Spaceex launches mini satellites like confetti. Dramatic cuts in satellite communications and broadband internet costs likely.

Patslatt1

See Starlink (satellite constellation) - Wikipedia Spaceex is implementing Elon Musk's vision for launching bunches of cheap low lying mini satellites that promise dramatic cuts to the costs of satellite communications and broadband compared to conventional satellites. Could this technical breakthrough bring cheap broadband internet to all rural areas of the world including rural Ireland?

cozzy121

The over all plan will require 12,000, Satellites .
At 60 per launch that's 500 launches all prefect and flawless.
Wile I admire Mr Musk's vision I do not think spaceX will survive financially to see the 500th launch

Patslatt1

I stopped at Elton Musks vision...
You drive a Tesla?
Wile I admire Mr Musk's vision I do not think spaceX will survive financially to see the 500th launch
At 60 per launch, that's 12,000 divided by 60 equal to 200 launches.Won't Spaces earn money from the early launches? You seem to imply that it won't be profitable until thousands are launched.

cozzy121

You drive a Tesla?

At 60 per launch, that's 12,000 divided by 60 equal to 200 launches.Won't Spaces earn money from the early launches? You seem to imply that it won't be profitable until thousands are launched.
Apologies you are correct, it's 200 launches - no failures - and financed by either SpaceX themselves or by customers.

I stress the no failures part because the immense difficulty it is to launch something into space.
It's to SpaceX's credit that they make it seem easy, but it only SEEMS easy.

I have nothing but admiration for Must and the company, there really is nothing cooler than watching 2 of his boosters land side by side, but I I don't think it will last.

wombat

Apologies you are correct, it's 200 launches - no failures - and financed by either SpaceX themselves or by customers.

I stress the no failures part because the immense difficulty it is to launch something into space.
It's to SpaceX's credit that they make it seem easy, but it only SEEMS easy.
Its a huge investment and they are talking about 10 years to have the system of satellites in orbit.
Stories like this always remind me of Howard Hughes' plan to recover minerals from the sea bed. There were resolutions passed at the UN condemning the exploitation of world resources by the nasty capitalists. Years later, it was revealed that the mining ship was built on behalf of the CIA and used to recover a sunken Soviet submarine.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
One of the original young wildcat oilmen who strung a company together and bid for North Sea oil exploration block licenses told me some years back that on a visit to an exploration rig an old American engineer showed him the enormous amount of coal that had emerged as they drilled at various sites. The old engineer said that there was an enormous seam of coal running between Norway and Scotland and his bet that some day they'd be back drilling for what was previously regarded as a by-product.

Disillusioned democrat

I'm pretty sure people said the same about Edmund Cartwright back in the day...."500 looms????, never!!!!!

wombat

I have an ambition to visit Cape Canavaral to see a rocket launch but they are relatively rare so I don't know where 200 launches per year by a single company will be done.

Patslatt1

I have an ambition to visit Cape Canavaral to see a rocket launch but they are relatively rare so I don't know where 200 launches per year by a single company will be done.
Reusable rockets might do it.

wombat

Reusable rockets might do it.
Still need a launch pad, as far as I know there is another military site in California but unless they have a new way of launching rockets, there is no possibility of an additional 200 launches per year from Cape Canavaral. It still sounds more like a CIA cover story than anything else. :)

Patslatt1

Still need a launch pad, as far as I know there is another military site in California but unless they have a new way of launching rockets, there is no possibility of an additional 200 launches per year from Cape Canavaral. It still sounds more like a CIA cover story than anything else. :)
Reusable rockets might meet the target.

cozzy121

Oops looks like SapceX need to check their emails more often..

"
A SpaceX spokesperson said a bug in its on-call operating system prevented the team from seeing that the risk of a collision with the ESA craft may have increased.

“Had the Starlink operator seen the correspondence, we would have coordinated with ESA to determine best approach with their continuing with their manoeuvre or our performing a manoeuvre,” the spokesperson said

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies