So Call Our New Prostitution Law?

Emily Davison

Leandrai what is that about the elderly man being fined 200?

General Urko

Decriminalization can only work if all consenting sex workers and clients engaging with each other in private are fully decriminalized!
Brianern, Denise, Sarah and other TORLERS take note!

General Urko

Many scenarios as to how this completely insane law would negatively impact on sex workers were flagged well in advance and rather famously Fitzie was made well aware of these!
However, a pregnant sex workers given a 9 month prison sentence is a whole new dimension again.
A Law designed to cause harm and it's certainly doing that!
When the UN Human Rights Commission chats, as it does, to Flanagan about this, I wonder will he be shyting himself?

Fitzie Fitzie, once again, I have to call upon you to resign from public office and renounce your many pensions!
Go In The Name Of God, Go!

Dame_Enda

Its just horrendous to lock up a pregnant woman (who hasn't hurt anyone) for 9 months.

I remain convinced that this bill was a sop to the social conservative wing of FG as a trade off for abortion and same sex marriage rights. A stitch up between the liberal and conservative wings of the party (and I say that as someone who supports abortion rights, ssm and decriminalisation).

Leandrai

Its just horrendous to lock up a pregnant woman (who hasn't hurt anyone) for 9 months.

I remain convinced that this bill was a sop to the social conservative wing of FG as a trade off for abortion and same sex marriage rights. A stitch up between the liberal and conservative wings of the party (and I say that as someone who supports abortion rights, ssm and decriminalisation).
I think you need to see this too...nobody has a clue how toxic Ruhama really is...they do what they like and just assume they will get away with it...I don't think they even stop to question whether it is right, or wrong or what will happen to their victim:

Dame_Enda

It took them 18 months to get even one conviction of a client.
I think you need to see this too...nobody has a clue how toxic Ruhama really is...they do what they like and just assume they will get away with it...I don't think they even stop to question whether it is right, or wrong or what will happen to their victim:
There's no doubt Ruhama is supported by powerful FG bureaucrats tied to the Religious Orders. Its troubling that the DPC office did not consider leaking an email to violate the EU GDPR directive.

Fortunately, social conservatism is on the decline in FG and as younger people move up the ranks, hopefully it will finally be consigned to the dustbin of Irish political history.

Leandrai

It took them 18 months to get even one conviction of a client.

There's no doubt Ruhama is supported by powerful FG bureaucrats tied to the Religious Orders. Its troubling that the DPC office did not consider leaking an email to violate the EU GDPR directive.

Fortunately, social conservatism is on the decline in FG and as younger people move up the ranks, hopefully it will finally be consigned to the dustbin of Irish political history.
That's how blatant they are "I'll give her some old waffle and scare her off and that'll be grand" - next question:
WHAT ELSE HAVE THEY GOT AWAY WITH??? What DON'T I know about? Who did they do it to?

Dame_Enda

While I don't always agree with the Greens, I must salute them, I think the SDs and some Inds (John Halligan TD, Catherine Connolly TD and Mick Wallace MEP) for opposing this unworkable law.

General Urko

While I don't always agree with the Greens, I must salute them, I think the SDs and some Inds (John Halligan TD, Catherine Connolly TD and Mick Wallace MEP) for opposing this unworkable law.
Claire Daly was absolutely against this insanity also!

Leandrai

It isn't down to who supported it....most TDs hadn't got a clue what they were supporting and most people hadn't got a clue what was on the table.

TORL claimed the Nordic Model was decriminalisation as opposed to German style legalisation, then discouraged people from asking questions. Sex workers were determinedly and deliberately silenced and none more so than me - for the one simple reason that I was coming to the table meeting all their criteria for "survivor" on record as having hated sex work and come out to talk about many of the things the abolitionists went on to capitalise - er - apparently before the abolitionists did:
Then rounding it off by having the cheek to assert, as an eye witness, the dramatic improvements incidental full decriminalisation in 1983 made to everything that messed up the invalid premise on which their propaganda was built:
Women sell sex because they have to, not because they want to
Ans:
The number one reason why we have to fully decriminalise to make it as safe and easy as possible.
Selling sex causes PTSD
Ans:
But not to the same extent as the circumstances that leave people with no survival option except selling sex - that's why we have to fully decriminalise to make it as safe and easy as possible, and minimise the stress and distress that compounds PTSD
Most women would stop selling sex if they could
True, in my experience, but what's the relevance of using the Nordic Model to make sex work even harder and more dangerous and channel funding into an abusive organisation with nothing to offer and that no sex worker in their right minds would go near?
Men have no right to sex
I could have told you that, same as I have been telling men since the 70s - not sure of the relevance though?
Anna was 14
So were we all once, and your point is?

So, taking all ideology and morality off the table, and focusing only on practical facts, TORL threw a massive amount of weight at shutting up a vulnerable old woman in increasingly poor health *TO HIDE THE BENEFITS OF FULL DECRIMINALISATION TO SEX WORKERS* - deliberately promoting another model *THAT THEY KNEW WAS UNHELPFUL AND MORE HARMFUL*.

Other people who took the "body autonomy" and "happy hooker" positions they were anticipating were left in relative peace, after being consigned to the "pimp lobby". I feel that, particularly now, I have literally been targeted for eradication. Funny that, when the 3 year review is about to come up.

So they went on telling people they were "helping and supporting" (exact words of the TORL motion passed by NWCI last week) sex workers and fighting for decriminalisation and not leaving ordinary people with any access to the practical reasons to doubt that.

To end on a humourous note, Ruhama chimed in last night:

General Urko

Sinn Fein were fully behind this shite both North and South please remember.
Yes, they were!
The only thing themselves and The DUP agree on - quelle surprise!

Dame_Enda

Labour TD Jan O'Sullivan arguing that two sex workers living together indoors should be protected after the upcoming review of the law.

I recall that Labour supporting the current absurd and unworkable law when it was going through.

General Urko

Labour TD Jan O'Sullivan arguing that two sex workers living together indoors should be protected after the upcoming review of the law.

I recall that Labour supporting the current absurd and unworkable law when it was going through.
AFAIK it was the intelligentsia in Labour Youth that originally proposed client criminalization!
I would feel that it's a safe bet that the review will up the fines on punters, possibly even names being put on The Sex Offenders Register!
Of course the pigz will have a massive witchunt to gap a load of ladz before the review! As to them PR is so important!
All consenting adults engaging in transactional sex in private should be left alone!

General Urko

BTW my understanding is that in the motherland of this complete and utter insanity - feminist Utopia - Sweden- 2 or more sex workers working from the same place are also considered as brothel keeping and its illegal!

Dame_Enda

The Greens and Social Democrats to be fair opposed this law and voted against it in the Dail. Theres a reasonable chance the Greens will be part of the next government. Eoghan Murphy was critical of the Swedish model before it went through. So perhaps as the older, more conservative Blueshirts and Fianna Failures leave the political stage the prospect of liberalisation increases.

General Urko

The Greens and Social Democrats to be fair opposed this law and voted against it in the Dail. Theres a reasonable chance the Greens will be part of the next government.
Government members said publicly the law was unworkable/wrong and it still got through!
That's HotPress interviews for ya!

Dame_Enda

As I said before. It was a sop to the social conservative wing of FG as a price for their acceptance of repealing the 8th amendment and accepting same sex marriage.

General Urko

As I said before. It was a sop to the social conservative wing of FG as a price for their acceptance of repealing the 8th amendment and accepting same sex marriage.
TBH I doubt that as in theory quite a few sweaty arse minimum wage paying pillars of the community, exactly the sort of fooking rubbish that always vote Blueshirts could be pulled under this insane law!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom