Some questions for Sinn Fein following their bus protest in Cork this morning

locke

This doesn't seem to have made the national news, despite the level of disruption it caused, but Sinn Fein in the guise of Cllr Chris O'Leary managed to bring Cork's entire bus network to a halt this morning because of an issue over changing the route of the 202 bus. Essentially, they blocked the entrance to Capwell Bus Depot and prevented buses from leaving. There was no notice for this.

Passengers delayed by protest over 202 bus this morning

Now, I will declare a vested interest as someone who was greatly inconvenienced by this. Thankfully, my wife wasn't working today, so I had a car to fall back on.

Anyway, my questions are:-

- Can the disruption done to the lives of working people and students be justified in any way? The impact of the protests was way beyond any difficulty caused by the re-routing of the 202. There is every potential for people to lose their jobs for being late for work. Yes, it's rare that it would happen on a first offence, but there will be some users out there already on a warning. In addition, the biggest impact will be on low-paid workers who can't afford a car, the kind of people Sinn Fein are supposed to represent.

- I think most of us acknowledge that for both global environmental reasons and because Irish city roads are already choked with cars that it is better to move to more sustainable transport solutions. Cork's bus service has been one of the great successes in this area, with a 23% increase in passengers in the last 3 years (in part because of the kind of route streamlining that has been going on). Having people find that their bus doesn't turn up in the morning is a great way to make the service seem unreliable and put people off using it. Can this kind of damage to a beneficial service be justified?

- 11.7 million bus journeys a year are taken in Cork. That equates to 32,000 a day. However, during school term and on a weekday, this is probably far closer to 50,000 journeys. In what level of political calculus does disrupting all those lives make sense? That is especially true when you consider the online petition attracted 6 signatures, 3 of whom seem to be in the O'Leary family - Petition Bus Service 202- Reinstate Service Down Skehard Rd & Previous Bus Stops

- The maximum distance anyone will have to walk to a bus stop is 500m. Plenty of other places in the SE LEA have similar length walks, such as Hettyfield and Glencurrig. Hettyfield used to be served by the 207A bus, but that was scrapped. What makes this road so special other than the fact the councillor lives in the area?

- Considering Mich Barry TD (AAA/SP) and Cllr Mick Finn (Ind) managed to get the new routing of the 203 in Ballyphehane and Farranree addressed pretty rapidly, why could a party with 8 councillors and 2 TDs in the city not manage to find a better way to get any concerns here addressed?

Last edited:

Fullforward

Why didn't you save yourself some time and just type "I don't like Shinners"?

PlanetBertie

Yes, yes, no, some times, three times a week, yes and no and he wants the bus to stop outside his house.

freewillie

Considering what O Learns pal used do to the buses in Belfast they got off light in Cork

cricket

People of Cork better get used to this. SF and the alphabets are flapping around the place, trying to outdo each other with publicity-seeking gimmicks. They then use the speed dials on their phones to contact either of the two local radio stations as well as the local papers.
This juvenile behaviour, sometimes attracting some of the city's most notorious scumbags, is set to continue up to the next general election and beyond.

former wesleyan

Since when did the 202 go up - down ? - Skehard Road ? That's the 210 as far as I know. The 202 comes from Mahon , past Blackrock Garda Station and then down Beaumont Drive. If O'Leary wants something to gripe about he'd be better arguing for the 202 to be re-routed to UCC and the hospitals like the Bons which have horrendous parking problems. Instead everyone from Mahon , Blackrock and Ballintemple have to get off in the city centre and wait for the 205 connection. Twenty minutes sometimes.

Therightroad

Its important the 202 route change takes place , a few Fat Cat retired public servants live on the new proposed route ....important Fine Gael looks after its fat cats!!

ireallyshouldknowbetter

I am not a Corkonian, so I have no clue about the details of the issue, but I can see how a protest like this would be annoying, and also how it seems to counter-productively target commuters, when it is supposed to be about standing up for commuters.

In summary, Cllr Chris O'Leary is a prize-winning tw@t.

mangaire2

Why is this always the response?

Why do you never address the substantive issue?
maybe - cause none of us know the details of the "substantive issue" of this minor local issue, that inconvenienced the 'locke' family ?

I reckon that the "substantive issue" here may be that ol 'locke' may suffer from a little Shinnerphobia ?

Gin Soaked

Why didn't you save yourself some time and just type "I don't like Shinners"?
Read this in "De Peper" (Examiner - not meant in a pejoritive way....)

The 500m thing is nuts.

I live in Dublin. It is a 10 min walk of about 1k from the QBC on the N 11. I consider that excellent.

At the other end of the commute, the bits of town I've needed to work in have been 10 mins away.

Can you explain why the Rebel county are so incensed. ...?

politirak

This doesn't seem to have made the national news, despite the level of disruption it caused, but Sinn Fein in the guise of Cllr Chris O'Leary managed to bring Cork's entire bus network to a halt this morning because of an issue over changing the route of the 202 bus. Essentially, they blocked the entrance to Capwell Bus Depot and prevented buses from leaving. There was no notice for this.

Passengers delayed by protest over 202 bus this morning

Now, I will declare a vested interest as someone who was greatly inconvenienced by this. Thankfully, my wife wasn't working today, so I had a car to fall back on.

Anyway, my questions are:-

- Can the disruption done to the lives of working people and students be justified in any way? The impact of the protests was way beyond any difficulty caused by the re-routing of the 202. There is every potential for people to lose their jobs for being late for work. Yes, it's rare that it would happen on a first offence, but there will be some users out there already on a warning. In addition, the biggest impact will be on low-paid workers who can't afford a car, the kind of people Sinn Fein are supposed to represent.

- I think most of us acknowledge that for both global environmental reasons and because Irish city roads are already choked with cars that it is better to move to more sustainable transport solutions. Cork's bus service has been one of the great successes in this area, with a 23% increase in passengers in the last 3 years (in part because of the kind of route streamlining that has been going on). Having people find that their bus doesn't turn up in the morning is a great way to make the service seem unreliable and put people off using it. Can this kind of damage to a beneficial service be justified?

- 11.7 million bus journeys a year are taken in Cork. That equates to 32,000 a day. However, during school term and on a weekday, this is probably far closer to 50,000 journeys. In what level of political calculus does disrupting all those lives make sense? That is especially true when you consider the online petition attracted 6 signatures, 3 of whom seem to be in the O'Leary family - Petition Bus Service 202- Reinstate Service Down Skehard Rd & Previous Bus Stops

- The maximum distance anyone will have to walk to a bus stop is 500m. Plenty of other places in the SE LEA have similar length walks, such as Hettyfield and Glencurrig. Hettyfield used to be served by the 207A bus, but that was scrapped. What makes this road so special other than the fact the councillor lives in the area?

- Considering Mich Barry TD (AAA/SP) and Cllr Mick Finn (Ind) managed to get the new routing of the 203 in Ballyphehane and Farranree addressed pretty rapidly, why could a party with 8 councillors and 2 TDs in the city not manage to find a better way to get any concerns here addressed?
Its an absolute outrage that anybody should use their democratic right to protest and draw attention to an unfavourable decision. How dare they, how very dare they.

Roll_On

I am not a Corkonian, so I have no clue about the details of the issue, but I can see how a protest like this would be annoying, and also how it seems to counter-productively target commuters, when it is supposed to be about standing up for commuters.

In summary, Cllr Chris O'Leary is a prize-winning tw@t.
SF voters don't commute so they probably think it's great.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
maybe - cause none of us know the details of the "substantive issue" of this minor local issue, that inconvenienced the 'locke' family ?

I reckon that the "substantive issue" here may be that ol 'locke' may suffer from a little Shinnerphobia ?
Do you think that seems likely, given the facts that we do know?

Uganda

I'm waiting for someone to come along and say "I'm not a shinner, but........".

Windowshopper

What are the buses like now? When I was in uni they could be late quite a lot. I remember standing a the bus stop one day while freshers were looking a the time table saying 'it should be here by now' and thinking 'ah bless'

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies