So Article 50 to be invoked next week in UK. Will it happen, what will happen?

asset test

I know there are many threads on this topic.

But this is a monumental thing, because leaving the EU has never happened before now. So we have very little to go on regarding how things will go.

I have no links, articles or such like to quote, just my feeling that it may not go as well as expected. But then again it might work out brilliantly for UK.

It appears that for us here in ROI and the North it is looking a bit problematic to say the least of it.

What do you knowledgeable people think?

gleeful

It will likely be done late on Tuesday so to avoid the Ides of March. Then the gloves are off and I expect a steady stream of bad economic news for the UK as the EU issues press releases to tighten the screw.

O

Oscurito

The EU will issue a response within 48 hours.

They'll be well prepared with lots of experience of trade negotiations and international law.

ger12

We'll be too busy being distracted by a referendum to focus on it right now.;)

JCR

Not much. The national front in England might get some encouragement from it and beat up more people than at present I suppose.

Inbreeding "upper" class people might delude themselves a little more maybe.

ainm_eile

Irish firms start looking for alternative suppliers for imports.

Every other country nearby only gets 5-6 percent of its imports from the UK, compared to 32% for us. I expect that continental influence here would grow as that disparity is corrected post-Brexit. A reduction from 32% to 10% means a loss of around £10 billion in goods exports for the UK, around 0.5% of their GDP, not adjusting for the recent Sterling depreciation.

The 32% suggests that there is a lot of low hanging fruit, so the diversification will happen fairly quickly, such as people visiting Amazon.de instead of Amazon.co.uk. The process will cause the UK's current account deficit to grow in the course of A50 negotiations, which could cause some panic there.

The blog eureferendum.com is well worth reading BTW.

asset test

@blokesbloke.

I think you are correct. There is no time limit on invoking Article 50.

Why the rush so? Once invoked it is irreversible. Big decision IMV. But caution has obviously not been advised or wanted. Go for it so.

Baffles me why there seems to be a need to do this so quickly. Clear the air and get down to it or something like that maybe?

Mad as Fish

Every other country nearby only gets 5-6 percent of its imports from the UK, compared to 32% for us. I expect that continental influence here would grow as that disparity is corrected post-Brexit. A reduction from 32% to 10% means a loss of around £10 billion in goods exports for the UK, around 0.5% of their GDP, not adjusting for the recent Sterling depreciation.

The 32% suggests that there is a lot of low hanging fruit, so the diversification will happen fairly quickly, such as people visiting Amazon.de instead of Amazon.co.uk. The process will cause the UK's current account deficit to grow in the course of A50 negotiations, which could cause some panic there.

The blog eureferendum.com is well worth reading BTW.
One reason why we apparently buy so much from the UK is that because many global companies lump the UK and Ireland together in their regional sales areas and centre their distribution outlets for both countries in the UK. I have come across this several times and purchasing companies get quite annoyed when buying global brands (such as a well known make of tyres) and are told that they have to place the order with the London office rather than the Paris one.

Prof Honeydew

I know there are many threads on this topic.

But this is a monumental thing, because leaving the EU has never happened before now. So we have very little to go on regarding how things will go.

I have no links, articles or such like to quote, just my feeling that it may not go as well as expected. But then again it might work out brilliantly for UK.

It appears that for us here in ROI and the North it is looking a bit problematic to say the least of it.

What do you knowledgeable people think?
[video=youtube;ICE6l-5qTYE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICE6l-5qTYE[/video]

And that'll be only the start of it.

amsterdemmetje

Tbh I cant wait for them to be gone im truly sick of it at this stage .
Let them off ta fup and be gone ,we will survive im sure.

amsterdemmetje

Well , we wont die of the hunger anyway .
No shortage of spuds nowadays shure people are even having spuds with their lasagne. petunia

My now Dutch wife (girlfriend at the time)was at a Carvery in hotel many moons ago here and was horrified when asked did she want spuds with her Lasagna. :shock:

derryman

No shortage of spuds nowadays shure people are even having spuds with their lasagne. petunia

My now Dutch wife (girlfriend at the time)was at a Carvery in hotel many moons ago here and was horrified when asked did she want spuds with her Lasagna. :shock:
To be honest, I would be horrified too.

Angler

I wonder do people eat rice and chips together covered in curry sauce anywhere else .

amsterdemmetje

To be honest, I would be horrified too.
My father will eat almost anything that's not spicy but it has to have spuds with it .My mother could be seen in many a restaurant dinner table down the years putting roast spuds left behind into her hand bag saying "yer father will love them when we get home".petunia

New Threads

Most Replies