So what's the lesson learned here folks?

jtbooker

Clanrickard

So a state official steals E100,000 from the BOI and gets a slap on the wrist for her troubles.

State official avoids jail after stealing €100,000 from bank - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

What sort of message does this give out?! Waste the State's time and money on prosecuting her and for what? She should have been put away for years...:mad:
The Revenue gave me two days to pay 76000 euro on Thursday or they would start proceedings to liquidate my company. Reading this makes me sick. I wonder why I shouldn't keep double books or cheat as it seems cheats prosper.

Clanrickard

Yep - screw, fiddle and cook is the way forward my friend. 100G because the silly twit, like ever other twirp in this country who thought they were a property developer, bought an apartment in Turkey and got burned. We the tax payer take another hit in the costs associated with bringing this farce to trial.
Had she been a private sector business, those evil capitalist pigs, she'd have been jailed.

Clanrickard

I think we should also note that in the article that it says "Fiona Finnegan (39), a married woman with a family from Sylaun, Tuam, Co Galway,". I wonder if it was a married man with a family would this be noted or would the sentence be as lenient?

myksav

So a state official steals E100,000 from the BOI and gets a slap on the wrist for her troubles.

State official avoids jail after stealing €100,000 from bank - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

What sort of message does this give out?! Waste the State's time and money on prosecuting her and for what? She should have been put away for years...:mad:
Wow, someone in the two banks scewed up in not waiting for the cheque to clear. Any time I lodge a cheque, it takes a few days before it's credited to the account it's lodged in, even back then in those days of loose (no) regulatory control from FinReg.

firefly123

Had she been a private sector business, those evil capitalist pigs, she'd have been jailed.
You do realise that her place of employment had absolutely nothing to do with what she did right? She did not steal from the state, she made up a fake company and stole from the bank. The headline was there to grab the attention of all the rabid anti public sector looneys. DEAR GOD! READ the article!
She could have been a check out girl or a bloody artifical inseminator!
So I dont think her job saved her jail time, it was the "wont somebody think of the children" defense.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
If you heard the report you would see she was operating in the private sector with this scam. It appears she had a private company which is what the 100K was drawn on, but the private company didn't actually have the cash to back up the cheque.

She repaid the money to BOI, and I presume would have incurred costs in defending the case. I can't say I'm delighted with the notion of a suspended sentence in this instance but nor does a custodial sentence make a lot of sense since it was crime without violence, low risk of re-offending (so not a danger to society) and it would involve a significant cost to the state to put her up.

What we need is half-way house between custodial sentences and suspended ones. for debts and other crimes of the like.

Clanrickard

If you heard the report you would see she was operating in the private sector with this scam. It appears she had a private company which is what the 100K was drawn on, but the private company didn't actually have the cash to back up the cheque.

She repaid the money to BOI, and I presume would have incurred costs in defending the case. I can't say I'm delighted with the notion of a suspended sentence in this instance but nor does a custodial sentence make a lot of sense since it was crime without violence, low risk of re-offending (so not a danger to society) and it would involve a significant cost to the state to put her up.

What we need is half-way house between custodial sentences and suspended ones. for debts and other crimes of the like.
Yes you are right I have heard the report. We should try something like house arrest where the person has a young family or forcing convicts to work for the state.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo

A question that remains is will somebody who has been convicted of such a massive fraud still be allowed to operate as a State official? Exactly how low is the bar for public service?

dresden8

Er, the Indo likes to tar all public sector workers with the same brush, and the usual suspects love to jump on the bandwagon?

yehbut_nobut

A question that remains is will somebody who has been convicted of such a massive fraud still be allowed to operate as a State official? Exactly how low is the bar for public service?

Well, as a starting measure, can we take it you failed the application procedure? ;)

Maximus Cynicus

In answer to the original question, yes learned something new here today - whatever financial resources you do have, you can quite happily steal up to. If it all goes tits up, then you can merely produce a draft for the required amount and secure a get out of jail free card. You rolled the dice but lost. Hey, you coulda won, eh? No risk here. Nice and simple. Something you can dine out on for a while.

I can't say I'm delighted with the notion of a suspended sentence in this instance but nor does a custodial sentence make a lot of sense since it was crime without violence, low risk of re-offending (so not a danger to society) and it would involve a significant cost to the state to put her up.

Ah you needen't worry here, mate. People with devious minds like this will always find a way out - something like the auld Ernest Saunders ruse of feigning Alzheimers which MIRACULOUSLY disappears entirely on early release. Or another popular one is to find religion while doing yer porridge. No problemo whatsoever. Mundus vult decipi, Ergo decipiatutr

Maximus Cynicus

At the same time though it would hardly be grounds for dismissal from the private sector (unless you worked for BOI!)
Dismissal??? Would you - as an employer - like to have someone with that track record working for you???

Although, stratch that - the headhunters are probably camped on her doorstep as we speak - the same headhunters that deluded Jim McDaid was talking about standing in line outside the dail to capture the unique talents of those individuals also

jtbooker

bagel

Two self-confessed heroin addicts, who pleaded guilty to stealing €300 from a shop, were before that same judge on that same day and one received 2 years imprisonment with a further 2 years suspended whilst the other received 4 years suspended.
Steal €300 and have the book thrown at you but steal €100,000 and you just stand in the bold corner.
Socio-economic justice, 'corrupt Ireland' style.

HughinBandon

Two self-confessed heroin addicts, who pleaded guilty to stealing €300 from a shop, were before that same judge on that same day and one received 2 years imprisonment with a further 2 years suspended whilst the other received 4 years suspended.
Steal €300 and have the book thrown at you but steal €100,000 and you just stand in the bold corner.
Socio-economic justice, 'corrupt Ireland' style.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: is right, but then drug related crime is frowned upon by the ruling classes while financical fraud is virtually encouraged.

Madness!!

Ulster-Lad

The lesson is that White Collar crime is the way to go and to go big....

MadAsHell

Surely she should have claimed that her back garden was lying fallow and instead got a cheque from the department under CAP.

Anyone know what position she held in the Department and whether an investigation has been undertaken by them.

bagel

Corruption or Incompetence in the Justice system?

Although not a legal expert, i've spent many years involved in the so-called administration of justice in this country and i'm sickened at whats happening in the Courts in our name.

Consider the following:

The convicted criminal that is the subject of this thread has been reported upon in the current issue of the Tuam Herald (Sorry, no online link).
The article is titled "Bank embezzlement woman on new forgery charge" and states that this criminal is facing a charge of forgery relating "to an allegation dating back to March 1st 2009".
One wonders why this Charge couldn't have been dealt with at the same court sitting that dealt with the sentencing for the embezzlement of €100,000.
One possible reason is that facing two Charges of embezzlement at the same sitting would make it more difficult for the Judge NOT to imprison her.
Hold that thought, it gets worse, a whole lot worse.

She's also facing a further Charge for failing to appear before the court on 9th Feb last.
As this lady was well known to the Gardai by then, how come a Bench Warrant wasn't sought?
How come this Charge wasn't mentioned at the court sitting that dealt with the €100,000 embezzlement sentencing?
Perhaps the Charge for failing to appear wasn't filed by then?
If thats the situation, then why the delay in filing the Charge?
If no other Charges were pending on the occassion of the sentencing hearing, it would look good for the Defendant.
As its now obvious that this Lady had 2 other Charges that were due to come before the Court, I ask myself what are the Gardai/DPP/etc up to.

Now, the icing on the cake!
This Lady is also charged with 2 counts of "breaching a barring order at her home dating back to 2007".
Breaches of barring orders are frequently dealt with in a very prompt manner and often result in imprisonment for the first offence.
Now let no-one tell me that the Gardai/DPP weren't aware of these 2 Charges (from 2007) when the recent sentencing hearing took place.

I'll call it as I see it.
This whole affair appears to me to be a blatant perversion of the course of Justice.
The holding back of several lesser charges until after the sentencing for the big one appears to be an attempt to portray this Lady as a person of good character who only slipped up once and therefore deserved great leniency for the massive fraud she perpetrated.
Even if she is subsequently convicted for these lesser ones, the sentences she's liable for are a breeze compared to what she could have received for the big one.

These lesser charges could and should have been disposed of in the District Court at any time since 2007 and convictions obtained or otherwise.

Meanwhile, the heroin addict that was involved in the theft of €300 has a lot of his 2 year sentence still to serve.

Good on ya Ireland

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies