Something to leave behind?

amsterdemmetje

We all know by now that this year has been a bad year for Celebs, Movie Stars and Musicians leaving this Earth many in an untimely fashion ,its been in our faces on a daily basis. I'm sure many of us more mere mortals have had their own tragic departings this year but of course we don't make the news ,not that any of us would want to im sure. While pondering over many of the things that happened this year to my good self the one thing that kept popping up in my head was "what will i leave behind "? Movie Stars and the like leave behind a legacy good bad or indifferent, most of them not all also leave behind a solid financial legacy for those they leave behind .

Id be lying if i said that leaving behind something for my children financially didn't bother me, it does but what would bother me more would be that i didn't leave an impression on them ,one that would help them to lead a good life and help them teach their own own children the same like my parents have done for me and mine. If i can do that alone ill depart a happy man.

Take the time if you would to listen to this song it left an impression on me ,a truly astonishing song and voice.

[video=youtube;mSgnC5eQ5u0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSgnC5eQ5u0[/video]

GDPR

We all know by now that this year has been a bad year for Celebs, Movie Stars and Musicians leaving this Earth many in an untimely fashion ,its been in our faces on a daily basis. I'm sure many of us more mere mortals have had their own tragic departings this year but of course we don't make the news ,not that any of us would want to im sure. While pondering over many of the things that happened this year to my good self the one thing that kept popping up in my head was "what will i leave behind "?
All going well I'll leave my kids behind me, adults now and there's nothing I will ever do that will be more meaningful than them or that I could be more proud of. Job done and I'm just sitting back to enjoy that with every passing day now.

Good idea for a thread.

amsterdemmetje

All going well I'll leave my kids behind me, adults now and there's nothing I will ever do that will be more meaningful than them or that I could be more proud of. Job done and I'm just sitting back to enjoy that with every passing day now.

Good idea for a thread.
Thats sounds about right Tonic up there with my own thinking.
I thought is was good idea myself for a thread ,as I've said I've been mulling over it for a while now not especially about dying but what will i leave behind.

gatsbygirl20

We all know by now that this year has been a bad year for Celebs, Movie Stars and Musicians leaving this Earth many in an untimely fashion ,its been in our faces on a daily basis. I'm sure many of us more mere mortals have had their own tragic departings this year but of course we don't make the news ,not that any of us would want to im sure. While pondering over many of the things that happened this year to my good self the one thing that kept popping up in my head was "what will i leave behind "? Movie Stars and the like leave behind a legacy good bad or indifferent, most of them not all also leave behind a solid financial legacy for those they leave behind .

Id be lying if i said that leaving behind something for my children financially didn't bother me, it does but what would bother me more would be that i didn't leave an impression on them ,one that would help them to lead a good life and help them teach their own own children the same like my parents have done for me and mine. If i can do that alone ill depart a happy man.

Take the time if you would to listen to this song it left an impression on me ,a truly astonishing song and voice.

"All that will survive of us is love"

So said the old misanthrope and cynic Philip Larkin in his poem An Arundel Tomb

We are stardust....

We will live in the hearts of those who love us, until they too die....in the sideways smile or sharp glance of one of our descendants generations hence.....

Somewhere, our story will be told...

And then silence...

"They are not long, the days of wine and roses.
Out of a misty dream
Our path emerges for a while then closes
Within a dream"

Ernest Dowson.

Dedogs

happy new year to you too mate.... ;);):)

LadyLou

We had an anniversary lately and I have a photograph of all my family so far. My

children and grandchildren. No great-grandchildren so far. I have nineteen in the

group. That's what I will leave behind. Out of two, myself and my husband we have

that many children and grandchildren. I look at the picture in awe. I could never have

imagined it in my youth.

Supra

I will get nothing but the memories and will not leave anything of monetary value behind. I'm late 30s and don't need anything. Although i will help out with payments and loans to the younger generation while i'm here I expect to go another good few years yet and the next generation would want to have themselves sorted by then.

wexfordman

That's a brilliant song, love Sean Rowe... Also used at the end of these movie "the accountant "

ShoutingIsLeadership

Focus too much on what you'll leave behind, and you'll forget the here and now. If you have children, family or friends, give them the one thing which you cannot leave behind, but which will remain with them forever if you give it to them now.

Your time.

GDPR

Focus too much on what you'll leave behind, and you'll forget the here and now. If you have children, family or friends, give them the one thing which you cannot leave behind, but which will remain with them forever if you give it to them now.

Your time.
I tried that, but they maintained it just wasn't worth the €100.00 per hour that is my family rate.

Reasunach

Not having children, I've donated my earthly remains to the RCSI. The material stuff will go to my nieces & nephews, but I hope that my legacy will be that you don't have to conform in order to contribute.

Fullforward

Leave behind................No regrets.

Ruadh

We had an anniversary lately and I have a photograph of all my family so far. My

children and grandchildren. No great-grandchildren so far. I have nineteen in the

group. That's what I will leave behind. Out of two, myself and my husband we have

that many children and grandchildren. I look at the picture in awe. I could never have

imagined it in my youth.
Since having children its striking how hidden this aspect of life was before.
This is richness.

Ruadh

Your time.
You can't take your life with you. It's yours but you do not own it. Anything you gain in it cannot be carried. Indeed we can only share it with others.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Build a stone wall. I think it might have been Kavanagh who pointed out that a stone wall in the country outlasts a file in a civil service office.

Apologies to Kavanagh if I have accused him in the wrong. It is a half remembered thing from many years ago.

Sister Mercedes

Many Irish people of my acquaintance retire in their early 50's, and consider that's the leaving an impression part of life over, now the focus is on golf, grandkids, a bit of travel etc.

We're living longer. Extend your horizons. Colonel Sanders didn't set up a chicken restaurant with his special recipe until he was 62.

New Threads

Most Replies