Solar eclipse USA 21.8.2017. Does anyone remember the eclipse in Ireland 1999?

asset test

I see that the USA is going bananas due to the total eclipse on Monday.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/

According to reports Ireland may see a partial eclipse in the evening, weather permitting as usual.

It is a spectacular event. I remember the 1999 one. Was working near St. Stephen's Green at the time, and we went out to the Green with our eye protectors at about 11am (if memory serves, well it was around tea break time!), and it was very eerie altogether.

The place got very dark, obviously, and the birds stopped singing. I won't forget it.

Does anyone else remember that day?

D

Deleted member 17573

I see that the USA is going bananas due to the total eclipse on Monday.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/

According to reports Ireland may see a partial eclipse in the evening, weather permitting as usual.

It is a spectacular event. I remember the 1999 one. Was working near St. Stephen's Green at the time, and we went out to the Green with our eye protectors at about 11am (if memory serves, well it was around tea break time!), and it was very eerie altogether.

The place got very dark, obviously, and the birds stopped singing. I won't forget it.

Does anyone else remember that day?
Remember it well - it got a bit eerie actually, not so much from the darkening as from the total hush, it was as if the world had fallen silent.

asset test

Looking forward to Monday.
If you are in the US roughly what part if you don't mind revealing?

And if you have a camera and take some pics, would you post them here too?

Sorry, none of my business. I suppose NASA will update their site anyway.

Lucky you though!.

Wascurito

I was on holidays in Belgium at the time and, with a few friends, we drove down to a spot just north of Paris to see the full eclipse.

Unfortunately, it was cloudy and all we experienced was the brief period of dusk and a surprisingly sharp drop in the temperature.

asset test

I was on holidays in Belgium at the time and, with a few friends, we drove down to a spot just north of Paris to see the full eclipse.

Unfortunately, it was cloudy and all we experienced was the brief period of dusk and a surprisingly sharp drop in the temperature.
Yes the weather in Europe in the best spots was disappointingly dull that day.

From memory it was slightly overcast in Dublin too, but not so bad that we didn't see it happening. Was very weird. The silence and the darkness mid morning in the Summer. I remember vividly all the warnings about looking straight at the sun, but we had those eye defender things.

eoghanacht

I do, it was a cracking day weather wise, meself and an auld builder from Mayo the only two in site watched it happening in a puddle of water we created near the mixer.

eoghanacht

I fear there will be a spate of suicides by end time nutters.

The building where I worked had smoked glass windows in the stairwells, so we could gaze directly on it. I wandered outside and enjoyed the peace.

eoghanacht

Especially with all that's going on in the States. The Donald Eclipse.
I'm telling ye, I saw some clickbait headline that made me think of that nutter runtothehills who used to post here.

Pure unadulterated horse ************************e but you know there's heaps of eejits out there.

D

Deleted member 17573

OOOOOoooooooooops ... oh! my dates must be wrong ... anyway how do expect me to remember that far back? :shock:
:D
I remember Sputnik clearly, down to exactly where I was standing watching it pass over - and we had a fair understanding of what it was, contrary to the perception of the 50s that prevails on P.ie.

Analyzer

It was a massive anti climax. Loads of media hype. And over in less than 10 minutes.

D

Deleted member 48908

If you are in the US roughly what part if you don't mind revealing?

And if you have a camera and take some pics, would you post them here too?

Sorry, none of my business. I suppose NASA will update their site anyway.

Lucky you though!.
I'm on the Emerald Coast. About 80% obscurity they say.

D

Deleted member 17573

It was a massive anti climax. Loads of media hype. And over in less than 10 minutes.
Even back in those days you were obviously not easily impressed:D anyway, enough, or they'll all think we're a bunch of auld fellas!

cabledude

Remember it well. I was working in the dispatch department of a company in Waterford. We were all on our tea break and headed outside. We had some welding goggles to look through. Like other posters, the eerieness of it all is what I remember.

It reminded me of the scene from Independence Day where the alien spacecraft blocked out the sun.

Dan_Murphy

I think I still have a set of the special glasses somewhere.

The comet Hale-Bopp I can remember very clearly, that was an amazing sight.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies