So What Is Britain's National Interest?

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

Theresa May is going to implement Brexit and she made it unambiguously clear that the Brits are only after what's in their own and very narrow national interest. The Brits don't care what's in the interest of any other nation or political block for that matter. In negotiations with the EU she will pursue this line but what is in Britain's national interest? Border controls? EU exports? does Britain export anything beside financial debts? NATO membership?

Where do you get the idea that Brits are only after what is in their own and very narrow minded interests or that they don't care?

sgtharper

Theresa May is going to implement Brexit and she made it unambiguously clear that the Brits are only after what's in their own and very narrow national interest. The Brits don't care what's in the interest of any other nation or political block for that matter. In negotiations with the EU she will pursue this line but what is in Britain's national interest? Border controls? EU exports? does Britain export anything beside financial debts? NATO membership?
I'm sorry, but you're going to have to be patient with me here, where exactly did May, in the link you posted, make it "unambiguously clear that the Brits are only after what's in theirown very narrow national interest"? The only direct quote from May in that article is "Brexit means Brexit", so what are you talking about here?, because you seem to be just "making sh*t up" as far as I can see.

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

Where do you get the idea that Brits are only after what is in their own and very narrow minded interests or that they don't care?
I would say it's not in the national interest for the UK to leave the EU but with May's words: "Brexit means Brexit and she will make a success of it." She has now defined Brexit as in the British national interest.

Dubstudent

Theresa May is going to implement Brexit
Of course she is. The British people democratically voted to Leave the European Union. Unlike in this two bob basketcase the British political class actually listen to referendum results.

The ''European project'' will be destroyed piece by piece in the coming years.

Good riddance to it.

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

Of course she is. The British people democratically voted to Leave the European Union. Unlike in this two bob basketcase the British political class actually listen to referendum results.

The ''European project'' will be destroyed piece by piece in the coming years.

Good riddance to it.
so destroying the "European project" is now in the British national interest?

The Field Marshal

I would say it's not in the national interest for the UK to leave the EU but with May's words: "Brexit means Brexit and she will make a success of it." She has now defined Brexit as in the British national interest.
Britains national interest is what the people of Britain decide.

It is none of any other nations interest.

Enda Kenny, Barak Obama and Bob Geldof tried to tell the people of Britain what their NI was and correctly those individuals were told to take a hike.

I would have preffered Britain to stay in the EU but if they want out then that is their free choice.

It looks like you do do not respect the freedom of the British to exercise choices of this kind.

The Field Marshal

so destroying the "European project" is now in the British national interest?
You are the type that makes staying in the EU increasingly difficult for all members.

Your daft position now is that members are nearly obliged to remain so otherwise their departure destroys the EU:roll:

Why can you not respect the rights of nations to decide their own destiny?

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

Enda Kenny, Barak Obama and Bob Geldof tried to tell the people of Britain what their NI was and correctly those individuals were told to take a hike.

I would have preffered Britain to stay in the EU but if they want out then that is their free choice.

It looks like you do do not respect the freedom of the British to exercise choices of this kind.
fair enough but by leaving the EU Britain inevitably sets itself up outside the EU. most likely in conflict with a number of key policy issues the EU has defined as not negotiable. e.g. free movement.

shiel

The English have voted to leave the EU for the same reason that they let one million people die on this island during the famine.

The English think they are some kind of superior race and the rest are inferior.

They did not respect the freedom of many nations this one included during the empire.

They may have to now endure the same atititude from the rest of Europe.

daveL

making rich people richer

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

You are the type that makes staying in the EU increasingly difficult for all members.

Your daft position now is that members are nearly obliged to remain so otherwise their departure destroys the EU:roll:

Why can you not respect the rights of nations to decide their own destiny?
I think it's a reasonable question from a security point of view going towards an ever closer European Union military collaboration unit. The UK has the highest per capita military spending in Europe. How is it going to fit in.

The Field Marshal

I think it's a reasonable question from a security point of view going towards an ever closer European Union military collaboration unit.
Not going to happen.

You and the USA neocons /euroslaves pushing for this will never succeed.

Try pushing it far enough and you will provoke violence on the streets of Europe.

The UK has the highest per capita military spending in Europe. How is it going to fit in.
None of your business or the business of anybody else in Europe.

UK military spending and policy is a matter for the people of Britain alone to decide.

Britain is a member of NATO and that will continue I expect as long as NATO exists.

The great advantage to Brexit is that true national freedom and independence has been obtained by the British people.

Regretably they had little choice but to leave the EU primarily becuase of the actions of the German chancellor and the President [a man of German extraction] of the EU commission.

sgtharper

The English have voted to leave the EU for the same reason that they let one million people die on this island during the famine.
Really? :shock2: :shock2: :shock2: Do Tell!

The English think they are some kind of superior race and the rest are inferior.
Right, that's why almost the entire political class were in favour of staying then I presume? And what about the millions of N.Irish, Scots and Welsh who also voted to leave?

They did not respect the freedom of many nations this one included during the empire.
Aah, our old friend the Empire! Sure where would you be without it! As soon as I saw the famine being dragged into it I knew it could't be far behind,

They may have to now endure the same atititude from the rest of Europe.
Whatever the hell that means.:rolleyes:

Now run along, and take your dim-witted, myopic Anglophobia with you.

shiel

Right, that's why almost the entire political class were in favour of staying then I presume? And what about the millions of N.Irish, Scots and Welsh who also voted to leave?
Aah, our old friend the Empire! Sure where would you be without it! As soon as I saw the famine being dragged into it I knew it could't be far behind,
Keep up the personal abuse. It is a powerful political tool.

Keep up the efforts to intimidate people who might raise the level of the debate from personal abuse to the basic issues.

Silencing people through intimidation and ridicule works.

But I am sorry I am not going to be intimidated into silence.

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

still confused here, does anyone has any idea what's in Britain's national interest? now outside the EU. Armed to the teeth. UK investment banks fading into insignificance.

The Field Marshal

Poster Shiel is just bitter.
His beloved EU project is unravelling and he now resorts to Brit bashing.

Who would want to be in an EU with people like Shiel?

The Field Marshal

Keep up the personal abuse. It is a powerful political tool.

Keep up the efforts to intimidate people who might raise the level of the debate from personal abuse to the basic issues.

Silencing people through intimidation and ridicule works.

But I am sorry I am not going to be intimidated into silence.
Then stop whinging.

Britain has voted to leave and people like you make me also want to leave despite what I see as definite advantages to EU membership.

The EU to survive must above all other matters revive the parity of esteem concept.

The abandonment of that fuelled by USA strategy to give Germany an EU hegemon is the current root of the problem.

National sovereignty is paramount and you must accept this.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies