Snow - retail business Dublin

hammer

This is a disaster for retail business.

Surely the commercial rates that business pay could/would ensure that at the very least consumers could walk around our major city :(

There is no way any OAP will chance the city streets.

There is no chance that people will drive into city centre.

Operation freeflow isn`t required until snow clears :(

Grit the paths immediately or the expected Xmas bonus & subsequent Vat take will not materialise.

If retail has a bad Xmas - disaster for employment.

johnfás

Why can't they drive a snowplough up Grafton Street? Its absolutely treacherous down there.

cozzy121

In Russia they have a saying - "In Winter, It Snows".

We need to get used to the fact that our mild winters are a thing of the past & we need to adapt to these conditions.
1 thing would to make it compulsory for homeowners & shopkeepers to keep the path in front of their houses/premises clear of snow/ice.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Why can't they drive a snowplough up Grafton Street? Its absolutely treacherous down there.
If retailers are suffering that much, surely to hell they could get out to a hardware shop and buy a couple of shovels for in front of their shops.

The way Irish people moan about snow is a bit of a laugh.

hammer

Most shop owners do directly outside the shop. The problem is access and around bus stops etc...........

Some are also to thick though :)

collina

This is a disaster for retail business.

Surely the commercial rates that business pay could/would ensure that at the very least consumers could walk around our major city :(

Grit the paths immediately or the expected Xmas bonus & subsequent Vat take will not materialise.

If retail has a bad Xmas - disaster for employment.
Sweet Jesus, how big is the average shop-front?

SideysGhost

This country is ridiculous. A couple of inches of snow and the whole place grinds to a halt in panicked chaos. Why oh why does nothing work properly here, and why oh why do we seem so incapable of basic simple organisation, planning and logic?

gayguy2000

people will spend their money eventually, just not while the weather is this bad. I see those horrible tacky stands were being set up on Henry st today. I'd gladly see them go out of business.

RightCentreLeft

I am unemployed at the moment. If I was asked to volunteer and shovel snow and ice I would have absolutely no problem with that. I was up in dundrum village yesterday (the main street) and it was extremely dangerous. But it could have easily been sorted in a few hours with 10 people.

That said I have been doing my bit by helping people get their cars out of the snow/ice. But thats all I can do unless the govt organises volunteers.

Cassandra Syndrome

The country would be far more productive and happier if they drove one through Leinster House. ;)

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
If retailers are suffering that much, surely to hell they could get out to a hardware shop and buy a couple of shovels for in front of their shops.

The way Irish people moan about snow is a bit of a laugh.

Apparently no one bar the local authorities is supposed to grit the roads/streets etc.

And to another post, yes having 400k people doing nothing and a huge amount of snow to be clearly doesn't require a Einstien level of organisation.

We get welfare, the umployed should register for an emergency response team that would help citizens with things like severe weather (snow or flooding).

Cassandra Syndrome

This country is ridiculous. A couple of inches of snow and the whole place grinds to a halt in panicked chaos. Why oh why does nothing work properly here, and why oh why do we seem so incapable of basic simple organisation, planning and logic?
+1

I think as well in the absense of a savings induced economic system, people simply cannot afford to take timeout from trade out of fear of missing debt obligations. The debt threadmill is constant and will not stop to accomodate weather.

In the olden days slowdowns were welcomed by firms as they could tap into their savings and readjust the organisation in preparation for the pickup. Taking 30 minutes to stop chopping to sharpen the axe as it were.

Today high monthly debt obligations restrict both people and firms that luxury to take a breather and think logically and outside the box.

budgeybudge

I am in Holland at the moment and my Dutch colleagues are having a great laugh at Ireland's complete grinding to a halt over a bit of snow. It is fairly ridiculous though.

Holy Cow

Dublin is a joke. I walked from Pearse Street to Baggot Street the last few days and the footpaths are lethal. Yes, in the business area of the city.

And guess what paths are being cleared many times a day? Yes, the ones outside the Dail.

A friend from the suburbs called me last night and told me a few foreign lads were going door to door and charging a fiver or tenner to clear paths and driveways, and they are going well. Fair play to them.

With over 150,000 former construction workers on the dole its a no brainer for what should be done.

Holy Cow

The country would be far more productive and happier if they drove one through Leinster House. ;)
Seeing as somebody got charged with criminal damage for parking a truck there, its maybe not the best idea.

Cassandra Syndrome

Apparently no one bar the local authorities is supposed to grid the roads/streets etc.

And to another post, yes having 400k people doing nothing and a huge amount of snow to be clearly doesn't require a Einstien level of organisation.

We get welfare, the umployed should register for an emergency response team that would help citizens with things like severe weather (snow or flooding).
Generally I would be against forcing unemployed people to work for nothing in real wealth creation where they are subsidising other people's work and would more than likely be doing something that they would not be happy, but that is a good idea, that they could get involved in emergency community work.

1. It is not subsidising another wage in real wealth creation as it is emergency relief work for the good of the community and not the result of enterprise.

2. It would be satisfying for their self esteem that they are helping the local community, gets them out of the house and would do wonders for their motivation and cognitive processes. Real disaster, Blitzed community, roll up the sleeves type spirit can ironically help depression and melancholia.

But no doubt the government would prefer to have them inside feeling sorry for themselves hooked on antidepressants and sleeping pills, deeply apathetic and not in any way thinking for themselves and being fit and feisty.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies