So, the gas boiler ain't working.

CatullusV

The pressure is off scale. Somewhere north of the 5 bar mark. So I bleed the rads, nod and take a swig of beer as the pressure drops to 1.2 bar, and close everything off, relight the pilot and turn on a hot tap to test.

No joy. The pressure is again off the scale. The boiler was overhauled a little over six weeks ago.

Any suggestions?

Socratus O' Pericles

Don't work on gas boilers whilst under the influence of alcohol.

sic transit

Is there somewhere where you can normally top up the pressure, like a valve in the hot press? Could have been left on and only plausible explanation of pressure shooting back up again.

Franzoni

If it's north of 5 bar the safety valve should of lifted....

Sounds like the expansion vessel might be gone ...

gatsbygirl20

You have to gradually twist some valves hidden somewhere to adjust the pressure

I got a new boiler a year ago and apparently this is part of the new caper---I never had to twist taps before to adjust pressure on the old system

Now I get one of the males in my house to do it while I hide in the garden shed.

I'm scared enough of gas and gas boilers as it is.

But bending down in a dark cavern under the stairs to gradually increase gas pressure by twisting 2 taps until the needle on the clock rises... Nooooo.

Apparently the "householder" is expected to do this frequently to adjust pressure.

No doubt they'll have us drilling offshore for our gas supply next

God be with the days when you bought a boiler and took no notice of it until the pilot light went out. Then a guy came to fix it

amist4

The pressure is off scale. Somewhere north of the 5 bar mark. So I bleed the rads, nod and take a swig of beer as the pressure drops to 1.2 bar, and close everything off, relight the pilot and turn on a hot tap to test.

No joy. The pressure is again off the scale. The boiler was overhauled a little over six weeks ago.

Any suggestions?
The water pressure is unaffected by turning on your hot tap. I am guessing the circulation pump is failing or gone causing pressure to build up from localized overheating.

That will be €90 seeing as it’s Sunday.

Last edited:

milipod

Any suggestions?
Get a man in.

petaljam

Any suggestions?
Cold showers until the end of the summer?

EUrJokingMeRight

You have to gradually twist some valves hidden somewhere to adjust the pressure

I got a new boiler a year ago and apparently this is part of the new caper---I never had to twist taps before to adjust pressure on the old system

Now I get one of the males in my house to do it while I hide in the garden shed.

I'm scared enough of gas and gas boilers as it is.

But bending down in a dark cavern under the stairs to gradually increase gas pressure by twisting 2 taps until the needle on the clock rises... Nooooo.

Apparently the "householder" is expected to do this frequently to adjust pressure.

No doubt they'll have us drilling offshore for our gas supply next

God be with the days when you bought a boiler and took no notice of it until the pilot light went out. Then a guy came to fix it
How very feminist of you :p

GDPR

Any suggestions?
Safety discharge pipe? This happened to me and I dont know anything, but being me, I knew it was a leak from a pipe. It usually is. if its outside your property, go look. it will be dripping.

amist4

Safety discharge pipe? This happened to me and I dont know anything, but being me, I knew it was a leak from a pipe. It usually is. if its outside your property, go look. it will be dripping.
If the issue is water being discharged, the pressure will reduce, not increase.

Franzoni

If the issue is water being discharged, the pressure will reduce, not increase.
The safety valve should of lifted once it started going over 3 bar ......

GabhaDubh

If a hammer can’t fix it, it’s got to be electrical.

Franzoni

It's still a symptom and not the issue per se.
I already outlined the probable cause on page one...

OP fired the boiler and the expansion vessel is burst causing the pressure to build and the safety didn't pop at 3 bar as it should...

The reason it decreased when he bled the rads is obvious and it went back up because the fill loop hasn't been turned off and the boiler was still on...

The fill loop being left on is a bad sign.. it's an old trick on sealed systems to hide a possible undetected leak on the system and to stop the boiler locking out on low pressure... i'd recommend the OP looks at any rads for signs of rust on the bottom possibly on the ground floor where pipes might be in concrete etc....

I'd also strongly advise the OP not to fire the boiler again until it's been looked at by a pro as it's highly dangerous if the safety is bolloxed or rated too high for that system and the pressure has nowhere to expand or escape ...

New Threads

Most Replies