South Korean Presidential Election 2017

Munnkeyman

So, after the impeachment and dismissal of the first female President of South Korea Park Geun-hye, the South Korean Presidential election is happening on Tuesday, the 9th of May. Her party, which has changed its name to the Saenuri Party, is pretty much a non-runner in this election having been demolished over the past 5 years.

Moon Jae-in lost the last election to the former incumbent and is looking likely to win the upcoming election.

Source - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Korean_presidential_election,_2017#Official_Campaign

The fugitives from the North said the front-runner, Moon Jae-in, might put their lives at risk if he won the only true opinion poll - the actual election.
The defectors' argument was that Mr Moon was closely involved in a previous left-of-centre government in Seoul which had closer ties with Pyongyang under what was known as the Sunshine Policy.South Korea's 'life or death' presidential election - BBC News

He has criticised the installation of the THAAD system, Trump's calls for South Korea to pay more for its defence and
trade agreements with the US.
Ex-commando Moon Jae-in favourite to win South Korean election

What are the major implications of his possible victory and is it wholly assured? Will there be another softening of rhetoric?

ne0ica

I was in South Korea during the Sunshine policy years.

Moon Jae-in and the left wing want to rejuvenate it.

The then President Kim Dae Jung coughed up $500 million to meet Kim Jong Il.

After years of aid and money flowing to North he got little in return.

No doubt Moon Jae-in too will be fleeced by Kim Jong Un.

And yet again when the game is up and the North has squeezed all the aid and concessions it can out of the South and then returns to its regular behaviour of Nuclear tests, missile launches and general belligerence no doubt the South Korean Left will yet again blame the Right, the Americans, and the Japanese.

Munnkeyman

This Washington Times take is interesting -
Having explained why Moon must be defeated, now here is the reason why the U.S. has the key to influence South Korean public opinion to help Hong’s victory.
South Korea presidential elections and U.S. policy - Washington Times
Yes, it's an opinion piece and the writer is from the Korean Freedom Alliance!

More info on the candidates from the NY Times here -
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/03/world/asia/south-korea-election-moon-jae-in-ahn-cheol-soo-hong-joon-pyo-trump.html?_r=0

Dame_Enda

Moon's seen as less dovish than Anh Cheol-Soo though.

Last edited:

Munnkeyman

I was in South Korea during the Sunshine policy years.

Moon Jae-in and the left wing want to rejuvenate it.

The then President Kim Dae Jung coughed up $500 million to meet Kim Jong Il.

After years of aid and money flowing to North he got little in return.

No doubt Moon Jae-in too will be fleeced by Kim Jong Un.

And yet again when the game is up and the North has squeezed all the aid and concessions it can out of the South and then returns to its regular behaviour of Nuclear tests, missile launches and general belligerence no doubt the South Korean Left will yet again blame the Right, the Americans, and the Japanese.
Most likely, with what's in charge in the North. Trump might not have helped with his interview on Reuters last week though -
He also said he wants South Korea to pay the cost of the U.S. THAAD anti-missile defense system, which he estimated at $1 billion, and intends to renegotiate or terminate a U.S. free trade pact with South Korea because of a deep trade deficit with Seoul. Asked when he would announce his intention to renegotiate the pact, Trump said: “Very soon. I’m announcing it now.”
Exclusive: Trump says 'major, major' conflict with North Korea possible, but seeks diplomacy | Reuters

ne0ica

This article is from seven years ago but it helps explain South Korea and their complex relationship with the North.

South Korea

NYCKY

I have a colleague that left South Korea as a youngster with his family but is now married to a local. They just got back from there two weeks ago and he was filling me on on the goings on.

There is one candidate that is being referred to as the South Korean Trump. I will talk to him tomorrow to get some more color on whomever that character is.

GDPR

I have a colleague that left South Korea as a youngster with his family but is now married to a local. They just got back from there two weeks ago and he was filling me on on the goings on.

There is one candidate that is being referred to as the South Korean Trump. I will talk to him tomorrow to get some more color on whomever that character is.

[video=youtube;mIQToVqDMb8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIQToVqDMb8[/video]

Munnkeyman

Hong Jun-pyo... Hong 'Trump' they're calling him -

"A more offensive instance would be in his autobiography there was a chapter entitled The Story of the Pig Stimulant, in which he described helping a friend who had feelings for a girl who didn't reciprocate those feelings. "He gave his friend a drug to help [him] rape her. His friend returned later with scratches, complaining that the drug had not worked.
South Korea's unusual presidential election: Meet the candidates - RN - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Dame_Enda

Controversy over Moon's attitude to LGBT community.

.........In a televised presidential debate, Moon said he opposes homosexuality in response to conservative candidate Hong Jun-pyo's remarks that gay soldiers were a source of weakness in Korean military. Moon's remark prompted immediate criticism from Sim Sang-jung, a rival candidate during the debate.[16] The remark also prompted outrage from gay rights activists, considering Moon's representation as the leading liberal candidate and former human rights lawyer. Some of the Moon's supporters dismissed the comments as a necessity to win, as South Korea tends to the conservative side in social issues.[17] Moon later clarified his comments suggesting he still believes there should be no discrimination based on one's sexual orientation........

parentheses

My theory is the Americans have been stirring the sh!t so as to stymie any rapprochement between the two Koreas

TheMushyStuff

South Korea became interest again:

[video=youtube;SUEHfpGdle4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUEHfpGdle4[/video]

IvoShandor

Twitter
yes
South Korea much better than North Korea
Well, that's not saying a lot! Sure Zimbabwe is much better than North Korea. And I'd say Somalia, Yemen, the Congo and Ciudad Juarez run it close.

Last edited:

NYCKY

The new President was sworn in this morning, just a day after the election. I spoke to my colleague and was told that normally there would be an interregnum of about two months but the need to get a new President in ASAP coupled with the decisive win meant made it easy for a quick swearing in.

The Trump candidate came a distant second beaten by about 20 points.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies