So what do people REALLY want from the next government?

Disillusioned democrat

So, a few wee posts by the Irish Times on their FB account today kinda hinting that Micheal Martin is shaping up for a 2018 election because if he doesn't he's yesterday's man.

One of the things I assumed I'd see on p.ie was a reasonable roadmap for politicians to follow - an open expression of what people felt was right/wrong with government policy TODAY helping the candidates of tomorrow shape their manifestos.

Sadly 45% of what you see is sometimes irrational complaining about the government and 45% always irrational defense of the government party/telling us all how much worse it'd be with SF in government and finally 10% gossip.

If there was an election in 2k18 and you were sitting in a room with all the candidates in your area what would you ask them to do for the next 5 years?

HarshBuzz

to stop talking about my area and think about national strategy instead

Marcos the black

So, a few wee posts by the Irish Times on their FB account today kinda hinting that Micheal Martin is shaping up for a 2018 election because if he doesn't he's yesterday's man.

One of the things I assumed I'd see on p.ie was a reasonable roadmap for politicians to follow - an open expression of what people felt was right/wrong with government policy TODAY helping the candidates of tomorrow shape their manifestos.

Sadly 45% of what you see is sometimes irrational complaining about the government and 45% always irrational defense of the government party/telling us all how much worse it'd be with SF in government and finally 10% gossip.

If there was an election in 2k18 and you were sitting in a room with all the candidates in your area what would you ask them to do for the next 5 years?
Why do people use words like 2k18?

Accidental sock

I'll be happy with a jetpack

Bill

Cake and a nice cup of tea would be grand.

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
Pious and the "Ego" both suffer mental brainstorms turning them in to Bernie Madoff wannabes. They proceed to bankrupt F.G and F.F and skip the country. :rolleyes:

cabledude

Not being so cynical. Being a bit more honest and more forthright. Putting the citizens and electorate ahead of the party.

I know, not asking for a lot.....

cabledude

I want a politician who will call it like he/she sees it.

Today for instance, the Minister for Transport should have gone into the Dail today and called those buffoons who swam in the stormy seas yesterday, putting lives at risk, what they are; idiots.

What happened? Feck all. Thats what I'd have done. Which is why I'll never be a Minister. Or TD for that matter. Folks, generally, don't really like the truth. They think they do, but they don't.

Nemesiscorporation

What does 2K18 mean? Is English your first language?

From the government I want to see them lay a twin high speed railway line from Dublin to Dublin Airport, to Monaghan, to Omagh to Lifford-Strabane splitting at Lifford with lines to Letterkenny and Derry to open up the entire North West for business.

I would like to see at least 30,000 social housing units built per year.

I would like ETB to be offer more progression on its courses to higher levels, so as to assist more people to get off the dole, instead of leaving them half way there.

I want to see Garda wearing uniform cameras at all times so that all arrests are recorded for evidence.

I want to see people with more than 10 convictions put in jail for life as they are clearly a danger to society.

I want to see the state take over every single school and hospital.

Thats just for starters.

Travis Bickle

We need politicians who care about the country, not just the part that directly effects them.

It's obvious we need affordable housing. But tax money will be loaned to private developers for private builds instead.

I guess the main thing would be accountability. Ahearn should be stripped of his pension. When Noonan is found out he should do time.

TakeitAll

Some backbone and less wasteful use of public money

mr_anderson

To stop seeing symptoms as problems.
Because they end up with the wrong 'solution', thereby making everything worse.
We just get short-term, knee-jerk reactions, rather than a strategy that goes beyond their administration.

the secretary

I'd like to see the government fully roll out broadband to all areas equally.

I'd like to see homehelp hours packages drastically improved and regional hospitals properly funded to free up much needed space in our general hospitals.

I'd like to see them do something in the second level education sector for those who are not academic but are forced through the system only to get offeref some course at 3rd level then drop out.

I'd like to see the insurance companies dragged across the coals for ripping off everyone in the country with excessive car insurance costs but hey, you can't have everything!!!

Disillusioned democrat

To stop seeing symptoms as problems.
Because they end up with the wrong 'solution', thereby making everything worse.
We just get short-term, knee-jerk reactions, rather than a strategy that goes beyond their administration.
Or stop seeing problems as opportunities?

IMHO housing has been hijacked - a good and noble aspiration turned into a money spinning racket for the well connected.

30,000 affordable and social homes, certainly, but well managed and built efficiently at cost+ not for multiples of that

New Threads

Most Replies