• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Soros "EU faces slow death"

Dublin 4

George Soros, the billionaire investor, said Europe is adopting the same policies that led Japan into a quarter of a century of "slow death" that it is desperately trying to escape with "dangerous" new monetary expansion.

Soros: Europe faces 'slow death' Japan is trying to escape - Telegraph

Soros has been making noises during the EZ crisis of impending doom & then sometimes claming that things were getting better.

Should we bother listening to these guys who change their minds whilst the EU changes Policy- compare Cyprus to us.

Soros told Reuters Financial Television the euro has been "a tremendous advantage" to countries that use it and said there was "no question of a weaker country dropping out."
Soros positive on the euro | European Dialogue

The Eurozone Crisis is constantly modifying, almost as if it has designed itself "virus like" to stay 10 steps ahead of Magnates, Moghuls, Bankers & Govts.

The Doomsters have called it right in that it's worsening by way of more Bailouts & but the Euro hasn't broken up (yet)

The Pollyannas have also called it right in that the Euro hasn't broken up yet - but it's worsening via more Bailouts.

Only a forensic knowledge of Bank Levs, Sov Debt & ECB intentions could permit a correct diagnosis.

Otherwise - how can you call the result if you don't even know who is playing???

Analyzer

This is a bit of a shocker because Soros has been a supporter of EU centralization in recent years.

I reckon that the EU is programmed for longer term collapse. Though the idiots in Brussels have a track record in devising very effective schemes to modify the timeline, while increasing the scale of the impending disaster.

Dublin 4

They'll say he said "Europe" & they're only the "EU" :lol:

DownTheyGo

Who knows with this guy. He could even be holding a significant short position. His view on the Euro since 2010 has flip flopped many times. I distinctly remember the famous investors letter sent to all EU governments back in 2010/11 insisting the Euro be saved at whatever the cost; he was a key signatory. Since then his viewpoint has been up and down many times. He has been given a great deal of kudos for his financial accomplishments over the years and if you're into that sort of thing, rightly so. More recently though I wonder if he even gets the level of complexities involved. At a macro level he could well be on the money for he has the ear and mind of many. But the Euro crisis is an unprecedented situation and I truly wonder at this point if anyone knows what way to turn or how to manoeuvre in and around it. Though, the grip of the crisis is ever strengthening its stranglehold.

Dublin 4

You sound excited DTG are you a Crisis Junkie too? :p

DownTheyGo

You sound excited DTG are you a Crisis Junkie too? :p
I might have had a view or two along the way :)

Anyone who watched / listened to Draghi yesterday should have been able to make out the evident frustration and uncertainty that even he holds at this point. We are in most uncertain times; the data tells us as much.

Dublin 4

Yeah - it was up there with Fair City alright. :cool:

Reminds me I still have to watch last night's recorded installment of Televisual Magnificence :p

Dublin 4

There's a few posters here would like you to live there too :lol:

I'm not 1 of them though ;)

southwestkerry

Soros and Co are best described in the movie 'Rogue Trader', one day they are with you the next with someone else.

jpc

This is a bit of a shocker because Soros has been a supporter of EU centralization in recent years.

I reckon that the EU is programmed for longer term collapse. Though the idiots in Brussels have a track record in devising very effective schemes to modify the timeline, while increasing the scale of the impending disaster.
What a change from the vision and pragmatism of Monnet, Adenauer and Schuman.
The ideals and vision of the European project got replaced with bureaucracy red tape corruption and the gravy train.
That I guess is the way of things when the bureaucrats replace the vision and ideals.
The integration of the financial sector is the case in point.
People (obviously) didn't understand the complexity involved.
The same people and interests now want their money back or are doing their best to hide their losses.
We could write pages on the stifling and stupid bureaucracy of the EU (fisheries policy a good start!)
The real question is do the apparatchiks that run this bureaucracy understand how imperilled it is?
The original idea and vision was excellent, the paralysis during the Balkan wars was the biggest test and Europe failed.
Everything since has been a cumulation of this failure.
Straight banannas and carrots anyone?

Ren84

Yawn. Another day, another anti EU mope fest. Zzzzz...............

jpc

Yawn. Another day, another anti EU mope fest. Zzzzz...............
They are doing a great job at making things that way.

Dublin 4

Ren - SF (who you support) run a lot of campaigns against EU Treaties.

This is about whether or not Soros & co are credible & whether the Crisis has both Pollys & Doomers confounded.

McEavelli

What a change from the vision and pragmatism of Monnet, Adenauer and Schuman.
The ideals and vision of the European project got replaced with bureaucracy red tape corruption and the gravy train.
That I guess is the way of things when the bureaucrats replace the vision and ideals.
The integration of the financial sector is the case in point.
People (obviously) didn't understand the complexity involved.
The same people and interests now want their money back or are doing their best to hide their losses.
We could write pages on the stifling and stupid bureaucracy of the EU (fisheries policy a good start!)
The real question is do the apparatchiks that run this bureaucracy understand how imperilled it is?
The original idea and vision was excellent, the paralysis during the Balkan wars was the biggest test and Europe failed.
Everything since has been a cumulation of this failure.
Straight banannas and carrots anyone?
If the other countries sent Commissioners similar to the ones we did, its a wonder it hasn't collapsed before now.

Ren84

You could always set up a pro EU mope fest... and ignore this one. But you won't. Zzzzzzz............
No, I just get on with things and not insist the EU is about to fall apart, like D4 has being doing for about 2 years now. Any day now the EU will fall apart...................................................

:rolleyes:

Ren84

Ren - SF (who you support) run a lot of campaigns against EU Treaties.

This is about whether or not Soros & co are credible & whether the Crisis has both Pollys & Doomers confounded.
I vote for SF occasionally, wouldn't call myself a supporter. Soros? Hmm, the man is simply a vulture capitalist looking to get rich of the next country going broke, like what he did with Britain. His opinions carry no weight.

jpc

If the other countries sent Commissioners similar to the ones we did, its a wonder it hasn't collapsed before now.
Fair point.

Put on the Green jersey Red jersey, Blue jersey, etc when you go over there.
And the implementation/interpretation of directives indicates same.
In our case the break of of the energy market which perversely gave higher prices so that new players could compete.
And EDF (France) keeps chugging away as is.