• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Social Welfare Recipients to pay property tax?

Neutron

Another own goal by the cowards in government.

Documents released to RTE under the freedom of information Act reveal the government have been discussing with Revenue on ways to deduct property tax payments from welfare payments.

Tonight on the Week In Politics Brian Hayes will also tell us that he thinks everyone should pay the property tax.

So much for protecting the vunerable Fine Gael and Labour!

Deducting the property tax at source from Social Protection payments has been discussed by high ranking civil servants, documents released to RTÉ's The Week in Politics have revealed.

Minutes of a meeting between officials say it poses a challenge to deliver this on time, and policies must be "resolved" to see how much can be deducted from payments.

In order to make the deduction, Revenue said it would need information from the Department of Social Protection's customer files.

More resources would also be required by the Department of Social Protection, the minutes, released under the Freedom of Information Act, state.

The matter was discussed when the Department of Social Protection and Revenue's "High Level Steering Group" met on 27 September. They are set to meet again on 13 December, after the Budget.
Property tax may be taken from social payments - RTÉ News

R3volution_R3ady

No one should pay this monstrosity, let alone people on welfare.

Crazy horse 6

Speechless. FG are going to sink this nation. They have really lost the plot.

sydney2007

How are the revenue going to know which Social Welfare recipients are liable to pay the Property Tax?

asset test

I think everyone should pay something, according to means, and I think there will be provision for that in the legislation. Hope so anyway.

And at the end of the day, we are talking about those who own their property. even if they are claiming SW.

I just hope that renters and LA tenants are also included. Otherwise it's a total joke.

But then again, despite CORI, or whatever they call themselves nowadays, the most vulnerable are the coping classes who may be on SW having lost their job recently.

kellboy

i think they're trying to badger as many people out of here as possible

Neutron

How are the revenue going to know which Social Welfare recipients are liable to pay the Property Tax?
According to Brian Hayes eveyrone should pay, so I gather its going to be deducted from Core Social Welfare payments for everyone. OAP, unemployed those renting etc.

The week in politics tonight is going to be worth a watch.

Crazy horse 6

Why should LA tenents or renters pay the charge. It's a home owners charge. Unless you own the home it's nothing to do with you.

True Republican

if social welfare recipients didn't have to pay this property tax it would be a disincentive to take up employment.

asset test

I predict a riot.
The SW recipients who have never worked will not have to pay, provided they don't own a property. Neither will those who rent, or are LA tenants.

But those who have worked their asses off, bought a house, and who now find themselves on the dole will have to pay.

I'm not sure if those people have the energy to riot. But I think they might.

Neutron

The SW recipients who have never worked will not have to pay, provided they don't own a property. Neither will those who rent, or are LA tenants.

But those who have worked their asses off, bought a house, and who now find themselves on the dole will have to pay.

Brian Hayes said tonight that everone who avails of local services should pay, thats everyone.

I dont think for one minute people who rent are going to be exempt.

niall78

i think they're trying to badger as many people out of here as possible
My thoughts exactly. The unemployed in the slightly older age group who bought a family home during the boom and are hanging on by their fingertips are now been kicked into emigration.

Ireland - the sow that eats her young.

sydney2007

"But then again, despite CORI, or whatever they call themselves nowadays, the most vulnerable are the coping classes who may be on SW having lost their job recently."

Or, indeed, the coping classes may well be the ones who haven't lost their jobs recently.

asset test

According to Brian Hayes eveyrone should pay, so I gather its going to be deducted from Core Social Welfare payments for everyone. OAP, unemployed those renting etc.

The week in politics tonight is going to be worth a watch.
Those renting. And Local Authority and Housing Association tenants do NOT have to pay.

But then again, they don't use local services I suppose.

Meanwhile, those in the dole who have purchased a house will have to pay it seems.

Wow.

True Republican

will budget 2013 be the budget that gets middle ireland out onto the streets?

Neutron

Those renting. And Local Authority and Housing Association tenants do NOT have to pay.

But then again, they don't use local services I suppose.

Meanwhile, those in the dole who have purchased a house will have to pay it seems.

Wow.
Where have you got this information from?

I cant see how Revenue are going to sort those who are unemployed that own a house from those who are unemployed who are renting.

As I have said many times, Brian Hayes wants everyone to pay, so I think that is clearly saying everyone will pay something including those who rent. I dont see any evidence to suggest otherwise.