South Belfast : DUP hard-Brexit vote V lighter shade of green ?

McSlaggart

Cynthia,
Dumb and Dumber strike again.
Mcfly was talking crap as there are two Unionist councillors elected for the Derg 1 UuP and 1 DUP.
So maybe you could think before you post coz I'm getting embarrassed for you.
That is not what your local government website says.

No matter it still means unionism is a minority in the Derg.

death or glory

That is not what your local government website says.

No matter it still means unionism is a minority in the Derg.
Duh,
You are wrong.
Two Unionist councillors were elected for the Derg ward.
Derek Hussy UUP got suspended from being a councillor ai he has co-opted Andy McKane to be an alderman in his absence, who stood for Uup in another ward and failed to get elected.

Your blatant ignorance is on show when you don't know what you are posting about.

McSlaggart

Sinn Fein has signalled a willingness to co-operate with other pro-Remain parties to challenge DUP Brexiteer candidates if a general election is called.

Party vice president Michelle O’Neill did not rule out electoral pacts with other “progressive” parties to maximise the chances of taking seats in Northern Ireland.

The talk is SF fro North Belfast and sdlp for south Belfast.

death or glory

Sinn Fein has signalled a willingness to co-operate with other pro-Remain parties to challenge DUP Brexiteer candidates if a general election is called.

Party vice president Michelle O’Neill did not rule out electoral pacts with other “progressive” parties to maximise the chances of taking seats in Northern Ireland.

I can't see SDLP agreeing to support abstentionist MP's so that logic doesn't work.

McSlaggart

SDLP leader Colum Eastwood has said he would be happy to meet Green leader Clare Bailey to discuss potential "agreed" candidates if a snap general election is triggered.

Ms Bailey has written to the other Stormont pro-remain parties asking leaders to hold talks.

Newrybhoy

If the Greens and Alliance ally with SF they are crossing a river with their supposed neutral stance. It's going to give soft unionists a pause for thought if they see that direction of travel.

AhNowStop

They MUST do this .. they can sidestep the old "sectarian headcount" excuse for not joining forces as this is cross community and for the good of everyone

and the DUPpers have absolutely no one to blame but their horrible selves :cool:

devonish

They MUST do this .. they can sidestep the old "sectarian headcount" excuse for not joining forces as this is cross community and for the good of everyone

and the DUPpers have absolutely no one to blame but their horrible selves :cool:
I can't see Alliance forming any pact with any party, even in North Down where the sitting MP is close to Alliance thinking on many issues I expect them to stand, albeit that a large chunk of their voters, including myself, will vote for Sylvia Hermon. The only possible agreement that I see is between SDLP &SF in relation to North and South Belfast, personally I think that Claire Hanna will win South Belfast even without a pact as she will attract votes from both SF and Alliance in the knowledge that she's the only one with a chance of defeating the DUP, so I don't see much in a pact for the SDLP either.

Paddyc

And if no Shinner or SDLP candidate runs in East Belfast or South Antrim and ask their voters to vote Alliance instead, might that throw the cat among the pigeons?

AhNowStop

I can't see Alliance forming any pact with any party, even in North Down where the sitting MP is close to Alliance thinking on many issues I expect them to stand, albeit that a large chunk of their voters, including myself, will vote for Sylvia Hermon. The only possible agreement that I see is between SDLP &SF in relation to North and South Belfast, personally I think that Claire Hanna will win South Belfast even without a pact as she will attract votes from both SF and Alliance in the knowledge that she's the only one with a chance of defeating the DUP, so I don't see much in a pact for the SDLP either.
ye could be right re Alliance but I think it would make sense and avoid the "sectarian" label because of brexit... we'll soon see I expect

AhNowStop

And if no Shinner or SDLP candidate runs in East Belfast or South Antrim and ask their voters to vote Alliance instead, might that throw the cat among the pigeons?
this is exactly what should happen .... get rid of these muppets who are trying to drag us all back

Marcella

If there is a general election forthcoming as a consequence of a no confidence vote, then the pro remain parties need to get together to form an electoral pact. They could easily take two seats off the DUP, i.e. Belfast South and Belfast North. They should also stand aside in North Down.
East Belfast would be another constituency where a single remain candidate such as Naomi Long would stand a great chance.

I think it’s highly unlikely but a remain pact aimed at minimising DUP wins would be highly advantageous.

devonish

Alliance are too far behind in East Belfast plus it's unlikely their candidate would be Long. South Antrim is between DUP and UUP, other candidates way too far behind to make a difference.

Mickeymac

ye could be right re Alliance but I think it would make sense and avoid the "sectarian" label because of brexit... we'll soon see I expect

The timing of this upcoming election will be pivotal, if an election comes in the Spring of next year and the Brits Brexit Oct31 expect quite a few shocks for the billyboys if the experts have got it right regards the huge changes a no deal Brexit will bring to Ireland.

AhNowStop

The timing of this upcoming election will be pivotal, if an election comes in the Spring of next year and the Brits Brexit Oct31 expect quite a few shocks for the billyboys if the experts have got it right regards the huge changes a no deal Brexit will bring to Ireland.
Their "sheep" will still follow them but the more pragmatic unionists will leave them .. basically the ones with even a modicum of intelligence will say bye bye to the DUPlicitous party

Mickeymac

Their "sheep" will still follow them but the more pragmatic unionists will leave them .. basically the ones with even a modicum of intelligence will say bye bye to the DUPlicitous party

To quote someone on here this week...…"get plenty of popcorn in" …………. 😂 😂😂

raetsel

East Belfast would be another constituency where a single remain candidate such as Naomi Long would stand a great chance.

I think it’s highly unlikely but a remain pact aimed at minimising DUP wins would be highly advantageous.
I heard it suggested on Talkback the other day as well but I doubt if it is realistic.
The DUP's Robinson got 55% of the vote in 2017.

New Threads

Most Replies