Solar panel grants (again)

McTell

Twitter
No
Problem was, you could buy the panels and all the gubbins on alibaba and put them up - with no grant.

Or pay a guy in a small van to do the same job, costing a lot more, with a grant.

Trial and error worked for me, ending with a call for someone to please come and cut off the mains. Frightening moment but that is the price of true independence.

Thinking is, if you have 10,000 in the bank, what is it earning? 50-100 pa? Put the 10k into panels and save hundreds pa, and don't pay PSO and VAT.

Grant-aided scheme for solar panels announced - Agriland

Current payback on finance for PV solar installations is between seven and eight years, the organisation has said.

However, with sufficient Government support, MREF believes homes and businesses should be able to reduce this to below five years – the minimum required to support microgeneration and much wider participation in the renewables revolution.

MREF explained that it has sought a fixed grant of €500/kWp for homes and €400/kWp for commercial premises – targeted initially for self-consumption.

Socratus O' Pericles

If I told missis o'p I was thinking of installing solar panels by myself on/at the house it'd be the divorce courts toot sweet.

Also farmers getting a grant for stuff they can easily afford? Surely not!

jmcc

So you have no network supplied electricity and are completely dependent on solar and storage?

Last edited:

McTell

Twitter
No
If I told missis o'p I was thinking of installing solar panels by myself on/at the house it'd be the divorce courts toot sweet.

Also farmers getting a grant for stuff they can easily afford? Surely not!

You could put a few cows or goats on a treadmill to drive a genny, but they kept on going sideways...

Trainwreck

Problem was, you could buy the panels and all the gubbins on alibaba and put them up - with no grant.

Or pay a guy in a small van to do the same job, costing a lot more, with a grant.

Trial and error worked for me, ending with a call for someone to please come and cut off the mains. Frightening moment but that is the price of true independence.

Thinking is, if you have 10,000 in the bank, what is it earning? 50-100 pa? Put the 10k into panels and save hundreds pa, and don't pay PSO and VAT.

Grant-aided scheme for solar panels announced - Agriland

Current payback on finance for PV solar installations is between seven and eight years, the organisation has said.

However, with sufficient Government support, MREF believes homes and businesses should be able to reduce this to below five years – the minimum required to support microgeneration and much wider participation in the renewables revolution.

MREF explained that it has sought a fixed grant of €500/kWp for homes and €400/kWp for commercial premises – targeted initially for self-consumption.
But in 10 years you will still have 10,000 in the bank. Your panels will be scrap value. You failed to factor that in

Analyzer

Excellent idea.....for a country, where the energy need is greatest in winter evenings, after the sun goes down early.

To say nothing about the level of cloud cover.

Wind power does make sense when we have so much wind, but solar panels are an expensive toy.

former wesleyan

Friends in Scotland have several solar pannels installed and sell the electricity back to the Electricity company. They're practically on free power.

Mushroom

Friends in Scotland have several solar pannels installed and sell the electricity back to the Electricity company. They're practically on free power.
That's the missing piece in the Irish jigsaw. Earlier this year I was going to install them on my acre, but I can't sell my surplus to the national grid and the cost of storing electricity onsite until I need it is very high

good dog

Scotland subsided panels. Biggest problem there is the short days in winter time.

Are Germany making solar panels, telling their local governments in the likes of Ireland to subside the panels should increase sales.

Mushroom

Are Germany making solar panels, telling their local governments in the likes of Ireland to subside the panels should increase sales.
Nope. They're mainly coming from China.

Although if you stand on your head, shove some baking soda up your nose and twirl around anti-clockwise 16 times, you'll probably find some way of blaming the Germans.

McTell

Twitter
No
Scotland subsided panels. Biggest problem there is the short days in winter time.

Shouldn't we have been churning them out over the recession? No brainer.

But no, the grid system wanted a few big green grant-aided power suppliers, not thousands of little guys.

McTell

Twitter
No
But in 10 years you will still have 10,000 in the bank. Your panels will be scrap value. You failed to factor that in

Maybe so, but in 10 years i may be scrap value.

LooseCannon

Make that 20 years
The PV panels get less efficient over time but don't go down to zero

The improvement in PV has been very impressive - costs halved over past 10 years and generation increasing

The missing magic bullet is cheap energy storage

Clanrickard

Excellent idea.....for a country, where the energy need is greatest in winter evenings, after the sun goes down early.

To say nothing about the level of cloud cover.

Wind power does make sense when we have so much wind, but solar panels are an expensive toy.
Modern panels work on daylight. They work even when it is cloudy. There are also panels that work in the dark.

Gin Soaked

We have solar for hot water. Is there much point in PV if you are very tight on space?

Not much south facing roof left..

wexfordman

Nope. They're mainly coming from China.

Although if you stand on your head, shove some baking soda up your nose and twirl around anti-clockwise 16 times, you'll probably find some way of blaming the Germans.
I tried that, it didn't work, although I didn't have baking soda, so I used Epsom salts, but still have no anomosity towards the Germans. The Finn's however, shower of wonkers, can't stand em anymore.

McTell

Twitter
No
SEAI's pages are a bit behind on this still. Big still seen as better.

https://www.seai.ie/sustainable-solutions/renewable-energy/solar-energy/electricity-from-solar/

https://www.seai.ie/grants/community-grants/

https://www.seai.ie/energy-in-business/accelerated-capital-allowance/

SEAI, please visualise a 3-bed semi, with 2 adults and 2.4 kids, what they use on average, what a roof covered with PV will give them, and not least what it will cost.

Then apply the cost to average /median income(s), the tax thereon, the tax allowances, and people can work out if it's a flyer.

It's out there, but not on SEAI's page. Get with the consumer guys, he is paying your salary.

Home Renovation Incentive

New Threads

Most Replies