• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Social Welfare Change could Shut Down 400 Post Offices

Lara2

I don't know if I should put this in the economy section or current affairs section:

Social welfare change 'could shut 400 post offices' | BreakingNews.ie

This is a worrying development in my opinion. I am on a back to education allowance- BTEA (the same rate as jobseekers - 188 euro a week) I always collected my previous jobseekers allowance from the post office and when I was given the option to receive my BTEA allowance through my bank account, I declined as I am quite happy to continue to receive it through my local post office.
Apart from the devastating effect it will have on post offices, I am also worried about the fact that over the period of a year I would lose out to the equivalent of half a week's allowance (or more) through bank charges etc.
Is anyone else concerned about this ?

Kitty O'Shea

I'd be more worried about the impact on the local post office.
If you have a bank account you will still be subject to government levies.
Also, just so you know, by posting here you are open to a lynching for your not working status - consider yourself warned.

sic transit

PTSB have free banking. Switch to them. While it is not desirable one would have to question a business model that is so dependent on people queueing for a living.

Bridget558

I don't get this story, The option of having jobseekers payments paid into a bank account was removed a couple of years ago to clamp down on fraud

cobhguy

No What concerns me is the fact that a post office is making 18,000 a year just on one contract to hand out money. Multiply that by all post offices and we can see there is Hugh saving to be made by paying the money straight in bank accounts.

gloria

A bit like the banks, it seems that the post office is actively making it more inconvenient for people to use by under-staffing at the counter and allowing long queues to form.

Nermal

Ulster Bank would charge 4 euro per month in fees, 48 per year. Are you getting less than twice that in BTEA? In any case, you likely have to have a bank account for other reasons anyway, it's not like you'll have to open one specifically for this. Utilities offer cheaper deals for direct debit anyway, so you'd probably save money by opening a bank account if you didn't already have one.

I don't think the government should listen to the bleating of post offices. Pay benefits in the cheapest possible manner.

bonkers

No What concerns me is the fact that a post office is making 18,000 a year just on one contract to hand out money. Multiply that by all post offices and we can see there is Hugh saving to be made by paying the money straight in bank accounts.
How much will the banks charge? You could also be anywhere in the world and still collect your welfare. That's a bit mad, Ted.

tipp revolution

There are just some things which will never be economically profitable but are socially important - a post office is one of those lynchpin community services.

An Post wouldnt be profitable in a fit because of the inbred inefficiency at management levels - hangover from p 7 t times and the lack of flexibility with pricing.

Its a cost that the department could justify from a touchy feely point of view. Its a pity that it seems the only way to measure a company's performance is in monetary terms.

To my mind, it's a false economy to take services away from post offices and shut them down. Give more services to post offices I say eg renewal of motor tax. I had to leave a queue in Nenagh at 12.20 last week, due to bad behaviour of junior family members and that I wasnt sure that I would get to a window in time. Everything shuts down at 1pm, regardless of who's left there. At one point, there was one out of four windows open.

Nermal

There are just some things which will never be economically profitable but are socially important - a post office is one of those lynchpin community services.
Why? What does it do that can't be done cheaper and more efficiently by other channels?

On re-reading the article, I sort of agree with the IPU. People should be allowed to collect their benefits at the post office. But they should pay a fee for doing so, so the government will no longer have to subsidise it. Let's see how much people really value this service.

Rural

We have a local Post Office and it is a life line for all, pensioners, Lottery tickets and One-For-All as pressies for people, the savings account for us and the lads, stamps, postal orders, paying bills like ESB and bin charges etc.

The Postmistress does not earn a whole pile out of it but she keeps going even after she was shot at and her son shot in the leg and on another occassion she was beaten over the head and face with the claw end of a hammer.

Lara2

I'd be more worried about the impact on the local post office.
If you have a bank account you will still be subject to government levies.
Also, just so you know, by posting here you are open to a lynching for your not working status - consider yourself warned.
What are you talking about? I'm in a full time course so that I can hopefully get a job at the end of it.

chriskavo

What are you talking about? I'm in a full time course so that I can hopefully get a job at the end of it.
Lara, she was only being polite. There are a lot of bigots here who think that anyone who is unfortunate enough to be out of work is a scrounger or a burden on the state. Most unemployed people, - the vast majority want to work and hate being on the dole.

cobhguy

How much will the banks charge? You could also be anywhere in the world and still collect your welfare. That's a bit mad, Ted.
They will be charging less than the post office that's all that matters.

The contract is currently worth 36 million to on post and it is up for tender.

There is notting stopping An Post for competing on the tender.

Bonsai Experiment

That will be another 1000 or more jobs in the crapper. These aren't crappy telesales jobs , or counter assistant in some here today gone tomorrow Pound Shop shiite jobs. Oh no.. these are real Irish jobs. Permanent local quality jobs. Jobs that employ ordinary people in the comminity and gives them the money to spend in their community. These jobs cannot be replaced...ever. Short sighted and self defeating policies that will effect the country for ever. Well done FG.

Lara2

That will be another 1000 or more jobs in the crapper. These aren't crappy telesales jobs , or counter assistant in some here today gone tomorrow Pound Shop shiite jobs. Oh no.. these are real Irish jobs. Permanent local quality jobs. Jobs that employ ordinary people in the comminity and gives them the money to spend in their community. These jobs cannot be replaced...ever. Short sighted and self defeating policies that will effect the country for ever. Well done FG.
I should have included this fact in my OP. Also what happens if there's another computer glitch like what occurred with Ulster bank last year.

B

Boggle

Social welfare doesn't exist to keep post offices open. If it is more economical for the state to do it electronically then do it.

If there are fears for jobs, perhaps we could shut motortax offices and move those services to the post office. (Or we could put it on the petrol and let the post office look after it's own future)

sic transit

Social welfare doesn't exist to keep post offices open. If it is more economical for the state to do it electronically then do it.

If there are fears for jobs, perhaps we could shut motortax offices and move those services to the post office. (Or we could put it on the petrol and let the post office look after it's own future)
Motor tax is largely electronic as well. Just an email these days. I actually thought that post offices were expanding on their current banking arrangements.

B

Boggle

Motor tax is largely electronic as well. Just an email these days. I actually thought that post offices were expanding on their current banking arrangements.
I had to go to the motor tax office a month or so ago. Out the door they were.
The electronic thing with the motortax is no good if you go beyond a month overdue.

The point still remains. We should be seeking the most efficient means possible of delivering our services, not using money to prop up facilities like the post office. If the post office needs to be subsidised then do so directly so it is clear what we are paying for.

dancl2000

I don't know if I should put this in the economy section or current affairs section:

Social welfare change 'could shut 400 post offices' | BreakingNews.ie

This is a worrying development in my opinion. I am on a back to education allowance- BTEA (the same rate as jobseekers - 188 euro a week) I always collected my previous jobseekers allowance from the post office and when I was given the option to receive my BTEA allowance through my bank account, I declined as I am quite happy to continue to receive it through my local post office.
Apart from the devastating effect it will have on post offices, I am also worried about the fact that over the period of a year I would lose out to the equivalent of half a week's allowance (or more) through bank charges etc.
Is anyone else concerned about this ?
in other words; modern technology makes something unecessary that previously had a high cost.

it doesnt make sense to keep processing social welfare payments the old way just to keep some post offices open. govt services should be run as efficiently as possible.

if a post office isnt commercially viable, but there's a social reason to keep it open then that's a seperate question. as a country we can decide to keep such post offices open and if that's what we want to do then lets make an explicit subsidy rather than through deliberate inefficiency.