• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

So the EU will still make Irish fishermen waste half a million tonnes of fish per year for dog food.

D

Dylan2010

So the "success" of the phasing out of discards was being trumpeted on the news this morning with Covney sounding quite bullish, I cant see why. How is diverting a quarter of a tonne of fish per family per year for dog food and fish meal a good thing? The fish is perfectly editable and if they were being given out free I'm sure even Irish people would develop a taste for fish.

just think about it for a bit, Irish fishermen have been forced to waste half a million tonnes a fish per year and they will still be wasted after this agreement if they are not for human consumption. should we start eating dog food?

BBC News - Fish discards ban 'may be diluted'
In a review of global discarding, the UN noted that the north-east Atlantic had the highest discard level in the world, estimated at 1.3 million tonnes - the majority attributed to the EU. The Commission estimates that 23% of all fish caught by EU vessels are discarded.

Discussions at the Fisheries Council may last into the night, although on a less contentious note, ministers are likely to re-commit to better technology to prevent unwanted fish being caught in the first place

dizillusioned

So the "success" of the phasing out of discards was being trumpeted on the news this morning with Covney sounding quite bullish, I cant see why. How is diverting half a tonne of fish per family per year for dog food and fish meal a good thing? The fish is perfectly editable and if they were being given out free I'm sure even Irish people would develop a taste for fish.

just think about it for a bit, Irish fishermen have been forced to waste half a million tonnes a fish per year and they will still be wasted after this agreement if they are not for human consumption. should we start eating dog food?
Never knew fish was editable.... still... this is such a waste, fish (which I cannot aide) should be given away to those who need it, Dog food and fishmeal? Still I suppose it takes away from the Horsemeat saga.

ManUnited

So the "success" of the phasing out of discards was being trumpeted on the news this morning with Covney sounding quite bullish, I cant see why. How is diverting a quarter of a tonne of fish per family per year for dog food and fish meal a good thing? The fish is perfectly editable and if they were being given out free I'm sure even Irish people would develop a taste for fish.

Huge percentage of discards are the size of your finger and assorted rubbish. I see on the news a fisherman throwing a box of cod overboard because he didn't have quota. In my years working on trawlers I have never seen that happen. In my opinion it is all too little too late anyway.

Hewson

This is one of those disgusting obscenities that shows the EU superstructure up for the dumb, bloated, overpaid, over-pensioned, inept and disjointed corcus that it is.

In a world groaning under the weight of malnutrition and need this practise has been going on for years.

It's utterly vile.

ManUnited

This is one of those disgusting obscenities that shows the EU superstructure up for the dumb, bloated, overpaid, over-pensioned, inept and disjointed corcus that it is.

In a world groaning under the weight of malnutrition and need this practise has been going on for years.

It's utterly vile.
Absolutely pathetic response Hewson. It is a worldwide practice that has been happening for as long as people have gone to sea to catch fish.

statsman

Why stop with the fish? What about the beef scraps and waste that goes into dogfood? Why not just abolish dogfood altogether?

The fact is that all meat/fish processing has waste in it, and if this waste can be turned into a commercially viable product that must be a good thing. Indeed, these by-products might just have the effect of keeping the prices of the human food a little more affordable by making the processing more economically sound.

Most of it is not anything you or I would consider eating, but it seems that you'd have us feed it to the poor regardless. Why not just ensure that they have enough of an income to be able to eat decent food?

D

Dylan2010

Why stop with the fish? What about the beef scraps and waste that goes into dogfood? Why not just abolish dogfood altogether?

The fact is that all meat/fish processing has waste in it, and if this waste can be turned into a commercially viable product that must be a good thing. Indeed, these by-products might just have the effect of keeping the prices of the human food a little more affordable by making the processing more economically sound.

Most of it is not anything you or I would consider eating, but it seems that you'd have us feed it to the poor regardless. Why not just ensure that they have enough of an income to be able to eat decent food?
I have no problem with waste fish which has no commercial value for humans being used for other purposes, but the problem is fish which can be being dumped. I didnt imagine the fisherman giving away fish to the public free down in Waterford or Wexford?

Didimus

The notion that fishermen who make their livelihood selling fish for people to eat could or should be encouraged to give fish away for free seems fanciful.
This scheme seems to make a bad situation less bad, and if it encourages new fishing methods that would cut down on wasteful catches all the better

ibis

I have no problem with waste fish which has no commercial value for humans being used for other purposes, but the problem is fish which can be being dumped. I didnt imagine the fisherman giving away fish to the public free down in Waterford or Wexford?
While that seems like an obvious no-brainer, if you're going to have quotas, then they can't just be "eh, try not to exceed this limit, but, heck, if you do...". And we do need to have quotas one way or another, because otherwise the pressure of modern fishing will strip the seas of fish in even less time than it's currently on track to do.

Personally, I favour a personal tradeable quota, so if you've caught more than your quota, you have some chance to buy more quota and make some profit on the extra fish. I don't think it's technologically impossible to implement such a system.

D

Dylan2010

Absolutely pathetic response Hewson. It is a worldwide practice that has been happening for as long as people have gone to sea to catch fish.
you will need to explain then why one of the issues at the EU was ensuring the discarded fish wouldnt be sold commercially to the public and why some countries wanted the fish used for charitable purposes? This implies we are talking about fish that have a value to the general public.

Lain2016

rl=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21584863]BBC News - Fish discards ban 'may be diluted'[/url]
Pet food is big business...maybe coveney has a directorship with pedigree chum or winalot :confused:

ibis

you will need to explain then why one of the issues at the EU was ensuring the discarded fish wouldnt be sold commercially to the public and why some countries wanted the fish used for charitable purposes? This implies we are talking about fish that have a value to the general public.
It equally implies that fishermen might try to bring in usable fish that could be sold or donated if that avenue is open.

What do you propose as an alternative to a quota system?

Hewson

Has it? People have been going to sea to fish for millennia. And they've been dumping part of their catch all this time, have they?

D

Dylan2010

It equally implies that fishermen might try to bring in usable fish that could be sold or donated if that avenue is open.

What do you propose as an alternative to a quota system?
thats like asking how to make USSR production more efficient, it just defies common sense that valuable produce is being dumped for non commercial reasons.

Hewson

thats like asking how to make USSR production more efficient, it just defies common sense that valuable produce is being dumped for non commercial reasons.
Since when did common sense come into anything that emanates from Brussels?

Didimus

It is being diverted from the usual market for precisely commercial reasons.
If fishermen were to have no restraint on what they caught and sold they will deplete fish stocks.
That is bad for business.
If within a quota system fishermen were to give away out of quota fish for free they could undermine the market.
Also bad for business.

D

Dylan2010

It is being diverted from the usual market for precisely commercial reasons.
If fishermen were to have no restraint on what they caught and sold they will deplete fish stocks.
That is bad for business.
If within a quota system fishermen were to give away out of quota fish for free they could undermine the market.
Also bad for business.
go away, really, I never heard that before.

ibis

Which is to say that you see a problem, but have no solution. Everybody sees the problem, though. Quotas aren't a particularly good solution, and it's easy to complain about them, but nobody has a better solution - although there are idiots who think unrestrained fishing is a "better solution".

I don't like the CFP - if I had my way fishing quotas would be set by scientists, not politicians - but with or without the CFP there would be a quota system

ibis

Has it? People have been going to sea to fish for millennia. And they've been dumping part of their catch all this time, have they?
Er, yeah. Because a fishing boat, right, only holds a certain amount of fish - crazy, eh? So if you pick up more valuable fish later in your trip, you dump the less valuable stuff you caught earlier to make space.

Doesn't matter whether you've got a dugout canoe or the USS Enterprise, ye canna break the laws o'physics.

wombat

Its not the act thats the problem so much as the quantities involved. The problem of overfishing has increased rapidly with modern techniques. The Grand Banks of Newfoundland were fished for 500 years but it took 10 years with modern techniques to wipe them out.