So, here's somewhere to post all that good news

HarshBuzz

redacted

Over the years I've developed a reputation on p.ie for being a whiner, which I find odd considering how positive most people think I am in real-life.

It's come from being somewhat relentless at pointing out real issues with our leaders policies, actions and behaviours
To be brutally honest it actually comes from you being a relentless whine.

So in that regard alone, the thread should be welcomed.

cobra

Twitter
dont do twittering nonsense
Well DD started the thread, so I thought he wanted to post some positive things. Seen as he hasn't, sure I will.

Health - courtesy of Wikipedia.
The average life expectancy in Ireland in 2012 is 81 years (OECD average life expectancy in 2012 was 80 years), with 78.2 years for men and 83.6 years for women.[125]
It has the highest birth rate in the EU (16.8 births per 1,000 inhabitants, compared to an EU average of 10.7)[126] and a very low infant mortality rate (3.5 per 1,000 live births).
The Irish healthcare system ranked 13th out of 34 European countries in 2012 according to the European Health Consumer Index produced by Health Consumer Powerhouse.[127]
The same report ranked The Irish healthcare system as having the 8th best health outcomes but only the 21st most accessible system in Europe.

On the world happiness report we come in 15th, up 4 places on our previous rating, out of 155 countries.

Education - Wikipedia
The Programme for International Student Assessment, coordinated by the OECD, currently ranks Ireland as having the fourth highest reading score, ninth highest science score and thirteenth highest mathematics score, among OECD countries, in its 2012 assessment.[131] In 2012, Irish students aged 15 years had the second highest levels of reading literacy in the EU.[132] Ireland also has 0.747 of the World's top 500 Universities per capita, which ranks the country in 8th place in the world.[133] Primary, secondary and higher (university/college) level education are all free in Ireland for all EU citizens.[134] There are charges to cover student services and examinations.
In addition, 37 percent of Ireland population has a university or college degree, which is among the highest percentages in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Peace_Index, ranks us 10th of 163.

........sure that will do for starters.
I do have to take my hat of to you for optimism seeing as we are stuck in the most corrupt and increasingly left behind part of the"EU" experiment.
Anyone here remember having a vote other than to join the EEC? Yes EU no.
Many third world countries are more transparent . Should i mention the most "redacted" as a tiny example.??

Btw I am referring to the real "redacted" Know what is meant.

Can't beat the dash, works everywhere even outside Nigeria

Last edited:

SamsonS

I do have to take my hat of to you for optimism seeing as we are stuck in the most corrupt and increasingly left behind part of the"EU" experiment.
Anyone here remember having a vote other than to join the EEC? Yes EU no.
Many third world countries are more transparent . Should i mention the most "redacted" as a tiny example.??

Btw I am referring to the real "redacted" Know what is meant.

Can't beat the dash, works everywhere even outside Nigeria
I am optimistic. Was I optimistic in 2008 - no way, back then I thought we'd be facing a very bleak future, unable to stem the flow of young people out of the country, unemployment rising, a national debt out of control , basically a basket case.

Now, our worries are different, the argument now is about why the gov should be doing more/spending more in the crisis areas of housing, health and homelessness. That's a very different place to be.

Anyway, on transparency, we come in about 19th.
https://www.transparency.org/news/feature/corruption_perceptions_index_2016

Now, where are you getting "most corrupt and increasingly left behind part of the"EU" experiment." and "Many third world countries are more transparent" ?

ShoutingIsLeadership

Well DD started the thread, so I thought he wanted to post some positive things. Seen as he hasn't, sure I will.

Health - courtesy of Wikipedia.
The average life expectancy in Ireland in 2012 is 81 years (OECD average life expectancy in 2012 was 80 years), with 78.2 years for men and 83.6 years for women.[125]
It has the highest birth rate in the EU (16.8 births per 1,000 inhabitants, compared to an EU average of 10.7)[126] and a very low infant mortality rate (3.5 per 1,000 live births).
The Irish healthcare system ranked 13th out of 34 European countries in 2012 according to the European Health Consumer Index produced by Health Consumer Powerhouse.[127]
The same report ranked The Irish healthcare system as having the 8th best health outcomes but only the 21st most accessible system in Europe.

On the world happiness report we come in 15th, up 4 places on our previous rating, out of 155 countries.

Education - Wikipedia
The Programme for International Student Assessment, coordinated by the OECD, currently ranks Ireland as having the fourth highest reading score, ninth highest science score and thirteenth highest mathematics score, among OECD countries, in its 2012 assessment.[131] In 2012, Irish students aged 15 years had the second highest levels of reading literacy in the EU.[132] Ireland also has 0.747 of the World's top 500 Universities per capita, which ranks the country in 8th place in the world.[133] Primary, secondary and higher (university/college) level education are all free in Ireland for all EU citizens.[134] There are charges to cover student services and examinations.
In addition, 37 percent of Ireland population has a university or college degree, which is among the highest percentages in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Peace_Index, ranks us 10th of 163.

........sure that will do for starters.
Ah, here...free education, my hole!

Third level registration fees are the second highest third level fees in Europe. Second level costs a fortune (books, etc. and the administration fee - apparently it costs 150 euros for photocopying, the school journal, and insurance).

That's not to p1ss on your post...this is a cracking country facing challenges - some of them very urgent. Most of us are blessed to be here

SamsonS

Ah, here...free education, my hole!

Third level registration fees are the second highest third level fees in Europe. Second level costs a fortune (books, etc. and the administration fee - apparently it costs 150 euros for photocopying, the school journal, and insurance).

That's not to p1ss on your post...this is a cracking country facing challenges - some of them very urgent. Most of us are blessed to be here
Just picked a few things from Wikipedia , trying to avoid the standard economic measurements which are more obvious positives,
but still wondering why DD started the thread if he hasn't bothered to post on it!

On education, yes take your point, but we are currently 20th for the number of graduates where 41% of 25-64 year olds have a degree. We jump to 7th for 25-34 year olds (51%), and 8th for 35-44 year olds (49%).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tertiary_education_attainment

hammer

A leopard doesn`t change his spots.

Disillusionedabouteverything loves the doom and gloom.

He doesn`t have many solutions though.

He seems to miss the progress made since 2011 when we were down and out.

hammer

Good news

GDP UP
GNP UP
Exports UP
Services Sector UP
Manufacturing UP
Live register DOWN from 15%+ to 6%
Employment UP
Wages UP
Tourism UP
Corp Tax receipts UP
Vat receipts UP
IT receipts UP
USC rates cut
Near balanced budget
Household Debt DOWN
Inflation LOW
Tracker rates for most
Mortgage arrears DOWN
Negative Equity DOWN
Business Confidence UP
Consumer Confidence UP
Retail Sales UP
Construction Sector FLYING

artfoley56

Joe Canning won an All Ireland medal.

Even a curmudgeonly Cork man like myself would have to be happy about that.
none of kilkenny, cork or tipp won the all Ireland this year. makes a bitter wexican like me very happy!

ShoutingIsLeadership

Just picked a few things from Wikipedia , trying to avoid the standard economic measurements which are more obvious positives,
but still wondering why DD started the thread if he hasn't bothered to post on it!

On education, yes take your point, but we are currently 20th for the number of graduates where 41% of 25-64 year olds have a degree. We jump to 7th for 25-34 year olds (51%), and 8th for 35-44 year olds (49%).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tertiary_education_attainment
I just fancied a bit of a whine :)

Disillusioned democrat

Initially I just wanted to see what other people saw that I didn't.

Put now I've seen this

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/0904/902210-murphy-housing-crisis/

*EPIC SUCCESS*

I loved the reaction on Twitter to Lower Veruccas ************************ology about where he was when Diana died.

It showed two important things - why Verucca is doomed as he is most likely the most out of touch Taoiseach ever and also that people can see straight through his PR bullsh1t.

Disillusioned democrat

I loved the reaction on Twitter to Lower Veruccas ************************ology about where he was when Diana died.

It showed two important things - why Verucca is doomed as he is most likely the most out of touch Taoiseach ever and also that people can see straight through his PR bullsh1t.
There's a drawback to communication technology - if you've really nothing to say all technology does is make that obvious to more people faster. I imagine FG's communication "think tank" will have already changed the password on @campaignforleo

West-Cork

This good news has nothing to do with actual poiticians, but at least ye all have somewhere safe and local to go to if NK kicks off.

Bunker down: Skibb ideal

As the article says, the people of Guam and North Korea would be very welcome, and I reckon we might also make an exception for the Dubs :) (Well some of them anyway!)

Last edited:

derryman

They don't, it just seems like that.

But listen, at least you know what colour you're painted and that has to be another good thing.
Indeed, if you were to give up all that is bad for you, like wine woman and tobacco, even if you don't live longer it will seem longer.

SamsonS

This good news has nothing to do with actual poiticians, but at least ye all have somewhere safe and local to go to if NK kicks off.

Bunker down: Skibb ideal

As the article says, the people of Guam and North Korea would be very welcome, and I reckon we might also make an exception for the Dubs :) (Well some of them anyway!)
.....aside, did the people of Skibb every forgive Tom Barry?

Socratus O' Pericles

A cup of coffee and a Kit Kat mini is acceptable at break time.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom