So is Ireland 2017 closer to Berlin or Boston or somewhere else?

General Urko

Back in the Celtic Tiger days when she was minister for enterprise, Harney, made the comment that she felt while we were closer to Berlin than Boston, geographically, we are spiritually closer to Boston.
I thought it bwas inaccurate at the time, because in reality and in every way we are actually far closer to Birmingham! And sometimes, perhaps to Birmingham, Alabama.:rolleyes:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/boston-or-berlin-1.314552

Dan White: Harney was right -- we are closer to Boston than Berlin - Herald.ie

Mind you with her then party's outlook she would wish us to be as 'equal' a society as America is!:mad:

We also have some of the more despicable aspects of American Society - high priced healthcare and a large amount of low wage employment and lack of workers' rights and have undervalued our education system so badly that a primary degree in many areas is the equivalent of the old Inter Cert!

And certainly the appaling lack of tennants' rights and shyte pension entitlements are not European norms.
I think though our glorification of public sector workers is beyond any known pale though!

Mind you to view us on a continuum Boston to Berlin is still better than the Shytehole, I grew up in where the more appropriate paradigm would have been are we closer to a Taliban Ridden Kabul or a Mullah Ridden Teheran?

So my question for you, my dear fellow P.iesters is where do you see us today and may be after a few tomorrows?

razorblade

Considering the large Irish community in Boston and the similar culture, we also have more in common with Boston as well.

Fritzbox

More likely to be deported from Boston than Berlin, I'd say.

Seriously, are you suggesting we make a choice between the orange creature and Angela Merkel?

Roll_On

Neither.

Also saying that Ireland has 'low wages' repeatedly won't make it true. Wage costs in Ireland are among the world's highest and this is the cost that stands in the way of most SMEs.

We have a high cost of living because it is government policy to make housing expensive (probably to enrich a select few). through a combination of banning mid-high rise development and imposing unrealistic costs on the development of low rise apartments, e.g. multi-level underground car parks for carless communities etc. Also when you buy a new apartment, half the price tag is tax.

General Urko

Neither.

Also saying that Ireland has 'low wages' repeatedly won't make it true. Wage costs in Ireland are among the world's highest and this is the cost that stands in the way of most SMEs.

We have a high cost of living because it is government policy to make housing expensive (probably to enrich a select few). through a combination of banning mid-high rise development and imposing unrealistic costs on the development of low rise apartments, e.g. multi-level underground car parks for carless communities etc. Also when you buy a new apartment, half the price tag is tax.
Wages are all about real wages i.e. relative to the cost of living and an awful lot of SMEs in particular in The BMW reion are highly exploitative and abusive employers, unfortunately, multinationals are now racing in this direction also!

Mad as Fish

It is rapidly heading towards Berlin, East Berlin from 1946 onwards that is.

mr_anderson

Culturally we're far closer to Boston.
But we are being governed by Berlin.

Roll_On

Wages are all about real wages i.e. relative to the cost of living
exactly, higher wages are not the solution to our woes, reducing costs is. A change of policy in favor of low cost housing is the solution. Our wages already are among the highest in the world, which damages our competitiveness.

and an awful lot of SMEs in particular in The BMW reion are highly exploitative and abusive employers, unfortunately, multinationals are now racing in this direction also!
Is this true? employees living in the BMW region earning circa €10 an hour (or whatever the min is) on a full time basis wouldn't be doing too badly. Like when you look at min wage workers in the rest of the developed world

General Urko

What about Birmingham, Uk? Mind you Brexit will substantially change that and for the worse!:mad:

General Urko

exactly, higher wages are not the solution to our woes, reducing costs is. A change of policy in favor of low cost housing is the solution. Our wages already are among the highest in the world, which damages our competitiveness.

Is this true? employees living in the BMW region earning circa €10 an hour (or whatever the min is) on a full time basis wouldn't be doing too badly. Like when you look at min wage workers in the rest of the developed world
Living in Galway City on €10 per hour would be a complete nightmare but reality for many of us!

Roll_On

Culturally we're far closer to Boston.
But we are being governed by Berlin.
Do you really think so?
I would identify with the rest of Europe really. I don't see North American banality as being even vaguely related the cacophony of colour that is Irish culture?

General Urko

Do you really think so?
I would identify with the rest of Europe really. I don't see North American banality as being even vaguely related the cacophony of colour that is Irish culture?
The Kennedys and Tipp were quite colourful!

General Urko

Birmingham isn't even British, nevermind Irish.
Well folk in Birmingham watch Premiership football when they watch the beautiful game and Corrie etc. And it would have a huge population of Irish Descent!

Roll_On

Living in Galway City on €10 per hour would be a complete nightmare but reality for many of us!
Perhaps a unique example in the BMW region. But of course this is the min wage. Presumably nobody intends to stay long in min wage jobs, except perhaps migrants.

General Urko

Perhaps a unique example in the BMW region. But of course this is the min wage. Presumably nobody intends to stay long in min wage jobs, except perhaps migrants.
But being on min wage means it may be more difficult to get a real job than approaching it from the dole as at least on the dole, you can do some half decent courses!

Roll_On

Well folk in Birmingham watch Premiership football when they watch the beautiful game and Corrie etc. And it would have a huge population of Irish Descent!
Do Irish people watch soccer and corrie? perhaps in certain working class estates where the Brit tabloids have high circulation.
Being of 'Irish descent' doesn't mean much anymore, especially in the USA where self proclaimed 'Irish Americans' are looney right wing racist despots that would be horrified by modern Irish culture.

New Threads

Most Replies