So, here's somewhere to post all that good news

Disillusioned democrat

Over the years I've developed a reputation on p.ie for being a whiner, which I find odd considering how positive most people think I am in real-life.

It's come from being somewhat relentless at pointing out real issues with our leaders policies, actions and behaviours and I make no apologies for this.

However, as an interesting diversion, maybe a thread to post all the "good news" - all the positive political outcomes, success stories, etc. might help me get a more balanced perspective of our political environment.

So......

Hillmanhunter1

Joe Canning won an All Ireland medal.

Even a curmudgeonly Cork man like myself would have to be happy about that.

Last edited:

SamsonS

Over the years I've developed a reputation on p.ie for being a whiner, which I find odd considering how positive most people think I am in real-life.

It's come from being somewhat relentless at pointing out real issues with our leaders policies, actions and behaviours and I make no apologies for this.

However, as an interesting diversion, maybe a thread to post all the "good news" - all the positive political outcomes, success stories, etc. might help me get a more balanced perspective of our political environment.

So......
Do we not have some threads on this on economic forum?

Spanner Island

Quiet innit?

Maybe tomorrow... cos I have faith in this thread gathering momentum over time... :cool:

SamsonS

Quiet innit?

Maybe tomorrow... :cool:
Well DD started the thread, so I thought he wanted to post some positive things. Seen as he hasn't, sure I will.

Health - courtesy of Wikipedia.
The average life expectancy in Ireland in 2012 is 81 years (OECD average life expectancy in 2012 was 80 years), with 78.2 years for men and 83.6 years for women.[125]
It has the highest birth rate in the EU (16.8 births per 1,000 inhabitants, compared to an EU average of 10.7)[126] and a very low infant mortality rate (3.5 per 1,000 live births).
The Irish healthcare system ranked 13th out of 34 European countries in 2012 according to the European Health Consumer Index produced by Health Consumer Powerhouse.[127]
The same report ranked The Irish healthcare system as having the 8th best health outcomes but only the 21st most accessible system in Europe.

On the world happiness report we come in 15th, up 4 places on our previous rating, out of 155 countries.

Education - Wikipedia
The Programme for International Student Assessment, coordinated by the OECD, currently ranks Ireland as having the fourth highest reading score, ninth highest science score and thirteenth highest mathematics score, among OECD countries, in its 2012 assessment.[131] In 2012, Irish students aged 15 years had the second highest levels of reading literacy in the EU.[132] Ireland also has 0.747 of the World's top 500 Universities per capita, which ranks the country in 8th place in the world.[133] Primary, secondary and higher (university/college) level education are all free in Ireland for all EU citizens.[134] There are charges to cover student services and examinations.
In addition, 37 percent of Ireland population has a university or college degree, which is among the highest percentages in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Peace_Index, ranks us 10th of 163.

........sure that will do for starters.

GDPR

Some people don't know how lucky they were to be born here, whingey bastards mostly.

On the plus & positive good news side, they usually don't live as long as the rest of us. :D

bokuden

bokuden

Another plus. Now is a great time to be a landowner.

greengoose2

Some people don't know how lucky they were to be born here, whingey bastards mostly.

On the plus & positive good news side, they usually don't live as long as the rest of us. :D
Would that be those unfortunates who sleep rough on the streets? Or the ones who are on the years long, hospital waiting lists? Perhaps the ones who live in desperation from the FF induced boom getting boomer years?

Telstar 62

Congratulations to William, Kate and all the British Royal Family on the
great news of a third child on the way.:D

blokesbloke

I found a pound coin on the pavement last week.

HarshBuzz

Those Troika people are no longer here.

Although I do miss them somewhat.

HarshBuzz

bokuden

Finian Mcgrath getting schooled due to his fearmongering about the HPV vaccine is a good thing.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
It could be worse. We might be Japanese and watching various politicians' wives trying to sell plots of land at exorbitant prices for schools around Fukushima.

Happycamping

The standard of living continues to rise. Not equally mind. But at least it's going in the right direction.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies