• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Some Historical World Cup/Soccer Questions?

Passionateheart

1. Was that Russian linesman who gave that non goal to England against West Germany really a soldier at Stallingrad?
2. Did the ref in the Fascist Italy 1934 final really head the ball onto an Italian player to score?
3. Why did Cruyff not play in '78. Rumour has it, he had been kidnapped in Argentina previously?
4. Was there any tournament scheduled though obviously not played for 1942, I think the olympics for 1940 and 1944 had been awarded, I don't know where?
5. Did the Republic accept and reject a free place in the 1950 finals?
6. How bad was Videllas regime in Argentina, 1978?
7. Has the bribery allegation in the 6-0 Argentina V Peru game been proven in 1978.
8. According to the 'Talking History' programme on soccer recently, Scotland were superb in the 20s and 30s and if they competed in the 20s and 30s in a world cup would now have about 4 titles- comment!
9. How good was the Wunderteam of Austria before enforced union in the Greater Reich?
10. Were as has been suggested, The Argentinian teams of the 40s as good as Brazil 1970, but due to having no world cups to play in just developed by the 50s into the most cynical imaginable!
11. My favourite of all time Brazil'82 where are those lads now? Did socrates play in ireland?
12. When did Pele play here? Did Cruyff or Puskas ever play here?
13. The miracle of Bern'54 - Did the Germans switch studs, were they taking 'smarties' and was Puskas' goal really offside?
14. How badly treated was that returning Hungarian team?
15. How badly treated was the returning North Korean team of '66?

Sancho

Great questions and am looking forward to reading answers from more informed posters. As for:

7. Has the bribery allegation in the 6-0 Argentina V Peru game been proven in 1978.

I read a Sunday Times article sometime in the 80s about drug use by the Argentina team. A doctor was saying he was pleading with one player in particular to stop popping pills before matches. There was a quote from a Peruvian player that Argentina seemed like crazed animals in the game, and the suggestion was that some of them were high as kites.

Can't confirm the strong claims for bribery.

sorry not to be of more use ...

Asparagus

3 - Cruyff recently told reporters that he was targetted for kidnapping while in Barcelona - he retired from international football because he wasn't right in the head afterwards

apoch632

4. Was there any tournament scheduled though obviously not played for 1942, I think the olympics for 1940 and 1944 had been awarded, I don't know where?
Brazil and Germany wanted to host but no host was decided

Toyko and London were supposed to hsot the 1940 and 1944 Olympics

3. Why did Cruyff not play in '78. Rumour has it, he had been kidnapped in Argentina previously?
He retired from football the previous year after some people in barcelona had threatened to kidnap his family
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/apr/16/newsstory.sport15

Last edited:

Banshee

True or False...Germany wear Green because Ireland were the first team to play them after World War II? (ps. I know the answer!)

apoch632

True or False...Germany wear Green because Ireland were the first team to play them after World War II? (ps. I know the answer!)
False
They played Switzerland and a few others before they played Ireland

Green is/was the colours of Saxony and the German FA no

Banshee

The very first question is flawed - the linesman was NOT Russian.

(c.) P.ie
Yeah correct! but "Russia" was synonomous with USSR until relatively recently. The linesman was from Azerbaijan and I think the REF was Belgian?

ps True or False...Germany wear Green because Ireland were the first team to play them after World War II? (ps. I know the answer!)

Walter Tirel

1. Tofik Bakhramov was from Azerbaijan, not Russia. On his deathbed he was asked about the Hurst 'goal'. He replied 'Stalingrad'.
2. I think what was more suspect was their Quarter-Final match and replay with Spain. I can not remember exactly what it was, I will need to see what I can dig up on this.

5. Ireland were offered a place in the World Cup after Scotland withdrew. The FAI thought it would cost too much to send a team there.

7. Nothing proven. I remember a claim that the day after the match that Peru were 'paid'. Nothing concrete.

11. Socrates did not play in Ireland. This is a myth.
13. They switched studs. This offside goal of Puskas has been often mentioned, but no-one seems to have a replay of this.
14. Goalkeeper Grosics got most of the blame

apoch632

Which Ireland team because both the FAI and IFA called the team Ireland then

The whole Republic Of Ireland, Northern Ireland thing came later cause FIFA wanted to clarify it

new jewell

Yeah correct! but "Russia" was synonomous with USSR until relatively recently. The linesman was from Azerbaijan and I think the REF was Belgian?

ps True or False...Germany wear Green because Ireland were the first team to play them after World War II? (ps. I know the answer!)
Well whats the answer true /false

Walter Tirel

The Republic of Ireland. The FAI were approached.
The issue of the IFA and FAI both calling their respective teams 'Ireland' was resolved by then.
(I noticed in the 1994 and 2002 World Cups that the Republic of Ireland team were referred to as just 'Ireland' in official use by FIFA.)

Rocky

That wasn't resolved till 53
Was it not that the Republic of Ireland was called Eire and that Northern Ireland was called Northern Ireland.

My understanding and someone can correct me on this is that Northern Ireland was always called Northern Ireland and the Republic of Irish was called the Irish Free State until 1937 and then Eire from 1937 to 1953 and then Republic of Ireland after that.

apoch632

No until 1953 both the IFA and FAI called their teams Ireland and claimed jurisdiction over football on the whole island. FIFA had to step in to resolve it

physicist

On the Austrian team I knew they were good enough to be semifinalists with Germany in the previous World Cup before unity. But after withdrawing when they joined Germany, the combined team lost a replay that the previous Germany had earned on the following World Cup.Incidentally against Switzerland in the World Cup that followed both sides being semifinalists.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
I have to dash, but on question one you have made a mistake, their was no non goal. Do not fall for the German conspiracy theories! :)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__MJV11nRqU]YouTube - World Cup 1966 - Goal by Geoff Hurst - In or Out?[/ame]

Here we see the goal, first in real time then slowed down.
Pray tell us a time in the attached video when the ball is over the line.

Passionateheart

On the Peruvians being bribed prior to the '78 encounter, Quieroga, the Peruvian keeper was Argentinian born and I don't think he ever went home, and Vidella promised the Peruvian government massive aid, they had suffered huge earthquakes! I have heard The Magnificent Mygyars were met be Hungarian secret police on the train at the border on their returned and grilled inside out, the goalie being particularily abused. many left during the 56 revolution when their club was playing abroad. it's stronly rumoured the North Korean regime condemned their 'failure' to win the world cup and they were dubbed as 'Western Decadents' and their goalie was scapegoated and sent to a labour camp.
2 more for ye!
any word on the scapegoating of the 3 black Brazilian players, one a goalie again scapegoated post their shock 1950 defeat to Uruguay?
Who in historical soccer terms is now the most significant soccer country never to have appeared in the finals yet, up until 2002 it was probably Ghana and great to see them back again. Until 1990 it was probably The Republic Of Ireland or am I just being jingoistic? I reckon it's probably Zambia with an outside shot for Thailand and Malyasia possibly Libya and Ethiopia. Don't forget all this years participants have in some guise been there before. Thank you, Keep them comming and God help those Korean lads with that lunatic!