• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

So, these new drivers licences....

Marcos the black

What's the story? I heard on Matt Cooper this evening that you can no longer go into the local Garda station with the photo, you have to go to your nearest motor tax office, where they will verify you, and your photo, and keep it on record!

Apparently whatever company has got the tender for this has said that 90% of the population will have to travel less than 50km to register the photo's!!!!! What about the other 10%? And 50km, (100km round trip) is a half day off work!!!

Ok, I've no links for this (I did a search and couldn't find a pre existing thread on this, but if there is one, please merge) and this is all based on the 10 mins discussing this on the Matt Cooper Show this evening, but it seems to be absolute madness.

Am I wrong?

Bill

when are they available, I think my license is up in a few months

Marcos the black

Apparently from September on... But as I say, I don't really know anything about it...

DCon

Bill

I don't think I have ever gone to my local pharmacy to have my photo taken

mickterry

It is the same in Australia. All photos for a licence are taken at the Licencing authority. No story here at all.

storybud1

Here was a super chance to collect fingerprints for ID purposes, wasted yet again.
fingerprints will be a big part of the digital future - see

Mobile Phones With Fingerprint ID Coming This Year - Bloomberg

Imagine Gardai/social welfare/immigration officers equipped with these devices to check IDs (which would be instantly sent back to a database to check) this would ensure no info is kept on the scanner.

Bill

finger print recognition has been available on laptops for years, it's crap, don't see why sticking it on a phone would be any different

Mad as Fish

Here was a super chance to collect fingerprints for ID purposes, wasted yet again.
fingerprints will be a big part of the digital future - see

Mobile Phones With Fingerprint ID Coming This Year - Bloomberg

Imagine Gardai/social welfare/immigration officers equipped with these devices to check IDs (which would be instantly sent back to a database to check) this would ensure no info is kept on the scanner.
I doubt it, all biometrics are flawed by the same basic problem. The more records you have on the database the less reliable they become. Besides which the European court of Human Rights has come down against retention of biometrics, including fingerprints, for all except convicted criminals.

Feckkit

The new licences will also cost €55, more than double the current €25 charge.

There's the other interesting bit, from DCon's link.

davoid

19th January.

I heard the bit about going to places to get a photo and ID checked.

Then you go to another place for a passport.

Then you go to another place for a sw card.

But you cant just go to one place and get your ID checked for passport/sw/drivers licence.

That would be too much like efficiency

Mad as Fish

19th January.

I heard the bit about going to places to get a photo and ID checked.

Then you go to another place for a passport.

Then you go to another place for a sw card.

But you cant just go to one place and get your ID checked for passport/sw/drivers licence.

That would be too much like efficiency
If you are arguing for an all encompassing ID card then that is a whole new debate. Try checking out NO2ID in the UK for a primer on the problems (and expense) it generates

storybud1

I doubt it, all biometrics are flawed by the same basic problem. The more records you have on the database the less reliable they become. Besides which the European court of Human Rights has come down against retention of biometrics, including fingerprints, for all except convicted criminals.
I seriously doubt America is collecting biometrics on all visitors for a laugh, the more records the less reliable ? WTF, the photo ID is also on the card and these new scanners can also read vein layouts of the hand etc, the more detailed info collected at source the more reliable these new ID systems will be.

Eye colour
fingerprint
Vein layout on hand
Photo
Middle name which is not printed
Mothers maiden name (not printed)

Here was the best chance ever to know who the Fook is on this Island.

All they had to do was get the Driving licence Dept/Gardai/Social Welfare(PPs no.)/Immigration/Foreign affairs (they issue passports)Airlines/Ferrys together and come up with a plan for a world class ID system for everyone on this Island over 16.

But no, all we have is a bunch of pharmacists wining on about not being able to overcharge for a simple photo ? surely there is an app to configure your phone to take correct photos and get them printed and posted back for a fiver.wait a minute,,

No passport? No problem. How smartphones are revolutionizing travel | CNN Travel

Marcos the black

Yea. Other people overcharge too.
Seriously... Stop talking about the "cost" of the licence for a second.. 50 years ago you could renew your licence locally.. Now, in spite of everything that has happened from a technology point of view we now have to drive for over 100 km to get these.... WTF.. Are we nuts?

Popular Threads

Most Replies