• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

South Florida police shoot unarmed therapist

Polly Ticks

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/07/21/fla-police-shoot-black-man-with-his-hands-up-as-he-tries-to-help-autistic-patient/

Police in South Florida shot an unarmed black caretaker Monday as he tried to help his autistic patient.

Charles Kinsey was trying to retrieve a young autistic man who had wandered away from an assisted living facility and was blocking traffic when Kinsey was shot by a North Miami police officer.

In cellphone footage of the incident that emerged Wednesday, Kinsey can be seen lying on the ground with his hands in the air, trying to calm the autistic man and defuse the situation seconds before he is shot.

“All he has is a toy truck in his hand,” Kinsey can be heard saying in the video as police officers with assault rifles hide behind telephone poles approximately 30 feet away.
Thankfully he and the autistic man survived. Traumatic for both.

“All he has is a toy truck in his hand. A toy truck,” Kinsey can be heard saying in the video. “I am a behavioral therapist at a group home.

“That’s all it is,” he says, referring to the toy truck. “That’s all it is. There is no need for guns.”
Perhaps it was a mistake on the officer's part. One can only hope so.

That said, the next time someone tries to portray the "Hands up, Don't Shoot" meme as a form of factually inaccurate whining, remember this story... and that doing something about US gun culture will be of benefit to people of all races and backgrounds, including the police.

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "US police shoot black man lying down with arms in air". </Mod>

Last edited by a moderator:

daveL

I presume therapist was a misspelling of black rapist

Ó Ghabhainn

Saw that. I couldn't help asking myself, why shoot the guy on the ground and not the one with the potential weapon.

And the cop should face trial, not a week's administrative leave. There's only one way to diffuse all this, and that's by saying it's not ok to shoot black people.

cozzy121

US police shoot black man lying down with arms in air

Looks like the armed oppression of unarmed African American Males continues.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jul/21/florida-police-shoot-black-man-lying-down-with-arms-in-air

Video shows therapist moments before he was wounded by police marksman while trying to get his autistic patient to comply with officers
Kinsey, who is black, lay down and put his hands up while trying to get his patient to comply. An officer fired three times, striking Kinsey in the leg, Cuevas said. No weapon was found on either Kinsey or his patient.

PC Principle

We don't have all the details but I'm sure all the Pie.ie Experts on Everything and Race Baiters will arrive to enlighten us as usual.

McTell

Twitter
No
... There's only one way to diffuse all this, and that's by saying it's not ok to shoot black people.

But mostly it is black people who shoot black people :-(

Grand total of 13,441 shot dead in the US in 2015, all "races", a lot more than killed by ISIS.

Past Summary Ledgers | Gun Violence Archive

However guns are less lethal than prescription drugs

https://mises.org/blog/dea-releases-new-drug-overdose-death-figures-guns-safer-prescription-drugs

Imho the "war against drugs" and the "war on Isis" are aiming in the wrong direction. Many want to earn from their eye-wateringly large budgets.

Smithy12

Law and order will break down if this keeps happening. A trump presidency is likely to make things worse then better also.

sport02

I saw this earlier, completely uncalled for, cop should face trial.
Also a couple of days ago, I saw a clip of a young latino being held down by three cops, he wasn't armed, the cops were OTT and then there was the police dog viciously biting him when he was on the ground. The young latino guy was moving around trying to avoid the dog while three American cops kept shouting at him to stay still, how are you meant to stay still in the situation.

The guy died ten days later. Investigation cleared the cops.

There is something very messed up with the cops over there, too aggressive, they come across as if they're on steroids.

dalyp

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/07/21/fla-police-shoot-black-man-with-his-hands-up-as-he-tries-to-help-autistic-patient/

Thankfully he and the autistic man survived. Traumatic for both.

Perhaps it was a mistake on the officer's part. One can only hope so.

That said, the next time someone tries to portray the "Hands up, Don't Shoot" meme as a form of factually inaccurate whining, remember this story... and that doing something about US gun culture will be of benefit to people of all races and backgrounds, including the police.
Yeah Yeah - but we can't see his left pocket - he may have a gun in there

making waves

The total number of people killed by police this year is now 640.

Alton Sterling was 598
Philando Castille was 604

dalyp

I presume therapist was a misspelling of black rapist
I'm sure he shouted he was a behavior terrorist, and the patient looks like he might be a potential beheading victim, it all makes sense

cozzy121

We don't have all the details but I'm sure all the Pie.ie Experts on Everything and Race Baiters will arrive to enlighten us as usual.
Well let's see what we do have.

An autistic man’s therapist was shot and wounded by police in Florida while lying on the street with his hands in the air... Charles Kinsey, who works with people with disabilities, was trying to get his 27-year-old patient back to a facility from where he wandered, North Miami assistant police chief Neal Cuevas told the Miami Herald.

In an interview with WSVN-Channel 7, Kinsey said that after he was shot, officers approached and flipped him over and handcuffed him.

“Sir, there’s no need for firearms,” Kinsey told the news station he said to police before he was shot. “It was so surprising. It was like a mosquito bite.”

Kinsey said when he asked the officer why he fired his weapon, the cop responded, “I don’t know.”
North Miami police officer shot caretaker of autistic man on ground | Miami Herald

ShinnerBot No.32564844524

An autistic man’s therapist was shot and wounded by police in Florida while lying on the street with his hands in the air.
:shock:

Well this don't help the situation.

Escalation to continue unfortunately, people fall to the habit of arguing sides when given recent events what we have is an increasing escalation of conflict. De-escalation is the only rational solution, yet humans will be humans on issues such as this. More's the pity as people will die.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies