Soft Brexit?

McSlaggart

"Here we near the sublime: Brexit could amount simply to Britain losing its influence in Brussels, giving up its voice – basically, surrendering its sovereignty without benefiting from any shared sovereignty to limit the coming economic disaster. That’s what’s called political and diplomatic suicide, especially when you remember the unique position the UK had managed to carve itself out in the EU and its influence in Brussels."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/15/britain-brexit-europe-populism-eu

Can anyone tell me what was the point of Brexit if its now going to be a soft one?

GDPR

"Here we near the sublime: Brexit could amount simply to Britain losing its influence in Brussels, giving up its voice – basically, surrendering its sovereignty without benefiting from any shared sovereignty to limit the coming economic disaster. That’s what’s called political and diplomatic suicide, especially when you remember the unique position the UK had managed to carve itself out in the EU and its influence in Brussels."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/15/britain-brexit-europe-populism-eu

Can anyone tell me what was the point of Brexit if its now going to be a soft one?
There is no point, just that Theresa May wants to get the immigration down. The whole Brexit thing is a disaster. I do hope the Poms in charge quickly see the light and retract Article 50 before GB loses more of its industry to other EU countries.

McSlaggart

There is no point, just that Theresa May wants to get the immigration down. The whole Brexit thing is a disaster. I do hope the Poms in charge quickly see the light and retract Article 50 before GB loses more of its industry to other EU countries.
Its a pity for the British that no one explained to them what would happen if someone like Emmanuel Macron got into power in France after they voted to get out of the EU.

McSlaggart

When people just lazily post pictures, you know the thread is moving in the direction of pointlessness.

Time will tell.
That picture is the team of people who will be in the corner for the UK. Take your pick as to who should be the point person for the negotiations.

Surkov

That picture is the team of people who will be in the corner for the UK. Take your pick as to who should be the point person for the negotiations.
Versus juncker the drunker:

[video=youtube;XPgiI46FCDU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPgiI46FCDU[/video]

Mitsui2

Given that much of what its advocates promised in advance of the referendum was clearly never going to happen, I couldn't ever have told you what the point of it was, full stop.

PBP voter

It's not going to be soft if the Tories want DUp support.

They want to leave the customs union and the single market. They also want a huge clamp down on immigration.

Why do the Oirish government think it will be soft because of the DUP? :confused:

McSlaggart

Versus juncker the drunker:

Do you honestly think it makes any difference how often Juncker gets drunk?

"However, May started the two-year Brexit countdown at the end of March and so far achieved only two things – wasting three out of about 18 months we have to close the deal before it heads to national parliaments for approval, and significantly weakening the British position.

May wanted the snap election to strengthen the Conservative majority, since her original majority of 17 votes was not enough to get many key things through the parliament.

And Europe hoped a stronger majority would liberate May from the choke-hold of the Tory Brextremist MPs, and enable her to agree to a deal that makes sense for both sides.

Instead, we will negotiate with a weak government that must rely on extreme partners and where basically every government MP holds a veto, thus reducing the trustworthiness of the British negotiators to almost zero.

Whatever the British negotiators claim, there is simply no guarantee that any agreement will be passed by the current UK parliament.

Unless there is a new election this fall that brings about a government with a reasonable majority, the risk of "no deal" scenario will increase immensely.

And, if there is no deal, Britain will simply tumble out of the EU in March 2019."

https://euobserver.com/opinion/138238

Surkov

Do you honestly think it makes any difference how often Juncker gets drunk?
If you turned up at your workplace drunk or off your head on drugs, what would happen to you? What would happen to your career?

gatsbygirl20

It's not going to be soft if the Tories want DUp support.

They want to leave the customs union and the single market. They also want a huge clamp down on immigration.

Why do the Oirish government think it will be soft because of the DUP? :confused:

I must say I did not realise that the DUP wanted a soft border-- as is now being said in all media since the deal to prop up the Tories was mooted.

The reason given being economic. But surely if they cared solely about the economic state of the province they would have voted Remain.? ( I'm presuming that most unionists voted Leave, despite overall Remain result.)

I always understood that the unionists wanted out, wanted a hard border with the South, keeping their distance from us.

But not so, it seems.

shiel

The English voted to tear up the treaties they signed with 27 other countries and the Good Friday Agreement they signed with this country for racist reasons.

I still think despite the result of the general election that negotiations will break down very soon after starting about money and a hard brexit on the world trade rules will ensue.

Not a good result.

GDPR

13% of negotiation time gone
No unified Gov Brexit approach
Public mood changing
UK economy tanks as EU booms
Tories own the mess

gatsbygirl20

The EU sent its position papers to the UK 4 days ago so that negotiations can start on Monday.

No position paper has been sent by the UK. Nothing. Zilch. Not a dickie bird.

The awful truth must be dawning.

I had a student once who kept promising me a wonderful piece of writing which had to be submitted to a deadline for a TY literature competition. He kept forgetting to submit it--or he was still fiddling with it, proofing it, etc. I asked the judging body to be patient. It would be worth it in the end.

One day I realised that this wonderful creative piece was a total figment of his imagination, as the terrible truth dawned that it was all some fairy story built on sand.

There are no position papers. There is no plan. Nobody knows anything. There are probably no civil servants to put stuff together ( offices have been rented out at Westminster to private companies as civil servants have jumped ship or not been replaced )

The fear is that nothing of any real substance has been done about Brexit because nobody knows what to do.

GDPR

I must say I did not realise that the DUP wanted a soft border-- as is now being said in all media since the deal to prop up the Tories was mooted.

The reason given being economic. But surely if they cared solely about the economic state of the province they would have voted Remain.? ( I'm presuming that most unionists voted Leave, despite overall Remain result.)

I always understood that the unionists wanted out, wanted a hard border with the South, keeping their distance from us.

But not so, it seems.
They want a soft border as regards Ireland which is ironic because part of the reason for their formation was opposition to O'Neill trying to create one back in the day.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies