So far there has been 21 suicides in West Belfast this year.

st333ve

So far there have been 21 suicides in West Belfast this year.

The reality of living in an economically deprived area...

Liam McGuinness, who boxed at gold medallist Paddy Gallagher's Gleann club - and at Immaculata on the Falls Road - took his own life on Monday.

The young athlete, who had represented both Ulster and Ireland in the ring, had spent the previous day at a party held in honour of Northern Ireland's Commonwealth boxers - including Gallagher, fellow gold medallist Paddy Barnes and silver medallist Thomas McCarthy.

It is understood to be the 10th death through suicide in the Colin area of west Belfast in just a few months and the third within days.

Three young men have taken their own lives in the area in just over a week.

One of the organisers, Nuala Ni Scoilain said suicide is a "permanent solution to a temporary problem".

Three young men have taken their own lives in the area in just over a week.

UTV News - Boxer's suicide shocks west Belfast
BBC News - Suicide vigil in west Belfast aims to raise awareness

Anyone who seen the cheers from the Tories in Westminster after announcing 4 billion worth of cuts here , should be horrified at their disrespect towards the common men and women of northern Ireland.

Last edited:

White Rose

Living in an economically deprived area does not necessarily lead to suicide

It's more complicated than that. The Troubles actually gave a lot of these guys something to live for as they were defending their culture (or thought they were) and community. Now the troubles are over I wonder is life in all its boring reality too much for some

st333ve

Not necessarily causes suicide yes, but certainly is a factor here.
To suggest these kids are killing themselves because they don't have 'the Troubles' is quite ignorant, especially as a lot of them are too young to even remember let alone be involved.

st333ve

Sad fact of life.

Economic deprivation leads to increased suicide rates.

You don't need a political agenda to see that cheering about huge job losses is very disrespectful.

The two stories were on BBC NI the same day, that's why they were mentioned together as I read them together.
I was merely showing a contrast between those effected and those imposing hardship.

Last edited:

Northern Voice

Pretty cheap political point about the Tories. This is a very sad issue which I hope we find some means of resolving. Suicide should never be an option for anybody.

st333ve

Pretty cheap political point about the Tories. This is a very sad issue which I hope we find some means of resolving. Suicide should never be an option for anybody.
Boo Hoo, poor old Tories eh?

They deserve a good kick, they are the enemy of the working class people.

Northern Ireland's suicide epidemic claims young lovers as two more of its victims - This Britain, UK - The Independent

"The two deaths are the latest in a string of young suicides in Belfast, many of them in the poorer north and west of the city."

Commenting on the current economic situation and suicide's in deprived areas is not unusual.

Personally I was disgusted at the pleasure they shown with their snobby upper class attack on working class people in Westminster.
I then read an article about suicides in a deprived area and commented on the articles.

Instead of allowing us the chance to grow our economy and create jobs, these Tories are contributing to this economic deprivation.

I am not using suicides to have a dig at the Tories, I am claiming that the deprivation that causes many suicides is set to expand because of what the Tories were cheering about yesterday.

The link between a failing economy and suicide is not something I invented.

Last edited:

Purplestar

No steeeev what you did was take an unfortunate event like a suicide and twist it around so you could go on a Brit bashing exercise.
Its embarassing to see our own politicians standing with the begging bowl telling anyone who would listen that we should be exempt from the huge cuts as we are a special case. We are no more special than people from Liverpool, Glasgow Cardiff and everyoneelse who lives in the UK and big decisions has to be made when the country is in a financial mess created by 'not so new 'labour who has a history of borrowing the UK into a mess.

st333ve

So economic deprivation, the government and suicides in economically deprived areas should never be mentioned together?

Tell that to the campaigners who will be taking this problem to the Tories, are they "Brit bashing" too?

Do you not believe this government has a responsibility to prevent such things?

I have no problem with the cuts per se , it's their refusal to allow us the economic tools for growth and jobs for the working class people.

Here's a BBC article from the last Tory era.

"MORE SUICIDES UNDER CONSERVATIVE RULE"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2263690.stm

"Australian scientists found the suicide rate in the country increased significantly when a Conservative government was in power.

And an analysis of figures in the UK seems to suggest a similar trend. "

Face up to the political reality of suicide, the British can so why can't I?

Purplestar

So economic deprivation, the government and suicides in economically deprived areas should never be mentioned together?

Tell that to the campaigners who will be taking this problem to the Tories, are they "Brit bashing" too?

Do you not believe this government has a responsibility to prevent such things?

I have no problem with the cuts per se , it's their refusal to allow us economic growth and jobs for the working class people.

Here's an article from the last Tory era.

"MORE SUICIDES UNDER TORY RULE"
BBC NEWS | Health | More suicides under Conservative

Face up to the political reality of suicide, the British can so why can't I?

The tories I have no doubt have more of an idea what has to be done to turn the economy around than some random from Lurgan.

st333ve

"The Tories I have no doubt have more of an idea what has to be done to turn the economy around than some random from Lurgan"

I'm sure they do, Thatcher did too she made everyone's life great!!
The Tory plans supposedly centre around turning the economy around in Britain not here - in Lurgan or anywhere in the north.

Ulster Unionist will be more than happy with this scenario as they are more interested in looking after English interests than their own peoples.

Purplestar

"The Tories I have no doubt have more of an idea what has to be done to turn the economy around than some random from Lurgan"

I'm sure they do, Thatcher did too she made everyone's life great!!
The Tory plans supposedly centre around turning the economy around in Britain not here - in Lurgan or anywhere in the north.

Ulster Unionist will be more than happy with this scenario as they are more interested in looking after English interests than their own peoples.
So is the deprived areas in England getting more help under this tory government than the deprived areas here or are you just tory bashing again by saying they look after england more than here

st333ve

England decides its own economic policies, we don't decide ours even though this place is in a different situation sharing an island with the Republic and has a vastly different population density.

Tax cut 'could create 90,000 jobs'
Tax cut 'could create 90,000 jobs' - National News, Breaking News - Enniscourthyguardian.ie

Instead, we lose 50,000.

The Tories had an option here, the first would create revenue and jobs.
The second destroys all.

-140,000 + jobs.

I know that the ROI have one of the highest rates of suicide amongst young people in the EU. I googled the site but could only get last years figures which were around 400, but anything from ten to thirty percent more could be attributed to suicide or injuries to suicidal attempts.

How do you get the figure of 21 so far this year and in so small an area so quickly steeve? It is certainly something we could benefit from here. I know from my town here in Castlebar that hardly a month goes by without hearing of a suicide, nearly all young men.

Apropos the poster's remark on the Troubles having the effect of decreasing suicides it is in fact quite true apparently. Also during the 2nd World War suicides in Britain plummeted also, Strange huh? I can't comment on the Tories being to blame because we have our own shower of tories here in power as you know, crucifying the workers, but I think suicide if far more complex than lack of money or job. It certainly does not help, but there must be something more to it, otherwise we would all be throwing ourselves under buses, apart from the well-heeled.

st333ve

I said it contributed not that it was the only cause, it obviously does contribute.

I never once said that only people under economic stress commit suicide, that would be ridiculous and contrary to what I have experienced from those I know who committed suicide.

The BBC article made a link between the economy and suicide, using experts.
It's a totally understandable observation.

The government has a responsibility to tackle this problem, it is also common to comment on the government and suicide rates in deprived areas.

Apropos the poster's remark on the Troubles having the effect of decreasing suicides it is in fact quite true apparently.
Because of the community bond it brought to communities, however he claimed it increased again because they "had nothing to do" implying that West Belfast people enjoyed the Troubles bloodshed.

Last edited:

Purplestar

England decides its own economic policies, we don't decide ours even though this place is in a different situation sharing an island with the Republic and has a vastly different population density.

Tax cut 'could create 90,000 jobs'
Tax cut 'could create 90,000 jobs' - National News, Breaking News - Enniscourthyguardian.ie

Instead, we lose 50,000.

The Tories had an option here, the first would create revenue and jobs.
The second destroys all.

-140,000 + jobs.

So what your saying is you cant back up your claim that deprived areas here are not treated the same as other areas of the same econonic hardship in England. A no I cant back up that claim would have been enough.

Hillmanhunter1

st333ve
I'm always cautions and curious about statistics.
Can you please cite your source that supports the assertion that there have been 21 suicides in West Belfast this year?

New Threads

Most Replies