• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Soya beans to be replaced by maggots to feed to livestock. Trials under way.

Zamidan

Sync

It's not "interfering" with the feed chain. It's just changing what they're eating. Putting horse into beef produce is interfering.

Zamidan

Well Sync.This is were we differ. Horse is still a meat . Its not one type of protein sourced from Plants and changed to a protein made from insects. Its changing the order or what animals are eating. Look what happend the last time the protein was changed .

Plant eating animals should not be fed protein sourced from animals (or insects) that are not in the animals normal diet.

Im sure free range chickens love the odd maggot that it finds. But to have its grain and the protein it consumes changed so drasticly is only a recipe for disaster. Imho of course.

Boy M5

From memory Soya crops in US have been poor last few years. Certainly prices are high for soya for a couple of years. I think Argentinian farmers have been hoarding their produce too.

D

Dylan2010

you'll have roger dialling in soon to suggest that crickets have rights

wexfordman

you'll have roger dialling in soon to suggest that crickets have rights
Well, he "kill" figure will definately have to be revised upwards if they want to count the number of maggots killed to feed chickens!

googolplex

I'm not so sure if this is the right place for this.

Coming to your local supermarket soon: Chicken à la maggots - News - Food & Drink - The Independent

I dont have a answer for the growing world population ,But is this really the best way to go about it.

B.S.E part two.only maybe worse. The powers that be say we should eat more insects fine,great ,but once again interfering with feed for animals is a ticking time bomb waiting to go off.
Here's one of the research papers on this.

http://www.jeb.co.in/journal_issues/200907_jul09/paper_24.pdf

It doesn't seem to affect the quality of the meat. Insect larvae are part of the diet of many cultures without any adverse effects, so where's the panic?

Mossy Heneberry

I'm not so sure if this is the right place for this.

Coming to your local supermarket soon: Chicken à la maggots - News - Food & Drink - The Independent

I dont have a answer for the growing world population ,But is this really the best way to go about it.

B.S.E part two.only maybe worse. The powers that be say we should eat more insects fine,great ,but once again interfering with feed for animals is a ticking time bomb waiting to go off.
Well first off we don't have a growing world population and second, feeding maggots to chickens is no harm.

Brera

I rather eat a chicken that's been fed maggots over one thats been fed a diet of genetically modified soya beans !

An organic or free range chicken will have been eating plenty of maggots etc so I really don't see what the big deal is.

John Deere 5820

Excuse me while I find my high horse

I expect the most of ye have forgotten the true taste of chicken in the first place and there isn't a problem with chickens eating maggots, the reason I say people have forgotten the taste of chicken is because the chickens eaten now hardly see the light of day. Do many here know what a capon is?, young cocks were either before the chicken version of puberty (can I say **** in this context) I still slaughter a few every month for the mother and yes I do choke the chickens

GDPR

It's not "interfering" with the feed chain. It's just changing what they're eating. Putting horse into beef produce is interfering.
Chickens might eat maggots,* but cows don't. They eat grass. IMHO feeding them soybean is wrong, but not as wrong as maggots.

Good time to be a vegan, I think.

Cellach

Chickens might eat maggots,* but cows don't. They eat grass. IMHO feeding them soybean is wrong, but not as wrong as maggots.

Good time to be a vegan, I think.

GDPR

I went past a fisherman with his rod over an inlet in the Thames where a body, and body parts, had been found a week or so earlier. I told the man, but he went on fishing.

If he ate the fish (and they had eaten some of the human remains) would he be a cannibal eating human flesh processed by the fish?

GDPR

There is actually no mention of cows in the link Grace. It does say pigs though, which if I recall correctly, will eat anything.
I know, just thought I'd mention the abuse of cow food. They have been fed mashed up offal too, which became well known only after one of the farming scares when 1000s of cattle had to be slaughtered. Mashed up maggots might be cow food next.

Pigs will eat anything too. And so do most fish.

What is also bad for cows in some European countries (Austria for instance) they are kept penned up all the time in shelters and are fed hay from the fields surrounding them. I think that practice is cruel.

Zamidan

That's okay then ..ye are all happy with it.Good for you then. The problem isn't just feeding chickens ,beef lamb and pork will be affected. Never saw a cow or a sheep feast on maggots.

My problem is in case my op missed it was that a unnatural protein will be fed to livestock for the human food chain.Now bonemeal was fed to livestock another unnatural protein,and look what happened there.( free range chickens Might possibly eat a certain amount of maggots if they can find them out pecking outside ).So back to the issue that I have ,maggots that will be reared on animal waste will then in turn be turned into protein to feed back to said animal . And as it will be going into hard feed then it will be impossible to avoid unless you rear your own animals and never feed them hard feed .

Pigs and chickens are mentioned in the link but as far as I can see its all livestock .Heres another link .Hence the problem I have with it

Plan to feed livestock on maggots reared on cow and pig excrement in bid to satisfy rapidly-expanding global demand for meat | Mail Online

GDPR

That's okay then ..ye are all happy with it.Good for you then. The problem isn't just feeding chickens ,beef lamb and pork will be affected. Never saw a cow or a sheep feast on maggots.

My problem is in case my op missed it was that a unnatural protein will be fed to livestock for the human food chain.Now bonemeal was fed to livestock another unnatural protein,and look what happened there.( free range chickens Might possibly eat a certain amount of maggots if they can find them out pecking outside ).So back to the issue that I have ,maggots that will be reared on animal waste will then in turn be turned into protein to feed back to said animal . And as it will be going into hard feed then it will be impossible to avoid unless you rear your own animals and never feed them hard feed .
I'm not happy with it at all!