they have it easy in prison, talk to an ex prisoner or a serving prison officer.

A friend of mine is a psychologist in the prison service. She regularly has men who are suicidal for being away from their families. In many cases they have committed just one offence that incurred a prison term. Not necessarily a criminal offence either. Look again at my comment re TV licence non-payers.

Herr Rommel

Everyone has a right to an opinion, however you clearly misunderstand the purpose of a prison sentence. Would you want TV licence non-payers treated the same was as murderers or rapists in prison? How about men sentenced for breaching family court orders? Still a civil offence. A prison sentence is to protect the population from someone and/or to deprive an offender of their liberty. If you really think they have it easy in prison, talk to an ex prisoner or a serving prison officer.

A friend of mine is a psychologist in the prison service. She regularly has men who are suicidal for being away from their families. In many cases they have committed just one offence that incurred a prison term. Not necessarily a criminal offence either. Look again at my comment re TV licence non-payers.
Is anyone actually locked up for not paying the RTE wage bill?

Simple solution is to don't break the law, it's very easy for lads in prison to say they are depressed and ready to top themselves but I would be more worried about the victims of their crimes.

Aindriu

Is anyone actually locked up for not paying the RTE wage bill?

Simple solution is to don't break the law, it's very easy for lads in prison to say they are depressed and ready to top themselves but I would be more worried about the victims of their crimes.
Yes they are. More often than you realise, clearly. A non-licence payer has a victim???

fat finger

Fixing this problem should definitely be considered a priority. Then it should be added to the bottom of the list of national priorities, last count over 100,000 pressing issues

Dedogs

dont want to ************************e in a bucket with another lad watchin you???? dont do crime!!!!!! its next to near imposible to get the jail in this country so if theres a bit of hardship in it ************************ them id be thinkin more about the like of old people thats houses are like prisons after some ************************ robbed them and left them terrified!!!!!

Half Nelson

We stopped doing it... and then we started again.

silverharp

dont want to ************************e in a bucket with another lad watchin you???? dont do crime!!!!!! its next to near imposible to get the jail in this country so if theres a bit of hardship in it ************************ them id be thinkin more about the like of old people thats houses are like prisons after some ************************ robbed them and left them terrified!!!!!
do they have to slop out in the women's prison? #equityforall

New Threads

Most Replies