So Call Our New Prostitution Law?

Leandrai

I wonder as this insane law has been proven to be so successful at that which it was supposed to achieve, will the lovely and no doubt completely impartial review of it, see fines and prison sentences increased and may be unfortunate punters put on the sex offenders register!
The new Pady Gilyead, the previous one being where The Magdellan Concentration Camps we're all the rage!
It is time to get serious and REALLY stand up to it now. It has all gone way too far.

Emily Davison

I can’t believe they jailed two immigrant women. If that wasn’t bad enough, one of them is pregnant. It’s like we’ve gone back to the Magdelen Laundries. And then we see the state funding Ruhama. Which is the current incarnation of the same nuns. Unbelievable.

Last edited:

Leandrai

I can’t believe they jailed two immigrant women. If that wasn’t bad enough, one of them is pregnant. It’s lije we’ve gone back to the Magdekdn Laundries. And then we see the state funding Ruhama. Which is the current incarnation of the same nuns. Unbelievable.
...as the days pass what is becoming worse is that, unlike the gloating that occurred after a harmless elderly man was fined €200 (until even Ruhama recognised that they were embarassing themselves) there is no objection to this travesty in the media at all - while a very young woman sits stunned and pregnant in prison the reality of this human rights abuse is being firmly erased.

In case anyone is wondering, the house they were renting was a corner bungalow,with the river across the road in front, a retail business over the road at the side, a business several yards at the rear and a boarded up house semi detached...the only way they could have been annoying anyone is if they parked out front and waited to be annoyed. When raided there were no men i n the premise and no unusual sums of money.

Last edited:

Leandrai

This is why i came back to my own past in 2012, because i knew where it would lead in practical terms, and so did a lot of other people who moved heaven and earth to hide the benefits of decriminalisation in 1983 (when it actually happened, people had the year wrong) and the staggering harm that recriminalising the streets alone brought back.

It's not about "indoors v outdoors" - whatever you criminalise will be worse for those who work there, whatever you fully dewcriminalise will be better for those who work there there is no third possibility.

Full decriminalisation makes life many times easier for sex workers and much harder to abuse them.
Full decriminalisation gives you leverage to demand sex workers respect the rights and needs of anyone in the larger society impacted by their work where any form of criminalisation gives them nothing to lose by refusing to respect the rights of others.
The Nordic Model is just covert criminalisation with all the negative impact of full criminalisation and without as much public sympathy for the victims.

Abolitionism is one, long, dishonest human rights abuse.

Dame_Enda

NY lawmakers have unveiled a law to decriminalise sex work in the State. Article says though that the bill will likely "face a battle" in the state legislature despite being controlled by the Democrats.

Interestingly a national poll in the US found 56% support decriminalisation to 17% opposed.

Emily Davison

Leandrai what is that about the elderly man being fined 200?

General Urko

Decriminalization can only work if all consenting sex workers and clients engaging with each other in private are fully decriminalized!
Brianern, Denise, Sarah and other TORLERS take note!

General Urko

Many scenarios as to how this completely insane law would negatively impact on sex workers were flagged well in advance and rather famously Fitzie was made well aware of these!
However, a pregnant sex workers given a 9 month prison sentence is a whole new dimension again.
A Law designed to cause harm and it's certainly doing that!
When the UN Human Rights Commission chats, as it does, to Flanagan about this, I wonder will he be shyting himself?

Fitzie Fitzie, once again, I have to call upon you to resign from public office and renounce your many pensions!
Go In The Name Of God, Go!

Dame_Enda

Its just horrendous to lock up a pregnant woman (who hasn't hurt anyone) for 9 months.

I remain convinced that this bill was a sop to the social conservative wing of FG as a trade off for abortion and same sex marriage rights. A stitch up between the liberal and conservative wings of the party (and I say that as someone who supports abortion rights, ssm and decriminalisation).

Leandrai

Its just horrendous to lock up a pregnant woman (who hasn't hurt anyone) for 9 months.

I remain convinced that this bill was a sop to the social conservative wing of FG as a trade off for abortion and same sex marriage rights. A stitch up between the liberal and conservative wings of the party (and I say that as someone who supports abortion rights, ssm and decriminalisation).
I think you need to see this too...nobody has a clue how toxic Ruhama really is...they do what they like and just assume they will get away with it...I don't think they even stop to question whether it is right, or wrong or what will happen to their victim:

Dame_Enda

It took them 18 months to get even one conviction of a client.
I think you need to see this too...nobody has a clue how toxic Ruhama really is...they do what they like and just assume they will get away with it...I don't think they even stop to question whether it is right, or wrong or what will happen to their victim:
There's no doubt Ruhama is supported by powerful FG bureaucrats tied to the Religious Orders. Its troubling that the DPC office did not consider leaking an email to violate the EU GDPR directive.

Fortunately, social conservatism is on the decline in FG and as younger people move up the ranks, hopefully it will finally be consigned to the dustbin of Irish political history.

Leandrai

It took them 18 months to get even one conviction of a client.

There's no doubt Ruhama is supported by powerful FG bureaucrats tied to the Religious Orders. Its troubling that the DPC office did not consider leaking an email to violate the EU GDPR directive.

Fortunately, social conservatism is on the decline in FG and as younger people move up the ranks, hopefully it will finally be consigned to the dustbin of Irish political history.
That's how blatant they are "I'll give her some old waffle and scare her off and that'll be grand" - next question:
WHAT ELSE HAVE THEY GOT AWAY WITH??? What DON'T I know about? Who did they do it to?

Dame_Enda

While I don't always agree with the Greens, I must salute them, I think the SDs and some Inds (John Halligan TD, Catherine Connolly TD and Mick Wallace MEP) for opposing this unworkable law.

General Urko

While I don't always agree with the Greens, I must salute them, I think the SDs and some Inds (John Halligan TD, Catherine Connolly TD and Mick Wallace MEP) for opposing this unworkable law.
Claire Daly was absolutely against this insanity also!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies