• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Some "recovery" : Irish ATMs to start issuing €10 notes

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
ATMs to issue

I always judge the relative poverty of a country by how little you can take out of an ATM in one go. Until recently you could take €5 out of banks in Portugal, while you could only take a minimum of €20 from a relatively richer country like Ireland. However as other countries drop their €5 limit in favour of €10, we are joining the in the €10 club.

Happytolearn

I can get £5 out of my local ATM in London - Last time I went home it was only 50 euro notes - Criminal

daveL

It's about time... Many ATMs only housed €50 notes at one point and may probably still do.

Pure unadulterated hubris.

Happytolearn

It's about time... Many ATMs only housed €50 notes at one point and may probably still do.

Pure unadulterated hubris.
It's willfully cruel to those who are experiencing serious money issues.

ruserious

Ehm this is good..

Why the hysteria in the title? You and Dub4 love to create non existent hassle because it serves an ulterior motive.
Grow up.

harshreality

They should have been giving them out all along, this multiples of 50 message that pops up on certain screens drives me crazy, especially when I just need the price of a sandwich and a tin of pop!

Happytolearn

They should have been giving them out all along, this multiples of 50 message that pops up on certain screens drives me crazy, especially when I just need the price of a sandwich and a tin of pop!
Tins of pop and swizzle sticks?

realistic1

ATMs to issue

I always judge the relative poverty of a country by how little you can take out of an ATM in one go. Until recently you could take €5 out of banks in Portugal, while you could only take a minimum of €20 from a relatively richer country like Ireland. However as other countries drop their €5 limit in favour of €10, we are joining the in the €10 club.
Me wonders will the banks will make more profits from such a scheme, through excessive bank charges?

Trainwreck

ATMs to issue

More of the "aren't we rich we've got expensive houses" type fallacy.

The reason we couldn't get 10s or 5s is because of poor service by banks trying to keep costs down.

A machine that issues only 10s will need to be serviced twice as often as one giving out 20s. That is it.

Happytolearn

The reason we couldn't get 10s or 5s is because of poor service by banks trying to keep costs down.

A machine that issues only 10s will need to be serviced twice as often as one giving out 20s. That is it.
I hadn't thought of it like that - I always thought it was that they were just trying to encourage us to take out more - thus making us more likely to go into overdraft.

Happytolearn

Why read beyond the opening line?
I'm not sure of the wording but I've certainly made assumptions of the spending power of a country's citizens based on the minimum note available - or at the very least I'd presume things were cheaper.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie

It's not quite that simple. ATMs have a limited space capacity and a limit on the number of denominations they can hold (all can manage 2, some can hold 3). The lower the denominations you put into them, the less overall value you can have in any ATM and the more frequently they have to be filled, a cost to the bank that will obviously be passed onto the customers.

In other countries to pay a cross-charge when you use an ATM of a bank that isn't your account holder. Don't be surprised if that kind of cross-charging comes into this country as a consequence of this step.

Last edited:

Trainwreck

Why read beyond the opening line?
I read the final lines of the report, which is nonsense. Banks own and operate the ATMs. They don't care if the notes get worn out more quickly. That is simply silly, when notes are worn out they somply send them back the the Ceetral Bank in exchange for more

A source close to the initiative said that one of the reasons smaller notes are not currently dispensed is that they wear out more quickly due to a greater frequency of circulation.

[a technical curio for those interested. Notes and coins held in a bank are not money. They only become money once they are withdrawn voer the counter of from an ATM]

Schomberg

I use my card to pay for everything thesedays. Even newspapers. Fukk em. There was ONE ATM in my home town and when I lived in Monaghan I don't even think there was one that worked more than a day a week. Cash is dead.

Spanner Island

I use my card to pay for everything thesedays. Even newspapers. Fukk em. There was ONE ATM in my home town and when I lived in Monaghan I don't even think there was one that worked more than a day a week. Cash is dead.
So you're one of them... :roll:

Buy a litre of milk and hold everyone up by paying with your feckin' card...

Schomberg

I have the card in and my pin entered before they have the things scanned. all I do it click "ok". takes no time at all. Saves me standing there waiting for some eejit to count out my change or ask me if I have 5 cent handy...errm, no...

ruserious

Noting worse than an aul one rooting through her bag for change as she slowly panics when the realisation of holding up the queue sinks in.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies