• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Some ''Downturn'' - 2,600 Jobs to be Created by Glanbia and Upgrading Roads!

ruserious

Well, in an ironic attempt to highlight the absurdity of the ''Some Recovery'' threads, some good news today.

1600 jobs to be created by Glanbia in Kilkenny.
Job boost for Kilkenny as Glanbia set to create 1,600 positions | Irish Examiner

There will be a further 1000 jobs created in upgrading the N11 and N7 and, the best part is, they will be toll free.
Over 1,000 jobs to be created in roads upgrade - RTÉ News

We are in a far different place to where we were in December 2010 and I think it is time to recognise that.

Ren84

Good news. 1000 jobs created in major roads upgrade

Some further good news announced with thee government finally signing contracts for the upgrade of Newland's Cross and the M11 motorway.

Over 1,000 construction jobs will be created in the next two years as part of a major upgrade of the N11 and N7 road networks.

BAM Contractors today signed a public-private partnership contract worth €282m with the National Roads Authority on behalf of the Department of Transport.

The project will see BAM design and build a new freeflow junction at Newlands Cross on the N7 and carry out several works on the N11.

There will not be any tolls on the new sections of road that they are constructing.

As part of the deal signed, they will be responsible for the operation and maintenance of the road sections for 25 years.
The new junction at Newlands Cross will enable motorists to drive from the south to the north of the country without hitting any traffic lights.

The works on the N11 include the construction of a 16km dual carriageway linking the end of the Arklow bypass with the end of the Ashford bypass, as well as two new interchanges at the Beehive junction and at Jack White's crossroads.
A service area will also be built at Ballyellin on the Gorey bypass.

Construction on the projects is expected to begin in May.
More: Over 1,000 jobs to be created in roads upgrade - RTÉ News

The Newlands X junction is a nightmare so the sooner it is finished the better it will be for Ireland's motorists. And with this and the N40 free flow junctions being currently built in Cork it will soon be a case of being able to drive non-stop from the west side of Cork City all the way to the Sprucefield junction near Belfast.

Dancing banana time

Cato

i could be a similar situation as regards the n7 and the n11 except from a different country.
BAM Contractors (an Irish subsidiary of a Dutch company) have the contract.

PUFF DADDY

Well we emailed him indoors CV to BMA Contractors today as soon as we heard about the N7 job, expect they could be supplied through agencies, but await and see...

onlyasking

Well, in an ironic attempt to highlight the absurdity of the ''Some Recovery'' threads, some good news today.

Job boost for Kilkenny as Glanbia set to create 1,600 positions | Irish Examiner

There will be a further 1000 jobs created in upgrading the N11 and N7 and, the best part is, they will be toll free.

We are in a far different place to where we were in December 2010 and I think it is time to recognise that.
Explain to me how you know there's going to be 1,600 jobs "created" in Kilkenny.

As for us being "in a far different place to where we were in December 2010", has the number of unemployed people fallen dramatically, and have we had no emigration.

I'd love an improvement in the economy. I've one kid in uni and another one due to start. The last thing I want is for them to join the youth-rush out of what they see as a basket-case.

What has got you so chipper all of a sudden?

devoutcapitalist

I wonder how many Irish are working construction jobs in Canada/Australia? Should we demand they return?
of course not, i was making the point that it is quite possible that the majority of people employed on these road schemes could be foreign, even if the contractor is irish.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Why don't we set ourselves up as the abortion hub of Europe?

We could use Aer Lingus as the national carrier and all flights would terminate within a short distance of a giant death clinic (not to be confused with giant debt clinic which the entire 26 counties have become).

Naming rights to the death clinic could be sold. Perhaps Black and Decker or Dyson would be interested?

Aer Lingus could offer 'fly to die' specials.

Time to don the green scrubs, for Ireland.

Ren84

Well we emailed him indoors CV to BMA Contractors today as soon as we heard about the N7 job, expect they could be supplied through agencies, but await and see...
Hopefully this contract will give some much needed work to local lads out of work.

TheWexfordInn

Last year the part of the N25 near me was worked on and the road crew were all from England.
After all of the decades that Irish people spent building the motorways of the UK there is something ironic about hearing of English people working on Irelands roads.

ruserious

Explain to me how you know there's going to be 1,600 jobs "created" in Kilkenny.

As for us being "in a far different place to where we were in December 2010", has the number of unemployed people fallen dramatically, and have we had no emigration.

I'd love an improvement in the economy. I've one kid in uni and another one due to start. The last thing I want is for them to join the youth-rush out of what they see as a basket-case.

What has got you so chipper all of a sudden?

Because in Dec 10, I felt as though we were rapidly descending a ladder. While I disagree with much of current government eco-fin policy, it seems we are climbing the ladder once more. True, many obstacles remain but as I like to say, An Obstacle is but an Invitation to Achieve!

Clanrickard

Not much different if you are one of the unemployed.

greengoose2

Spare me the hubris! Analyse the figures and we can discuss. For starters, the road project is to be completed in 28 months time.

The N11 works will be completed within 28 months and it is planned that the new section of the N7 will be completed within 21 months
How many will be employed all at the same time? What sort of labour will be used?

As for the Glanbia spin:

The company said it will employ 76 staff directly at the plant with another 1,676 jobs created indirectly on farms, suppliers and maintenance.
Some 450 construction workers will be employed during the build.
Construction on the new factory will start on May 17 and it is expected to begin production in spring 2015.
Some 450, what exactly does that mean? Those jobs will be over a two year period.

Enda and co need some good news it seems. Trouble at mill...

Cato

Not much different if you are one of the unemployed.
Well it will if you get one of the jobs. I'm not that optimistic at the moment about the economic outlook for this year but you still have welcome news like this (while wondering when will all these jobs actually come online).

Crazy horse 6

Ireland is a worse place than December 2010 and anyone saying different is living in a f u c k I n box.

meriwether

Spare me the hubris! Analyse the figures and we can discuss. For starters, the road project is to be completed in 28 months time.

How many will be employed all at the same time? What sort of labour will be used?

As for the Glanbia spin:

Some 450, what exactly does that mean? Those jobs will be over a two year period.

Enda and co need some good news it seems. Trouble at mill...
I'm not seeing what new news you have produced as part of your 'analysis'.

Maybe someone will get beaten up in Kilkenny over the weekend, and you can post that report too?