So What Has Mass Tourism Here Done for The Ordinary Folk?

General Urko

I was a branch of Dunnes Stores in a city centre location , today and there was a mob of loud Italian teenagers running around it! Now, apart from being a bit annoying, they were loud and in packs, they were not nasty at all!
But with the talk of possibly removing the special tax rate re the hospitality sector which was initially funded by an absolutely disgusting 'raid' on private sector pensions, and which apparently has not been passed on to customers or staff and from what I have heard costs about 1/2 a Billion per year (though it seems extremely high), it really beggars the question how do we the ordinary Paddy benefit from mass tourism?
Granted, the talent level goes up a bit and almost all of us have been tourists ourselves, so it's a case of having the serve returned!
However, clogged up streets, noisey eejits and above all, The Sleeveen Employers which plague the hospitality sector are very annoying and the latter is actually stomach turning!:mad:

Man or Mouse

so, what have our national shortcomings got to do with tourism?

NYCKY

Well what have the Romans ever done for us....?

Apart from tens of thousand of jobs, billions to the local economy, hundreds of millions in tax receipts, huge boosts to local sports, culture, heritage etc, I guess not much.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1229/841647-tourism/

The tourism industry was worth over €8 billion to the Irish economy in 2016 - surpassing all previous records.

Figures show the number of international visitors increased to 8.8 million - up 10% on the previous year.
https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/business-tourism-to-ireland-worth-700m-to-economy-1.3083557

General Urko

Apart from tens of thousand of jobs, billions to the local economy, hundreds of millions in tax receipts, huge boosts to local sports, culture, heritage etc, I guess not much.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/business-tourism-to-ireland-worth-700m-to-economy-1.3083557
Yes but that money is mostly into the pockets of sleeveen rubbish level employers where the minimum wage and less is the norm!
And if you have no connection to tourism, how exactly are you benefitting from it?

General Urko

General Urko

I would turn a jaundiced arse to any middle media p[eddling a middle class narrative on top of working class folk!

NYCKY

Yes but that money is mostly into the pockets of sleeveen rubbish level employers where the minimum wage and less is the norm!
And if you have no connection to tourism, how exactly are you benefitting from it?
Oh don't wind me up!

You don't need a direct connection to the tourist industry to benefit. Tourists pay taxes on practically everything they do in the country, including entering and exiting. In addition to VAT, there is the spending across the economy, which creates jobs, as a result of this employment, the government collects taxes, levies, charges from the employer and the employee which goes to fund schools, hospitals, roads etc.

Alan Alda

Oh don't wind me up!

You don't need a direct connection to the tourist industry to benefit. Tourists pay taxes on practically everything they do in the country, including entering and exiting. In addition to VAT, there is the spending across the economy, which creates jobs, as a result of this employment, the government collects taxes, levies, charges from the employer and the employee which goes to fund schools, hospitals, roads etc.
OK ,so tourism isnt terrible. Its hardly the basis of a powerful economy though.
There is an over estimation of it , in this country, imo. And you didnt address its exploitative nature in your comment.
It is massively exploitative of workers.

General Urko

OK ,so tourism isnt terrible. Its hardly the basis of a powerful economy though.
There is an over estimation of it , in this country, imo. And you didnt address its exploitative nature in your comment.
+1,000!

NYCKY

How is it exploitative?

Edit: Tourism isn't the basis of a powerful economy anywhere.

Alan Alda

How is it exploitative?
The wages are rubbish , the hours are insane. Ask ANYBODY who has any experience of the industry.
Numerous official reports also. Common knowledge really.

General Urko

How is it exploitative?
Minimum wage and less payers, also exploiting non visa holding workers, also pocketing huge profits on everyone else's backs, including the private sector pension fund raid!
There are a lot of nasty piss pulling scum in that industry, alright!:mad:

D

Deleted member 48908

What has mass tourism done?

It has kept the churches open, Urko.

NYCKY

The wages are rubbish , the hours are insane. Ask ANYBODY who has any experience of the industry.
Numerous official reports also. Common knowledge really.
Are the people taking these jobs indentured or something? Can't they take other jobs?

NYCKY

Minimum wage and less payers, also exploiting non visa holding workers, also pocketing huge profits on everyone else's backs, including the private sector pension fund raid!
There are a lot of nasty piss pulling scum in that industry, alright!:mad:
You might have an argument on the minimum wage, if Ireland didn't already have one of the highest minimum wages in the World.

Alan Alda

Are the people taking these jobs indentured or something? Can't they take other jobs?
Not very often. Lately there is a trend for government agencies , such as Turas nua , to direct people to these low paid , exploitative jobs. Or else! if you get my drift.

General Urko

That's uncomfortably close, to Australia's Wealthiest woman (who inherited all her wealth) saying that if Africans can live on a $ a day, I don't see why Australians can't!:mad:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies