So, in a UI, is the capital Dublin or Belfast?

Blokesbloke

Genuiney don't think it should be either. I was going to suggest Cork too.

Or you could do as the Dutch do and have the capital still as Dublin but the seat of government elsewhere. Amsterdam is the Dutch capital but the government is in the Hague.

michael-mcivor

Dublin will be the capital- the dail in Dublin - Stormont in Belfast and SInn Fein helping to rule the 2 in 1 Country-

raetsel

Dublin Is the only credible location which is reasonably close to equidistant to most of the other main population hubs on the island. That's a big plus.
Dublin has by far the biggest airport traffic which is of major importance for visiting officials from other states. (Just think, any diplomat from Washington or Brussels who need to visit Belfast and who want to get there by the quickest route has to do it via Dublin.)
On issues of practicality alone Dublin wins hands down.
On a related topic, I visited Bonn back when it was still the capital of West Germany. It was the most unimpressive city I've ever visited. A capital city should surely have a bit of gravitas, above all else. Dublin has that to some extent.
Cork and Belfast don't.

Watcher2

The location of course matters not a jot. We will still be governed by a gang of self obsessed and self centred fvckwits.

Reactions: edg

ShoutingIsLeadership

Dublin will be the capital- the dail in Dublin - Stormont in Belfast and SInn Fein helping to rule the 2 in 1 Country-
There will be no Dail, it will be renamed and reconstituted. The constitution will have to be updated and likely veto powers of sorts given to unionists for a period.

edg

There will be no Dail, it will be renamed and reconstituted. The constitution will have to be updated and likely veto powers of sorts given to unionists for a period.
I didn't think it will be that extreme. We may get rid of some references in our constitution regarding our aspersions for a United Ireland.

But giving a veto (what kind of veto?) to unionists? What would a unionist even be? Someone who wants Ireland separated again or someone who wants Ireland run by London again?

Those people would very quick become an interesting quirk of Irish history. They won't be given vetos on anything!

de valera's' giddy goat

Armagh city or Athlone being turned into a capital territory would be my bet

between the bridges

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom