Solar panel grants (again)

riven

Correct me if I am wrong but I read what he is saying as:
'Cloud cover does affect power generation but to a less extent as to what a warm (over 30 degrees?) direct sunlight does.'

Now I never worked in a photovoltaic factory but I did do summer placement with an installation company many years ago. And was lead to believe a similar thing to what he is saying. Hot temperatures are bad for power generation in PV?
The power current curve shifts due to temperature, and yes not in a positive way as the temperature increases. However as this article explains probably better than previous links
https://www.thegreenage.co.uk/article/the-impact-of-temperature-on-solar-panels/

Solar panels are power tested at 25C, so the temperature coefficient percentage illustrates the change in efficiency as it goes up or down by a degree. For example if the temperature coefficient of a particular type of panel is -0.5%, then for every 10C rise, the panels maximum power will reduce by 0.5%.

So on a hot day, when panel temperatures may reach 45C, a panel with a temperature coefficient of -0.5% would result in a maximum power output reduction of 10%. Conversely, if it was a sunny winter’s morning, the panels will actually be more efficient.
A 10% reduction is not great (and I would suggest that this is an extreme value, more modern versions have lower temperature coefficients) but cloud cover, even temporary, can result in dramatic drops greater than 25% as indicated by the data I posted. day

riven

If you have data showing pharma fallout is as dangerous as nuclear fall out, by all means share.
Erm you are the one suggesting the danger so that is for you to prove.

In any case the safety reports for such plants are in the public domain and while they do not cover the eventuality of terrorist attacks, their standard safety cases do account of off site deaths.

As I said, you have to way the risks contextually. The likelihood being remote is almost secondary. The risk of total annihilation, which I don't believe is an over reaction given the size of our Island, is there. That's the risk you need to weigh.[/qoute]

How does bombing a nuclear power plant result in annihilation? I could bomb the
water supply
the steam system
the control room
the demin plant
the engineering block
etc

all significant parts of the plant ad get no radioactive release.

Please do post your plans for bombing such a facility.

McTell

Twitter
No
Erm you are the one suggesting the danger so that is for you to prove.///.

Let's stick with the advice of Professor J. Frank Parnell

[video=youtube;3VKzqAefBVY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VKzqAefBVY[/video]

valamhic

Ireland's wind farms are producing little electricity for the past 7 weeks. It means wind companies will make nothing this year. They will make losses and try to sell their turbines with no success.

Readers might ask, why not use solar plants to produce electricity during the good weather. Their is still no power at night, but the cost of installation is equal to the cost of fossil fuel fired plant. At best they will used sunlight for daytime hours for at best 4 months a year = 2 months. One sixth. They cannot survive financially with that percentage and Ireland cannot turn off fossil fuel plant at any time because it takes 9 hours to start si]uch plant up.

Dame_Enda

Saw an anti solar campaign poster the other day. Not sure how representative it is.

I think global warming offers new opportunities for growth in solar energy.

Cruimh

More and more of these solar farms - draining energy from the sun - a non-renewable resource.

On the upside, could it reverse so-called 'global warming'?
Global Warming is caused by Hell* - and as less and less things are being made sinful by Pope Francis, should ease off....

* How is hell powered? Is it fossil fuel? or a renewable source?

valamhic

Global Warming is caused by Hell* - and as less and less things are being made sinful by Pope Francis, should ease off....

* How is hell powered? Is it fossil fuel? or a renewable source?
Apparently Hell is powered by embers. Coal was not discovered until hundreds of years after Christ and the scriptures but there was a practice of burning people to death. They had timber and oils from animals. So how could coal be used now. A more important question is are there co2 emissions fro, hell?

hollandia

Apparently Hell is powered by embers. Coal was not discovered until hundreds of years after Christ and the scriptures but there was a practice of burning people to death. They had timber and oils from animals. So how could coal be used now. A more important question is are there co2 emissions fro, hell?
There are certainly plentiful emissions.

de knowledge economy

Work out the present value of the money generated each year for the next 3 years and if it greater than the cost of installation it is worth looking at. Then there is risk of doing/not doing. I would be skeptical about any domestic 'energy saving' project from a purely financial point of view. I think energy conservation by living a simpler lifestyle and limiting population is the way to go environmentally, not that that will ever happen

McTell

Twitter
No
Work out the present value of the money generated each year for the next 3 years //

Or over 3 years. Supposing you have 10,000 in the bank, it will earn you 50 p.a. interest? Or less.

If your bills are (say) 1,500 p.a. that's a lot more than 50. Spend the 10k on panels and what you save is the interest.

It's a great feeling, these are my electons, this is a new intimate partnership between me and the sun, and the rest of the world can stuff its hi-voltage whatevers.

valamhic

There are now solar powered electric fences for farms. A battery costs 25 euros. It might be a money saver in the long term.

New Threads

Most Replies