Social Welfare cuts in budget 11

Bridget558

What do you think are the most likely welfare cuts in the budget? Will it be 4 percent in the dole like last year? Will the under 21s who now only get €100 per week get another cut? What about child benifit ?

B

boo-boo

ideas

Half rate payments ie. carer's allowance and jobseekers. OFP will be looked at, and I wonder whether the govt. will now introduce the provision in last years budget of removing OFP for parents with children over 12.

They could also save by cutting existing double payments where people on CE continue to get their full social welfare entitlements. Half rate payments is another issue where people can get half rate carers allowance and other social welfare payments. There is one double standard that doesnt make sense and that's around carers allowance and disability payments. Too sick to work....but yet can work in the home as a carer....sorry, but the operational guidelines that allow for this just doesnt make sense to me!

They could also look at social welfare payments for people doing fas courses....do away with the fas allowances and let them maintain their social welfare rates.

OAP pensions need to be looked at....and particularly the situation where people can have the household package without any means assessment of their household income.

As for jobseekers and other rates, that may be a 5% reduction, but they need to put in place credible labour market activation programmes....that responds to the needs of today's jobseeker.....and unfortunately I dont have any confidence that this govt. or any other political party can do this! We need real jobs with real opportunities....not jobs and measures that just fiddle the unemployment figures!

DeputyEdo

They should cut the mickey money (unmarried mothers or whatever it's called).
Cut the dole, by increments, for people who have been on the dole for, lets say, 5 years or more e.g. on the dole 5 year - lose 10%, on it 6-lose 12% etc

As for boo boos comments about job creation....silly billy...have you forgotten that all the jobs will be flooding in soon thanks to Lisbon 2??

Skinner

Job seekers, dole etc most likely minimum 10% cut, might even make 15%.

Very unlikely child benefit will be touched, maybe it will, remember anything to do with women and children is sacred.

FAS are already having new trainees stay on current social welfare payments, so any cuts will apply immediately and will not have to wait until end of training, so that 'cut' is already in place.

berberie

Job seekers, dole etc most likely minimum 10% cut, might even make 15%.

Very unlikely child benefit will be touched, maybe it will, remember anything to do with women and children is sacred.

FAS are already having new trainees stay on current social welfare payments, so any cuts will apply immediately and will not have to wait until end of training, so that 'cut' is already in place.
Women and children sacred?? Child Benefit was cut in the last budget so Skinner how do you figure that women and children are sacred?

As for other's who suggest cutting lone mother's money, yes go and cut that and then look at children who suffer as a result (before you jump down my throat, I'm not a receiver, I work but I also believe we need to keep children above the poverty threshold). Also for those who mention lone mothers, remember there was only one immaculate conception. For each of these children there is a father out there who helped create this child yet does not feel the brunt of society's wrath for a) abandoning their child or b) not financially supporting the child.

Skinner

Women and children sacred?? Child Benefit was cut in the last budget so Skinner how do you figure that women and children are sacred?

As for other's who suggest cutting lone mother's money, yes go and cut that and then look at children who suffer as a result (before you jump down my throat, I'm not a receiver, I work but I also believe we need to keep children above the poverty threshold). Also for those who mention lone mothers, remember there was only one immaculate conception. For each of these children there is a father out there who helped create this child yet does not feel the brunt of society's wrath for a) abandoning their child or b) not financially supporting the child.
Feminist paradigm much?

It takes 2 to tango. Sorry to bust your bubble but...for women, having children is the best career choice available, either primarily or as a fallback.
Simple fact, its their choice, and if they cant make a dual parenting relationship work in the interests of both the child(ren) and both parents involved then its time to look in the mirror.

Back on topic, the cuts will be directed onto the perceived 'lazy scroungers' while the 800lb gorilla in the room (debt) will at all costs be subsidized.

Bridget558

Dan Bolye said a few weeks ago that welfare rates wouldnt be cut at all, but back then they thought the budget cuts would only be 3 billion

Gemlarkin

We can have as much unemployment as we are prepared to pay for

We can have as much unemployment as we are prepared to pay for.

Reduce the payments and the numbers will fall. We should use a system of emigration loans.

berberie

Feminist paradigm much?

It takes 2 to tango. Sorry to bust your bubble but...for women, having children is the best career choice available, either primarily or as a fallback.
Simple fact, its their choice, and if they cant make a dual parenting relationship work in the interests of both the child(ren) and both parents involved then its time to look in the mirror.

Back on topic, the cuts will be directed onto the perceived 'lazy scroungers' while the 800lb gorilla in the room (debt) will at all costs be subsidized.
Sorry Skinner but in no way was that a Feminist paradigm, you had mentioned women and children as being 'sacred' and someone else mentioned 'lone mother's' payments rather than lone parents so I was just answering both those and slightly object to it being called a paradigm just to throw light off the fact that I disagreed with you when I said that CB has already been cut in actual fact by approx 10%.

I am not being a feminist here, so I won't even deign to comment on your idea that it's a career choice on the part of women! What I will say is that I am interested in the welfare of children as they have no politcal voice so to speak of. Any cuts that effect a child who already happens to be living on a low income is a shame on our country!

Schomberg

whatever we do with social welfare, we need to put those recieving benefits long term back to some sort of community work. set up state run kindergartens, put them in there (supervised and after police background checks), put them to work in retirement homes helping and jobs like this. this will help to give them a boost, out doing something constructive and give back to society. if i ended up on the dole sitting at home all day would drive me crazy. after awhile I'm sure there are serious mental effects...

thenavigator

I agree with Schomberg, people who are on benefits need to "work for their dole" it works in Australia so why not in Ireland. 2 days per week doing community jobs. Now this would exclude possibly single mothers, the sick and elderly. Most people would be glad for the work and it would start to create communities again instead of people sitting in their houses 24hrs a day looking out the window.

berberie

Two points, why is it the people who caused all this trouble have so many loopholes and not pay the price the ordinary person on the street is having to pay, so too the government who not only allowed it to happen but also encouraged the bubble to grow till it burst.

And instead of negativity (we all know you can't tax/cut your way out of a recession) where are the ideas on how to turn this mess around ie build trust in this country again so people will invest in employment rather than leaving in their droves?

B

boo-boo

whatever we do with social welfare, we need to put those recieving benefits long term back to some sort of community work. set up state run kindergartens, put them in there (supervised and after police background checks), put them to work in retirement homes helping and jobs like this. this will help to give them a boost, out doing something constructive and give back to society. if i ended up on the dole sitting at home all day would drive me crazy. after awhile I'm sure there are serious mental effects...
Are you suggesting community work as a measure to sustain positive mental health or to increase people's labour market abilities. If the latter, it wont work! I dont know your knowledge of the community employment, but alot of these jobs are not relevant to the normal labour market and under present community employment scheme there are very low rates of transition from CE to open employment. The figure by Forfas was 44% to be exact.

Working in nursing homes etc. fine....but nowaday's people do need to be trained with formally recognised qualifications! And then again, why should a "for profit" business benefit from free labour....is that not exploitation? Most of these jobs are paid jobs, so give them that job as part of paid employment.

Any Labour activation programme that is being proposed will need to take full account of people's education, qualifications, previous occupation and level of abilities.

Indeed, we could alway's introduce a system of compulsory voluntary work in the community for every citizen of this state, so that everybody contributes in a meaningful way to the society in which they are living. Say 2 compulsory hours per week for every person who is of working age, and that's regardless of their economic activity status?:lol:

Schomberg

Are you suggesting community work as a measure to sustain positive mental health or to increase people's labour market abilities.
I didn't really have those sorts of reasons for it. As for the mental health issue, surly sitting at home day in day out will begin to wear someone down after awhile. At least getting up early, heading out to something constructive keeps you even somewhat sane. And you never know, people might find they enjoy that job and go away to get qualified to get more involved. And of course at the end of the day, it makes life more difficult for the people who've made a job of living off state benefits.

Working in nursing homes etc. fine....but nowaday's people do need to be trained with qualifications to work in these sectors! And then again, why should a for profit business benefit from free labour....is that not exploitation? Most of these jobs are paid jobs, so give them paid employment.
This is how it works in Scandinavia countries (and probably others, like Holland) from what I can gather. Trained professionals do the more sensitive work but they have helpers there. these are almost always long term unemployed or students on summer holiday. If it works elsewhere (and in countries who have far stronger labour laws than us) then why not here? Setting up state run kindergartens for example, that'll help single parents get back to work or employment whilst paying a very affordable childcare bill. It'll also put people in employment and it'll also be a place you could put long term unemployed in to help out. Like I said though, after background checks and so on.

I don't know..it's just an idea...if it works in other countries I can't see why we can't look into it.

seth lord

I didn't really have those sorts of reasons for it. As for the mental health issue, surly sitting at home day in day out will begin to wear someone down after awhile. At least getting up early, heading out to something constructive keeps you even somewhat sane. And you never know, people might find they enjoy that job and go away to get qualified to get more involved. And of course at the end of the day, it makes life more difficult for the people who've made a job of living off state benefits.

This is how it works in Scandinavia countries (and probably others, like Holland) from what I can gather. Trained professionals do the more sensitive work but they have helpers there. these are almost always long term unemployed or students on summer holiday. If it works elsewhere (and in countries who have far stronger labour laws than us) then why not here? Setting up state run kindergartens for example, that'll help single parents get back to work or employment whilst paying a very affordable childcare bill. It'll also put people in employment and it'll also be a place you could put long term unemployed in to help out. Like I said though, after background checks and so on.

I don't know..it's just an idea...if it works in other countries I can't see why we can't look into it.
Please be aware this is a bankrupt, corrupt backwater. Light years removed from the Scandinavian countries or the Netherlands.

Schomberg

Please be aware this is a bankrupt, corrupt backwater. Light years removed from the Scandinavian countries or the Netherlands.
tax increases that people see and feel a real benefit from they'll be happy enough to pay I'd (like to) think...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies