• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Something else to lie about

Ardillaun

Apparently, if a US border official asks 'have you ever used marijuana?' the only answer is 'certainly not' if you don't want to run the risk of being permanently banned:

Pot smokers warned: think twice before crossing U.S. border - British Columbia - CBC News

Canadian TV profiled a person who had been banned for admitting such use in the past. Getting an exemption will be difficult and expensive. Marijuana use is legal in Washington State but federal law controls the border. The other thing you don't want to admit to is that you intend to get stoned in the US which is fine once you get in. All a bit confusing, really.

Has this ever happened to Irish travellers?

GabhaDubh

State law versus Federal law, that is why sellers of marijuana cannot deposit their income into a FDIC bank.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
I recall being asked briefly by a pre waiver person going through the queue if
"You believe that you ever might have been suspected, by a competent authority, of moral turpitude "

A number of amusing answers flashed through my mind ...and I answered "of course not" ...as I had assessed the caliber of the questioner just in time

Another good motivation to get a diplomatic passport

cyp

cnocpm

I recall being asked briefly by a pre waiver person going through the queue if
"You believe that you ever might have been suspected, by a competent authority, of moral turpitude "

A number of amusing answers flashed through my mind ...and I answered "of course not" ...as I had assessed the caliber of the questioner just in time

Another good motivation to get a diplomatic passport

cyp
Had they have known,you see no harm in children massaging their parents todgers, moral turpitude would have applied.

NYCKY

Apparently, if a US border official asks 'have you ever used marijuana?' the only answer is 'certainly not' if you don't want to run the risk of being permanently banned:

Pot smokers warned: think twice before crossing U.S. border - British Columbia - CBC News

Canadian TV profiled a person who had been banned for admitting such use in the past. Getting an exemption will be difficult and expensive. Marijuana use is legal in Washington State but federal law controls the border. The other thing you don't want to admit to is that you intend to get stoned in the US which is fine once you get in. All a bit confusing, really.

Federal law always trumps state laws. The problem is that you have an administration that is selectively choosing what laws it wishes to enforce.

silverharp

Had they have known,you see no harm in children massaging their parents todgers, moral turpitude would have applied.
I didnt know he was Muslim

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Heh. US Federal officials enquiring after people's 'moral turpitude'.

'Well I haven't started any false flag wars lately'.

Seriously why bother? Unless you have to go to the States for work-related reasons (and I have a policy of avoiding going to any conferences in the states which would be the only reason I might be asked to go there) I'd spend my tourist money in Europe instead.

I have about as much interest in being questioned by some US patriot in a cheap chinese made polyester uniform as I have in joining a Fianna Fail cumann.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I did work over there for some months about ten years ago. Found it very fake and ersatz. Decided I could never live and work there permanently. There seemed to be goons everywhere empowered to annoy people.

Washington had these chaps in 'Homeland Security' squad-cars cruising around watching out presumably for some chap in turban and robes tip-toeing towards the White House.... in reality there was no reason for them to be around other than to keep up the visible pretence of a 'nation at war'.

Sort of made me think of the descriptions of Berlin in the mid-1930s. There are some nice places I wouldn't mind seeing such as Vermont and Kentucky and the coastal highway down through California but I can't be arsed to spend any tourism money in what is essentially a police state.

I wouldn't mind seeing falconry in Saudi Arabia either or the deserts of the middle east but I can't be bothered with the officialdom and questioning of either Saudi or the US so I'll be content to hang around Europe which has a lot to offer and very little of politics to intrude on a nice time away.

I suspect the Americans are actively trying to dissuade casual tourism anyway while they continue trying to terrify their own hostage population into a future being guarded carefully by Coca Cola's military security division Inc.

Lúidín

I have about as much interest in being questioned by some US patriot in a cheap chinese made polyester uniform as I have in joining a Fianna Fail cumann.
Admit it, you failed the question: "Are you now or have you ever been a member of the cominist pawty?"

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Admit it, you failed the question: "Are you now or have you ever been a member of the cominist pawty?"
Very bored in the early 1980s I recall disinterestedly signing up for the FCA. The security questioning was very thorough. Have you now or have you ever been a member of a paramilitary organisation?

'No'.

'Right. Sign here.'

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
In fact if my bosses ever try and make me go through that crap to visit the states I may just join the Vladimir Putin Fan Club to deliberately spike my security clearance.

I'm sure I'll survive the rest of my life somehow without instant access to Dunkin' Donuts.

Spanner Island

Chances are seeing as it's much easier to get drugs than it is alcohol in America that a very high percentage of those asking the question will have smoked marijuana themselves...

If this report is true it's a retarded question followed by a retarded reaction.

FFS America :roll:

Lúidín

The important thing to remember in the USA is to freeze and very slowly raise your hands when anyone - traffic warden, doorman, burger clerk - says that scary "excuse me sir". A witty reposte will have you thrown to the floor if you are lucky. The alternative is the pepper spray, taser or lethal force.

EUrJokingMeRight

Heh. US Federal officials enquiring after people's 'moral turpitude'.

'Well I haven't started any false flag wars lately'.

Seriously why bother? Unless you have to go to the States for work-related reasons (and I have a policy of avoiding going to any conferences in the states which would be the only reason I might be asked to go there) I'd spend my tourist money in Europe instead.

America is a place best avoided if you wish to have any hope for the future of humanity left.

Mad as Fish

The US is turning in on itself more and more, over the years on various fora I have seen them become more isolationist and hidebound. If something is not done the American way or conform to the American ethos then it is either attacked, ignored or undermined. But whatever happens it is always done by a team, they rarely act on their own but fall in line right behind whoever the feel has been affronted by a derivation from good ol' homeland thinking and if that doesn't work they turn upon the individual in much the same manner, we see exactly the same thing here on P.ie, were the FG shill team being coached from across the pond over the last few years? A visit to the the water protest threads might give some indication of that.

Last edited:

Orbit v2

Federal law always trumps state laws. The problem is that you have an administration that is selectively choosing what laws it wishes to enforce.
I think it's more that federal law has jurisdiction in specific areas as decided in their constitution. Matters that affect the states in a common way, like guarding the national border, is an obvious example.

Roll_On

Ironic considering how Americans are some of the biggest consumers of hash. Also your average American is positively off their tits most of the day on prescription medication. Antidepressants are like tic tacs.

Mad as Fish

Ironic considering how Americans are some of the biggest consumers of hash. Also your average American is positively off their tits most of the day on prescription medication. Antidepressants are like tic tacs.
They need to keep up the pretence that they are the epitome of all that is good about a free and noble country and worthy of being considered the leading nation of Planet Earth. If that dream was ever true it is now rotting rapidly but they must never allow the mask to slip to expose the decay below.

Mad as Fish

The United States was not included in the OECD analysis (we've added it to the chart below), but if it had been, it would knock Iceland out of the top spot: 11% of Americans over the age of 12 take an antidepressant.

The top countries for antidepressant use - Tech Insider

Ardillaun

Our current Canadian Prime Minister could be banned from travelling to the US on anything other than a diplomatic passport as he has openly admitted using marijuana. How many other leaders would have to stay away as well?

When you are being asked something you know the questioner has probably done himself and which, if answered honestly, could lead to a lifetime ban, it does tend to bring the law - state, federal, whatever - into disrepute.

The border officials just seem to entertain themselves with these questions. I was asked, 'have you ever been arrested'.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies