South Africa - ready to explode?

Catalpa

Looks like things could spiral out of control down there as Black people who never got a taste of the good life they were promised Post apartheid take matters into their own hands....

Zuma needs to get his act together here

- and on these people he can't use his machine gun!

SA township protests spread - The Irish Times - Wed, Jul 22, 2009

Violent protests in South African townships spread today, piling pressure on President Jacob Zuma to deliver on government promises of help for the poor three months after elections.

Protesters hurled stones at police, who responded with teargas and rubber bullets, after thousands marched through South Africa's Thokoza township today over poor services and unemployment.

The unrest, with scenes reminiscent of violence against foreigners last year that killed 62 people, also undermines South Africa's hope of showing a positive image with less than a year to go before the World Cup finals.

Tiernanator

Looks like things could spiral out of control down there as Black people who never got a taste of the good life they were promised Post apartheid take matters into their own hands....

Zuma needs to get his act together here

- and on these people he can't use his machine gun!

SA township protests spread - The Irish Times - Wed, Jul 22, 2009

Violent protests in South African townships spread today, piling pressure on President Jacob Zuma to deliver on government promises of help for the poor three months after elections.

Protesters hurled stones at police, who responded with teargas and rubber bullets, after thousands marched through South Africa's Thokoza township today over poor services and unemployment.

The unrest, with scenes reminiscent of violence against foreigners last year that killed 62 people, also undermines South Africa's hope of showing a positive image with less than a year to go before the World Cup finals.

Well I am sure you will welcome them as asylum seekers in Dublin.

Schomberg

Documentary on BBC last night presented by Peter Hain. The real issue is that it appears that SA is another Zimbabwe in waiting. Download expat shield to watch it.
BBC iPlayer - This World: South Africa: The Massacre that Changed a Nation
This isn't surprising. People have been saying it's a disaster waiting to happen for years and the process has already begun. The critical moment will be when Mandela passes away. There's simply nothing there for the young people. All the spoils of the war against the old reign went to the older generation and they didn't have the capabilities to run a country. The only viable opposition is seen as the white peoples party so no one will vote for them. Any opposition to the ANC is crushed by the ANCYL on the streets. The blacks hate eachother (same as in Zim), they all hate the whites. The place is a pressure cooker.

Auld Cynic

Rhodesia was the bread basket of Africa. Mugabe destroyed it. South Africa was a leading country. Look where it is now. Sad. People it seems need to be careful what they wish for. Too much 'democracy' may not be the best for the people as a whole.

Silentmajority

Rhodesia was the bread basket of Africa. Mugabe destroyed it. South Africa was a leading country. Look where it is now. Sad. People it seems need to be careful what they wish for. Too much 'democracy' may not be the best for the people as a whole.
Have to agree about the democracy bit, look what it did for us, Bertie's social partnership focus group and voodoo economics ever decreasing income tax rates, more and more exempt from paying any income tax, while simultaneous benchmarking for PS, increasing SW and extended rights \ benefits, and we bought it not once but 3 times till the bubble burst!

Auld Cynic

Have to agree about the democracy bit, look what it did for us, Bertie's social partnership focus group and voodoo economics ever decreasing income tax rates, more and more exempt from paying any income tax, while simultaneous benchmarking for PS, increasing SW and extended rights \ benefits, and we bought it not once but 3 times till the bubble burst!
I grew up favouring democracy at every turn but the older I get the more I am questioning the wisdom of it given the results too much diversity in voter motivations throws up.

Clanrickard

You mean for the blacks?

soubresauts

You seem to be saying "They let the n1ggers have too much freedom." Or am I picking you up wrong?

Auld Cynic

You seem to be saying "They let the n1ggers have too much freedom." Or am I picking you up wrong?
No, I'm saying that it seems to me there are more people in economic terms worse off now than before 'democracy'. But, as you mention it, native rulers have been found wanting in many former colonies, including our own.

Lain2016

No, I'm saying that it seems to me there are more people in economic terms worse off now than before 'democracy'. But, as you mention it, native rulers have been found wanting in many former colonies, including our own.
We need the heavy hand of imperilaism to guide us, being that we're thick...I see! :roll:

P Ryan

You mean for the blacks?
well the history of the 20th century seems to repeatedly demonstrate that non whites seem to be incapable of self-governance. It may not be PC but let's call a spade a spade.

SilverSpurs

This isn't surprising. People have been saying it's a disaster waiting to happen for years and the process has already begun. The critical moment will be when Mandela passes away. There's simply nothing there for the young people. All the spoils of the war against the old reign went to the older generation and they didn't have the capabilities to run a country. The only viable opposition is seen as the white peoples party so no one will vote for them. Any opposition to the ANC is crushed by the ANCYL on the streets. The blacks hate eachother (same as in Zim), they all hate the whites. The place is a pressure cooker.
That I am in 100% agreement with you Schommy. He is the one figure that will unite all South Africans. I said at the time that part of the transition from apartheid had to include the disbanding of the ANC as I feared they would rise to the position of quasi-dictator as there was no opposition parties at the ready.

The System Works

Website
www.thesystemworks.wordpress.com
Twitter
@mendingtheworld
Majority rule is not synonymous with freedom, though it is a very common erroneous assumption. The tyranny of a majority is worse than that of a minority

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies