So that was #GE2020...so what will the next government look like?

Do you think a second GE is the best way to resolve the government formation impasse?

• Yes

Votes: 22 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Don't know

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters

culmore

what's needed now is a video call each day between Leo, Mehole and Mary Lou , to agree policy till this crisis is over. No need for Dail sittings , talking bull till this is over.

Dame_Enda

The CC has thrown a spanner in the works. He has said that the Dail wont be able to pass legislation after this weekend unless a new Taoiseach is elected.

Baron von Biffo

His opinion differs from that of Bacik who said that the Seanad can meet without the Taoiseach's nominees and that all that's required is an amendment to the standing orders to allow for the passage of legislation.

It's worth noting that Bacik is a barrister.

We may well need to have this referred to the SC to avoid it becoming an impediment to necessary action to deal with the crisis.

Can I politely suggest you use twitter as it would help be aware of such stories on a realtime basis?
I find twitter absolutely incomprehensible.

Dame_Enda

Neasa Hourigan of the Greens is saying Greens are ruling out going into coalition other than a National unity government.

Barroso

His opinion differs from that of Bacik who said that the Seanad can meet without the Taoiseach's nominees and that all that's required is an amendment to the standing orders to allow for the passage of legislation.

It's worth noting that Bacik is a barrister.

We may well need to have this referred to the SC to avoid it becoming an impediment to necessary action to deal with the crisis.

I find twitter absolutely incomprehensible.
The difference being that Bacik has an opinion, Ó Fearghail has a position of power.

Disillusioned democrat

Neasa Hourigan of the Greens is saying Greens are ruling out going into coalition other than a National unity government.
Yeah - the Greens want everyone responsible for the outcome of Covid 19 so that they're not singled out as the enablers of FFG during the same time. I wonder are the Greens keen to face the electorate again?

It may scupper Micheal Martin's chances, so expect some bat shit crazy idea over next 48 hours...FFGLab?

Barroso

Bacik is a barister
From Wiki it say he worked for Dublin corporation, so on what ground does it make him a expert on the consitution.
He's been in the Oireachtas since 2002 - most people would think that a Seanadóir/TD with that amount of experience would have some knowledge of the law and its workings. If that weren't enough, as CC, he is intimately involved in understanding and applying the rules and regulations of the Dáil, and of the whole legislative process.
Also, as CC he has some of the best legal minds in the country available to him to help him interpret any stuff that he isn't sure of.

But if you go back to my post, I wrote
Bacik has an opinion, Ó Fearghail has a position of power
This point remains whether Bacik is a barrister or not.

Round tower

He's been in the Oireachtas since 2002 - most people would think that a Seanadóir/TD with that amount of experience would have some knowledge of the law and its workings. If that weren't enough, as CC, he is intimately involved in understanding and applying the rules and regulations of the Dáil, and of the whole legislative process.
Also, as CC he has some of the best legal minds in the country available to him to help him interpret any stuff that he isn't sure of.

But if you go back to my post, I wroteThis point remains whether Bacik is a barrister or not.
Would agree on a lot of things u saay it's a matter of opinion, so say the legislation that pases all stages on Thurs and Fri. needs according MOF needs to be extended past April 19th. No Taoiseach has being elected by then, so the new Seanad will probably need to sit on the 116 0r 17th of April. Even without the taoiseac nomineess and at least 30 members of the Seana approves the measure, the meaures are xtended. So if someone brings a SC case it's up to them, if the SC rules it's in the public interest it should not be a problem.

Barroso

Very hard to know what the court would say, given the circumstances.
Could they order Varadkar to have the President dissolve the Dáil, while accepting the need for the measures until a new Dáil can confirm them?

Disabled student

Very hard to know what the court would say, given the circumstances.
Could they order Varadkar to have the President dissolve the Dáil, while accepting the need for the measures until a new Dáil can confirm them?
Dail dissolved already hence caretaker govt

wombat

Don't blame me, I voted to abolish the piggies' trough. :LOL:

shiel

Don't blame me, I voted to abolish the piggies' trough. :LOL:
But Irish media and academia campaigned to keep a talking shop for their cronies.

Now 'reform' is proposing to turn the Seanad into another Dail.

If we had got rid of the Seanad not alone would we have saved money but we would have the same number of politicians per unit of population as similar countries in Europe.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies