Soc Dem Kerry branch launched

Breanainn

According to today's Kerryman, a meeting was held on October 5th to establish a Kerry branch of the Social Democrats, with "about ten activists" reportedly involved. Though the article states that the group are as yet unaffiliated to the national party, a cursory look at the group's Facebook pages shows that Wicklow councillor Jennifer Whitmore sought meeting particulars for the party newsletter, which suggests national endorsement of activities. Given that a general election can be expected in 2017, it seems highly unlikely that Kerry will see a Soc Dem candidate by that stage, but the local elections (particularly the Tralee district) are a realistic timetable target. No details of names have emerged, but presumably those involved are ex-Labour members.

The Field Marshal

God help Ireland

DJP

Website
darrenjprior.blogspot.com
Twitter
https://twitter.com/DarrenJPrior
According to today's Kerryman, a meeting was held on October 5th to establish a Kerry branch of the Social Democrats, with "about ten activists" reportedly involved. Though the article states that the group are as yet unaffiliated to the national party, a cursory look at the group's Facebook pages shows that Wicklow councillor Jennifer Whitmore sought meeting particulars for the party newsletter, which suggests national endorsement of activities. Given that a general election can be expected in 2017, it seems highly unlikely that Kerry will see a Soc Dem candidate by that stage, but the local elections (particularly the Tralee district) are a realistic timetable target. No details of names have emerged, but presumably those involved are ex-Labour members.
I wouldn't bet on a GE being called next year. A branch of them are starting in my consituency of Dublin West soon also, and I have no interest in what they get up to. Unless you are involved in the party I don't understand the desire to report on their activities.

Breanainn

I wouldn't bet on a GE being called next year. A branch of them are starting in my consituency of Dublin West soon also, and I have no interest in what they get up to. Unless you are involved in the party I don't understand the desire to report on their activities.
They're the last national party to establish a branch in Kerry, and given that quite a few P.ie regulars are from the Kingdom, BeaC among others will have her political antennae tuned to developments.

Bea C

This is actually the first I've heard of this!

Skypeme

According to today's Kerryman, a meeting was held on October 5th to establish a Kerry branch of the Social Democrats, with "about ten activists" reportedly involved......presumably those involved are ex-Labour members.
"About ten...." more "ex-Labour" members go trotting off to join another bunch of non-entities. That must leave at least another ten behind to nurse their deflated egos.

Too much to expect that Amadan O'Riordan is one of them?

the secretary

Can anyone join or just Kerry people?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
I expect the Soc Dems will adopt a zoophilia platform...given how fond Kerry men are of their sheeps and goats

cyp

Breanainn

Ben Slimm appears to be the local spokesperson - started out with the LGBT grouping in IT Tralee, before being elected Student Union President. Says they now have the numbers to approach the National Executive for affiliation - seems to be a case of student politicians wanting to climb the greasy pole, but fair play to anyone with the nerve to already be preparing for the locals.

automaticforthepeople

Ben Slimm appears to be the local spokesperson - started out with the LGBT grouping in IT Tralee, before being elected Student Union President. Says they now have the numbers to approach the National Executive for affiliation - seems to be a case of student politicians wanting to climb the greasy pole, but fair play to anyone with the nerve to already be preparing for the locals.
I'd say Ben has a slim enough chance of a seat in an election

PBP voter

What?

The Soc Dems are still a thing? petunia

New Threads

Most Replies