Social Democrats - too small to survive?

Breanainn

Analysing their prospects in a purely neutral manner, it's difficult to see a successful long-term niche for the party - SF and AAA-PBP have the radical left electors covered, the Greens are increasing in strength and credibility on the centre-left, and Labour will shed their current opprobrium the longer that this Dáil survives. If they survive until the 2019 local elections, an influx of councillors may enhance their prospects, but can they survive that long on minimal resources and two TDs?

statsman

No leader, a structure that is little more than a Facebook group, no chance of a unified policy on the 8th, not a lot of policy clarity on anything else. Stuffed.

Supra

Is there an example of a political party that hasn't evolved from a movement?
I'm not sure of any successes that seen TDs or established persons come together to form a party that has worked.

PD's, Libertas, Ren Nua, etc have all failed.

I suppose it doesn't look good for the SDs

sic transit

No leader, a structure that is little more than a Facebook group, no chance of a unified policy on the 8th, not a lot of policy clarity on anything else. Stuffed.
And then there's the unapologetic use of a party moniker to get its only TDs reelected. Personally think it is a pity because there is space where they imagined they wanted to be. It's completely the wrong people selling the deal, none of whom would inspire anyone to even sign up to a FB group!.

sic transit

Is there an example of a political party that hasn't evolved from a movement?
I'm not sure of any successes that seen TDs or established persons come together to form a party that has worked.

PD's, Libertas, Ren Nua, etc have all failed.

I suppose it doesn't look good for the SDs
The PDs were the only ones that lasted but FF took their clothes and that was it. Historically small parties have come and gone.

Supra

The PDs were the only ones that lasted but FF took their clothes and that was it. Historically small parties have come and gone.
Yes but I'm not just talking about small parties. I can see some longevity in SP and PBP etc but these parties that are established from the top down are more prone to failure.

sic transit

Yes but I'm not just talking about small parties. I can see some longevity in SP and PBP etc but these parties that are established from the top down are more prone to failure.
The likes of the SP/PBP come out of the same hard left ideology. They will never die but will never get big enough to have any effect on politics either. For other entities they are up against the two biggest parties and to a lesser extent Labour. They can't have the luxury of unchanging ideals if they want to win seats in an environment where the majority of voters have no affiliation to any ideology.

GDPR

They should have put the leadership issue to bed at their national conference in November and undoubtedly they lost their most talented and high profile member in Donnelly. Given the low figures for Labour, they really should be gaining, yet the competition is drowning them out. The locals are a long way to go yet but they need to be getting one candidate per constituency in place or more where they have support. Fading away from national spotlight would be fair to say.

Last edited:

PBP voter

No chance of survival.

Just another small right wing Pro-immigration party that will disappear. Just like the PDs.

PBP voter

They can be accused of being a lot of things, but hardly of being right wing :shock:
They are right wing extremists who want to flood the country with cheap labour.

EoinMag

They are right wing extremists who want to flood the country with cheap labour.
That's a complete load of nonsense. Have you any idea what social democrats are? They are leftists with some of the pragmatism that the harder left are missing, not right wing by a long chalk.

EoinMag

I know a few labour people switching over as they have become disillusioned with the "new labour" party that they have become.

statsman

The likes of the SP/PBP come out of the same hard left ideology. They will never die but will never get big enough to have any effect on politics either. For other entities they are up against the two biggest parties and to a lesser extent Labour. They can't have the luxury of unchanging ideals if they want to win seats in an environment where the majority of voters have no affiliation to any ideology.
They also have local structures and activists who are willing to do the hard work of getting the message out on the streets and doorsteps, something the SDs sorely lack.

Dame_Enda

They seem to be turning more against the Swedish model which could help them appeal to the 12% of men who have used the services of prostitutes.

statsman

They seem to be turning more against the Swedish model which could help them appeal to the 12% of men who have used the services of prostitutes.
They would lose at least one, probably both, of their TDs.

PBP voter

Johnny Zordan

Analysing their prospects in a purely neutral manner, it's difficult to see a successful long-term niche for the party - SF and AAA-PBP have the radical left electors covered, the Greens are increasing in strength and credibility on the centre-left, and Labour will shed their current opprobrium the longer that this Dáil survives. If they survive until the 2019 local elections, an influx of councillors may enhance their prospects, but can they survive that long on minimal resources and two TDs?
How are the greens increasing in strength ? Catherine Martin has been a total non entity since being elected, I expect Ryan will be their only Dail seat after the next general election.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies