• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

South Kerry coroner links high suicide rates to the ending of corporal punishment

johnny365

South Kerry coroner Terence Casey has linked the rise in suicides to the ending of corporal punishment . Mr Casey is calling for an open and frank debate about suicide.

Is Terence Casey correct, has the ending of corporal punishment brought about a lack of respect for people and authority? Does this also lead to a lack of respect for life in general? In my view he is wide of the mark but it is an interesting argument.

South Kerry Coroner says end of corporal punishment may contribute to rise in suicides

ShoutingIsLeadership

Did you hear the one about the Kerry coroner?

He said people were killing themselves because they weren't getting beaten up anymore.

ottovonbismarck

No offence, but if you find this to be an interesting argument, then you are one wild dude.

Regards...knitting

Twin Towers

Don't know about the corporal punishment angle but there has been a shocking rise in suicides explainable by who knows what. I'm sure everybody here has been touched by at least one and that wouldn't have been the case 15 or 20 years ago.

johnny365

No offence, but if you find this to be an interesting argument, then you are one wild dude.

Regards...knitting
He is not correct however has the break down in respect for law and order and others has lessened the value of life?

The Herren

One of my friends in NATIONAL school hung himself because of the sadistic practices of our teacher. The teacher was from the same parts as that coroner,

Dadaist

Young people, especially young males are generally far more emotionally expressive than they ever have been in this country. Reintroduce corporal punishment and the cliamate of fear that that would entail and I guarentee that youth suicides would rise and not fall.

Dadaist

Don't know about the corporal punishment angle but there has been a shocking rise in suicides explainable by who knows what. I'm sure everybody here has been touched by at least one and that wouldn't have been the case 15 or 20 years ago.
Suicide rates have risen for the over 60s in the last five years, something that this coroner says he has never seen before. To be fair to him, he has to deal with a sizable proportion of the over 500 suicides every year. I think he is looking in the wrong direction as to why young people take their lives, but I feel he is looking for extreme answers to an horrifically extreme problem.

Mitsui2

South Kerry coroner Terence Casey has linked the rise in suicides to the ending of corporal punishment . Mr Casey is calling for an open and frank debate about suicide.

Is Terence Casey correct, has the ending of corporal punishment brought about a lack of respect for people and authority? Does this also lead to a lack of respect for life in general? In my view he is wide of the mark but it is an interesting argument.

South Kerry Coroner says end of corporal punishment may contribute to rise in suicides
I heard that today and I thought he was being more than a bit daft. What I thought made it even dafter was that he said he thought suicide rates among the young would go down in time because young people now - especially males - were better able to express their feelings than was formerly the case in Ireland. The reason this seemed dafter to me was that the latter would appear to me to be part of exactly the same social development that made us come to regard corporal punishment as unacceptable, but that notion seemed not to have struck him.

Though to be fair to the man he did stress more than once that the corporal punishment bit was simply his own personal opinion - he wasn't agitating for its return or anything.

Dadaist

Though to be fair to the man he did stress more than once that the corporal punishment bit was simply his own personal opinion - he wasn't agitating for its return or anything.
I got the feeling that if it could be brought back, he would be in favour, but yes he understood that it was not a possibility. He was essentially calling for more discipline in reguards to young people and that young people take little or no resposibility for the consequences of their actions, leading to a lack of understanding of the wider consequences of ending their own lives. To me that is just simplifying a very complex issue that has asspects that are obviously unique to each individual case. This is why very few policies that try to tackle suicide are successful, in a general sense that is.

ygargarin

The audio clip quoted is quite abbreviated. I'd like to hear the full version.
In my limited personal experience, I found Terence Casey to be empathetic and constructively helpful. He gave me valuable advice and, more importantly, support, by phone, at a weekend, when I was desperate and had no-one else to resort to. I was contending with the mercies of a HSE bed-manager at the time. I wasn't a client of Terence Casey's and contacted him on the advice of an aged aunt who remembered that her family had done business with his father in the distant past.
Bottom line: in my opinion, Casey's a good man!

patslatt

Corporal punishment in schools undermines children's self confidence and allows teachers to express anger and even cruelty,emotions that should be controlled and suppressed.Some teachers in the old days thought brutal,prolonged beatings were permissible. Possibly,punishment teaches kids to be stoical in the face of adversity in life. Detentions after class would be more humane for enforcing discipline but teachers don't use it much,apparently.

Some military organisations use beatings to toughen up the troops. The Russian army is notorious for it. The WW2 Japanese army had a custom of regularly punching up subordinates all the way from the top of the chain of command on down to foot soldiers. Witnessing this was one of the few amusements of British POWs. The French Foreign Legion in the old days used beatings with fists as punishment for disciplinary infractions.

As for increased Irish suicides,the causes are likely to be:
-increases in binge drinking and drug taking that trigger mental depressions
-the effect of the economic depression,resulting in disappointment of high materialistic expectations of contemporary society,especially among Celtic Tiger youth
-a decline in the sense of close knit communities that prevailed in the past
-a related decline of about half in the number of friends people have compared to a generation ago
-decline in social discipline and strength of character in an increasingly self indulgent society

Last edited:

General Urko

The comment made by that ass hole from Kerry is beyond comprehension!:mad:
Also remember in the past, suicides in Ireland were very often not recorded as such to allow the person to be buried with full rites! And indeed there was most probably a very high rate of it among Irish people abroad!

General Urko

What will we hear next from this fountain of wisdom? Oh let me guess, female genital mutilation should be introduced to stop promiscuity among women in our society!:mad:

dizillusioned

God be with the days...

Smacked senseless...
Whipped on the bottom...
Caned on the hands....

Ahhh yes, good training for my sef loathing and need to be dominated... All that was missing were leather straps and a ball gag... Happy Days!

ShoutingIsLeadership

Young people, especially young males are generally far more emotionally expressive than they ever have been in this country. Reintroduce corporal punishment and the cliamate of fear that that would entail and I guarentee that youth suicides would rise and not fall.
If corporal punishment was reintroduced, it would be teachers who would end up getting the battering in class. Or the car park.