Some Good News For The Catholic Church. Clerical Child Sex Abuse Is Now Statistically Negligible.

TruthInTheNews

Some good news for the Catholic Church. Clerical child sex abuse is now statistically negligible.

For example in 2014 only 3 out of 170 historical child sex abuse allegations were made against clerics and the complainants were adults. I cannot find any cases of clerical child sex abuse committed during the last 10 years.

It is interesting to note that the RCC has not changed any of its core beliefs or practices such as mandatory celibacy for priests so one would assume that there is no link between celibacy and child sex abuse.

“66% of all reported sex crimes in Ireland involve a child victim. Of those, 44% of perpetrators are family members, 25% neighbours or family acquaintances and 14% strangers. Clerical sex abuse is now statistically negligible.”

https://avondhupress.ie/no-country-for-small-children/

The Garda report is here: opac.oireachtas.ie/AWData/Library3/JUQdoclaid270218_150510.pdf

Spirit Of Newgrange

the Catholic Clergy are now such a busted flush that nobody cares what they say anymore.
Hundreds of years of abuse and all out in the open now.

we are now more concerned by the next wave of Paedo monsters. Also followers of a nutty fundamentalist religion, just slightly different attitudes to food & drink.

silverharp

at least under the last regime it was just giving up chocolate for 40 days , this sun up to sun down malarkey will take getting used to and giving up pork, oy vey!

Morgellons

at least under the last regime it was just giving up chocolate for 40 days , this sun up to sun down malarkey will take getting used to and giving up pork, oy vey!
You can have uo to FOUR wives though-great!

Or is it:?

benroe

I doubt there is a parent alive that would intentionally leave their child alone with a priest, and rightly so.

Fritzbox

Would you be as trusting of some random man who wasn't a priest?
That's my point - I would leave my child (I don't have any children) in the care of any person if I had reasons to trust them, regardless of their profession. Why would I single out members of the clergy (catholic?) in such a negative light?

Spirit Of Newgrange

a priest told me that if he walks the streets in his uniform, he is regularly verbally abused.

2018 is very different to 1958 when they got to travel free on the buses.

petaljam

That's my point - I would leave my child (I don't have any children) in the care of any person if I had reasons to trust them, regardless of their profession. Why would I single out members of the clergy (catholic?) in such a negative light?
Because of the history of active complicity from the hierarchy in known child abuse cases.
And because unlike child minders etc they have not been vetted by any outside authority.

GDPR

I doubt there is a parent alive that would intentionally leave their child alone with a priest, and rightly so.
If someone said on here "I doubt there is a parent alive that would intentionally leave their child alone with a male homosexual, and rightly so" that poster would most likely get perma-banned and "Deadlock" would most certainly would not have thanked the post, and yet the vast majority of the sexual abusive Priests have been what? I wouldn't leave my child alone with a Priest who had been formed in Maynooth that is for sure- but when he was visiting us here we did leave a Priest from the Middle East who I'm very close to with the kids without even thinking about it.

benroe

Have you been living under a rock?, have you not seen the disgraceful way the church has treated the children in its care, have you forgotten how many people would be living normal lives today and would not have been raped as children if the church had a single shred of decency.

Fritzbox

Because of the history of active complicity from the hierarchy in known child abuse cases.
And because unlike child minders etc they have not been vetted by any outside authority.
In which case I wouldn't leave any potential child in the care of any employee of the BBC (see Jimmy Saville) would I, going by that standard. It wasn't just the RC church which turned a blind eye, was it?

petaljam

If someone said on here "I doubt there is a parent alive that would intentionally leave their child alone with a male homosexual, and rightly so" that poster would most likely get perma-banned and "Deadlock" would most certainly would not have thanked the post, and yet the vast majority of the sexual abusive Priests have been what? I wouldn't leave my child alone with a Priest who had been formed in Maynooth that is for sure- but when he was visiting us here we did leave a Priest from the Middle East who I'm very close to with the kids without even thinking about it.
These children of yours do seem to be of rather elastic ages. At what age is it reasonable to leave an unrelated adult who is not a babysitter/childminder, nor even a parent themselves, in charge of babies or small children?

(I'm not talking about child abuse here, just the fact of expecting unrelated outsiders to take responsiblity for small children except in an emergency. Oh and where was their nanny?)

enuffisenuff

In other news I drove my car today without speeding or running someone over...

petaljam

In which case I wouldn't leave any potential child in the care of any employee of the BBC (see Jimmy Saville) would I, going by that standard. It wasn't just the RC church which turned a blind eye, was it?
Damn right but so what? The OP was about why clerical child abuse levels had fallen to such low levels - the main factor is almost certainly that no sensible parent would now trust a priest the way they would have thirty years ago.

Fritzbox

Have you been living under a rock?, have you not seen the disgraceful way the church has treated the children in its care, have you forgotten how many people would be living normal lives today and would not have been raped as children if the church had a single shred of decency.
What has that got to do with individual members of the clergy today? I think the Irish Police force, like the Police forces of other countries, has behaved disgracefully in the past and continues to do so in the present, but I can still trust individual members of the Garda Siochana in most situations. Same goes for Irish school teachers, many of whom were in the past nothing more than violent psychopaths in disguise - but there are a few maths teachers who I would trust the safety of a child with today.

New Threads

Most Replies